Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Modifiersx   Verb Tense/Formx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [1]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [3]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [3]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Re: His studies of ice-polished rocks in his Alpine home land, far outside [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
aakashbaweja wrote:
"When and in which" both are used to modify a time period but here the period is already defined by the word "age".

"age in which" is correct and not "age when"

this gives us 3-2 split.

past perfect is only used when we want to sequence 2 events. Since only 1 event is described here, so no need of past perfect.

we are left with only B.

WHEN CLAUSE can work as adverb: I learn gmat when you come
WHEN CLAUSE can work as an adjective, the age when you came is good.

"the age when" is correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 248 [5]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: His studies of ice-polished rocks in his Alpine home land, far outside [#permalink]
Kudos
Isn't that existence of great ice sheets occurred prior to his proposal of concept?, Do I need to consider them as two different events occurred in different time scale or is it a single event? I'm bit confused here.. Pls let me know where my logic goes wrong..
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31880 [7]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
snorkeler wrote:
Isn't that existence of great ice sheets occurred prior to his proposal of concept?, Do I need to consider them as two different events occurred in different time scale or is it a single event? I'm bit confused here.. Pls let me know where my logic goes wrong..

yeah you are correct that proposal of a concept and existence of great ice sheets were at two different times..

But the moment you say he proposed the concept of an age after going through some studies of..., it clearly shows that the age was naturally before he proposed about it existing..
There is no ambiguity in the chronological order..

And when there is no ambiguity, we can avoid the past perfect..

some more example,
The scientist proposed in 1976 that the dinosaurs became extinct during ice age..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
Here the 'in which' refers to the word 'age'. And the subject of the 'in which' is 'great ice sheets'.

In general, when you encounter a 'preposition + which' construction, the subject can be found in the clause that follows 'which'.
But, in a 'which' construction, the subject occurs before the 'which'.

For example - 1. the box of toffees, which is on the table, is expensive. Note that the subject of the which clause occurs before the which clause. Also, 'which' modifies that subject (the box).
(the subject is 'the box'; also note that since 'which' is followed by a singular verb, it cannot refer to 'toffees').

2. the box, in which toffees are kept, is made of aluminum. Here, the subject of the 'in which' clause is 'toffees'. But the 'in which' clause modifies 'the box'.

Hope this helps
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20706 [4]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Kudos
kiranjith wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 2015

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 72
Page: 685

His studies of ice-polished rocks in his Alpine homeland, far outside the range of present-day glaciers, led Louis Agassiz in 1837 to propose the concept of an age in which great ice sheets had existed in now currently temperate areas.

(A) in which great ice sheets had existed in now currently temperate areas
(B) in which great ice sheets existed in what are now temperate areas
(C) when great ice sheets existed where there were areas now temperate
(D) when great ice sheets had existed in current temperate areas
(E) when great ice sheets existed in areas now that are temperate

First Glance

The underline starts with in which. Glance at the answers to notice that other choices offer when instead. The sentence might contain a Modifier issue.

Issues

(1) Verb: had existed

The original sentence uses the past perfect: Ice sheets had existed. Other answers use the simple past existed. Which is correct?

Past perfect is used to denote the longer-ago of two past actions. In this case, the had existed action is paired with a comment about the climate in those same areas now. It's acceptable, then, to use simple past existed; don't use a more complex tense when a simple tense is acceptable. Eliminate answers (A) and (D).

(2) Meaning

In answer (A), now currently is redundant—both words mean the same thing. Eliminate answer (A), and examine the meaning in the other answers:

(B) existed in what are now temperate areas
(C) existed where there were areas now temperate
(D) existed in current temperate areas
(E) existed in areas now that are temperate

Answer (D) drops now and switches from currently to current. That word is modifying the adjective temperate, so it needs to be in the adverb form (currently). The adjective form current can only be used to modify nouns. Eliminate answer (D).

The other answers drop currently and use only now. Answers (B) and (C) are okay, but answer (E) has a meaning problem. The word now must be tied to a particular action or event: Something happened now. In answer (E), the word now is actually tied to existed: Sheets existed now that are temperate. Something can't be simultaneously in the past (existed) and happening now. Eliminate answer (E).

Answer (C) also mixes two time frames: were and now. They were [not] temperate before; they are temperate now. Eliminate answer (C).

