Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.03
WE:Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: High GMAT/Low GPA: Next Steps/My Chances [#permalink]
NYU is within reach with this profile and scores.

Do reach out if you would like to have a deeper discussion on your applications strategy.

Just FYI: I am an NYU Stern alum - had received my admit with full tuition scholarship. So I think I can help with your strategy and school specific messaging.

Contact me at red@mbamindf.com or +919811307201
Intern
Intern
Send PM
TheIvyLeagueEdge wrote:
coltonaho wrote:
Hi all,

To start, I'll give a bit of background on my situation/goals. Essentially, I am looking to pursue an MBA (marketing focus) at NYU Stern, part-time. I took the GMAT for the first time yesterday, so things are now a bit clearer as to where I stand.

The Good:
GMAT: 760 (50 Quantitative, 44 Verbal, 6 Integrated Reasoning, TBD Writing)
Undergraduate Institution: Swarthmore College (Economics/Psychology double major)
Work Relevancy: ~3 years experience at top/largest ad agencies, promoted 3x

The Bad:
GPA: 3.0
Work Duration/Age: A little under 3 years total, 24 years old
Nothing Flashy on Application: I am a fairly straight forward High GMAT/Low GPA candidate with common-enough work experience

My question is fairly broad, but essentially I am looking to understand my chances given the above, as well as the most logical way to bolster my application to appear more compelling. If I am not admitted to Stern this go-around I will consider expanding my target school list, but I would be hesitant to 1.) attend a program that is not part-time 2.) attend a program outside of NYC unless it was HBS or Sloan or 3.) attend a program outside of the top tier.

Thanks all!

1) Good chances at the Top-10 (please give ethnicity as well)
2) WHY part time? Stern PT is way less competitive, and it will be fairly easy

OR is it you are just trying to Aggravate Consultants?

Thanks for the response!

1.) White
2.) A few reasons. I've made pretty quick advancements in my career thus far and would be hesitant to forego potential opportunities by leaving the workforce for a few years. I also don't have any immediate plans on changing field after school, so gaining more experience at the same time will be valuable. Furthermore, financing the degree is an intimidating proposition and two years of income will greatly help.

No aggravation intended, I am genuinely not that familiar with the intricacies of MBA apps/decisions and am trying to learn as best I can!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
IvyGroupeCEO wrote:
Hi coltonaho,

Thanks for sharing your background - with your very strong GMAT score, you should have a really good shot at NYU's part-time MBA program (despite the lower GPA, your higher GMAT score shows that you will be able to handle the rigor of the curriculum). You will want to be very clear in your application what your goals are and why the part-time MBA program is the right one for you. Hope that helps!

Best,
Shaifali

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
red989 wrote:
NYU is within reach with this profile and scores.

Do reach out if you would like to have a deeper discussion on your applications strategy.

Just FYI: I am an NYU Stern alum - had received my admit with full tuition scholarship. So I think I can help with your strategy and school specific messaging.

Contact me at red@mbamindf.com or +919811307201

Thank you! I'll reach out with further questions.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
coltonaho wrote:
Hi all,

To start, I'll give a bit of background on my situation/goals. Essentially, I am looking to pursue an MBA (marketing focus) at NYU Stern, part-time. I took the GMAT for the first time yesterday, so things are now a bit clearer as to where I stand.

The Good:
Undergraduate Institution: Swarthmore College (Economics/Psychology double major)

The Bad:
Nothing Flashy on Application: I am a fairly straight forward High GMAT/Low GPA candidate with common-enough work experience

My question is fairly broad, but essentially I am looking to understand my chances given the above, as well as the most logical way to bolster my application to appear more compelling. If I am not admitted to Stern this go-around I will consider expanding my target school list, but I would be hesitant to 1.) attend a program that is not part-time 2.) attend a program outside of NYC unless it was HBS or Sloan or 3.) attend a program outside of the top tier.

Thanks all!

Hi coltonaho,

Don't worry about your low GPA; your high GMAT more than makes up for it and is proof of your general ability to keep up with the academic program. Yes, you surely have a very good chance with the part-time program at Stern! :) Just focus on your essays and be sure to put forth a set of goals that logically align with your overall profile.

Should you have any follow-up queries, please do let us know.

Thank you :)

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ABatExpertsGlobal wrote:
coltonaho wrote:
Hi all,

The Good:

The Bad:

Thanks all!

Hi coltonaho,

Don't worry about your low GPA; your high GMAT more than makes up for it and is proof of your general ability to keep up with the academic program. Yes, you surely have a very good chance with the part-time program at Stern! :) Just focus on your essays and be sure to put forth a set of goals that logically align with your overall profile.

Should you have any follow-up queries, please do let us know.

Thank you :)

All the best!

Thank you for the feedback!
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
coltonaho wrote:
TheIvyLeagueEdge wrote:
coltonaho wrote:
Hi all,

The Good:

The Bad:

Thanks all!

1) Good chances at the Top-10 (please give ethnicity as well)
2) WHY part time? Stern PT is way less competitive, and it will be fairly easy

OR is it you are just trying to Aggravate Consultants?

Thanks for the response!

1.) White
2.) A few reasons. I've made pretty quick advancements in my career thus far and would be hesitant to forego potential opportunities by leaving the workforce for a few years. I also don't have any immediate plans on changing field after school, so gaining more experience at the same time will be valuable. Furthermore, financing the degree is an intimidating proposition and two years of income will greatly help.

No aggravation intended, I am genuinely not that familiar with the intricacies of MBA apps/decisions and am trying to learn as best I can!

Got it.
Since you already have a ton of response, feel free to connect directly/pm if you need more.

And I must say, other than your profile, I like your clarity in the reasons for the MBA.
Do feel free to pm/connect directly if you need more.
GMAT Club Bot