The Correct Answer

Correct answer (B) fixes the initial verb error by switching to the simple past existed. The construction in what are now temperate areas properly indicates that the climate has changed in these areas. they used to be cold; they are now temperate.

Miscellaneous

Note: The in which versus when split turned out be a red herring! Both versions are acceptable.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.14
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Curly05 wrote:
His studies of ice-polished rocks in his Alpine home land, far outside the range of present-day glaciers, led Louis Agassiz in 1837 to propose the concept of an age in which great ice sheets had existed in now currently temperate areas.

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 11th Edition, 2005

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 59
Page: 646

The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 2015

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 72
Page: 685

Attachment:
01.jpg

Attachment:
02.jpg

Attachment:
03.jpg

I agree with the explanations provided. However, I have one query about the usage of plural tense in a clause starting with 'What'

My understanding is that 'What' needs a singular verb when 'What' acts as the subject of a clause. In this sentence, the clause staring with 'What' is a noun clause. Doesn't this mean that the verb after 'What' would be singular? Please help me solve my confusion.

Thanks in advance
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: IIM Bangalore
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [0]
Given Kudos: 326
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GRE 1: Q162 V149
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
The biggest thing here was the choice between which and when.

Though "when" looks tempting, one has to clearly understand the ambiguity it may create. "when" may refer to 1837 or the age (whose concept has been proposed in sentence). Due to this ambiguity, we should get rid of C,D E.

Of A and B, b is a clear winner, because of redundant use of "now currently"

Hence, B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Choice E: when great ice sheets existed in areas now that are temperate: Incorrect. The phrasing is not correct here. It should be “areas that are now temperate”.

Hi, can we use "that" here for plural "areas"?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 160
Send PM
Kudos
Hi GMATNinja
In one of the post you mentioned that when "what" is used as a preposition, we can substitute "what" with "the thing that" and check whether the sentence still makes sense.
I followed the above and now the sentence is:
(B) in which great ice sheets existed in the thing(or place) that are now temperate areas

The above sentence makes sense to me when I replaced "thing" with "place", thinking its of safe to do that, since instead of a "thing" the sentence is talking about a "place".
Please let me know if my understanding is correct?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63652 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
dreamofbest2020 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja
In one of the post you mentioned that when "what" is used as a preposition, we can substitute "what" with "the thing that" and check whether the sentence still makes sense.
I followed the above and now the sentence is:
(B) in which great ice sheets existed in the thing(or place) that are now temperate areas

The above sentence makes sense to me when I replaced "thing" with "place", thinking its of safe to do that, since instead of a "thing" the sentence is talking about a "place".
Please let me know if my understanding is correct?

That sounds perfect!!

I'm very happy that you didn't take my previous advice TOO literally and simply swap "what" with "the thing that" without using your brain. ;)

Instead, you recognized that this sentence is talking about a "place", not a "thing", so you were flexible in your approach. Nicely done.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 522
Send PM
Kudos
Hital wrote:
egmat wrote:
Choice E: when great ice sheets existed in areas now that are temperate: Incorrect. The phrasing is not correct here. It should be “areas that are now temperate”.

Hi, can we use "that" here for plural "areas"?

Thanks.

Yes Hital, we can use that to address "areas" here. That is because that is being used to begin a relative clause here and not as a demonstrative pronoun. It would have been incorrect to say that places. You would say Those places. However, when you are kicking of a relative clause, I would say that is number-agnostic.

Hope this helps.

Cheers! :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Curly05 wrote:
His studies of ice-polished rocks in his Alpine home land, far outside the range of present-day glaciers, led Louis Agassiz in 1837 to propose the concept of an age in which great ice sheets had existed in now currently temperate areas.

I initially eliminated C,D and E based on the "when" split considering it to be ambiguous. It could refer to either the year 1837 (if we ignore prepositional phrases) or the age.
However, I see some conflicting posts here on whether the usage of "when" is acceptable.

Expert Daagh's post seems to agree with my analysis
daagh wrote:
Here in the context, ‘when’ has a problem. It might mean that Louis proposed in 1837 when Ice sheets had existed. This twisted meaning renders the use of ‘When’ as inappropriate. Hence C, D, and E can be dumped even without proceeding further. The correct choice should be between A and B.; Of course, A is wrong because ‘now currently’ is redundancy. B is the correct choice.

While, egmat expert suggests that usage of "when" here is acceptable.
egmat wrote:
PS – Use of both “in what” and “when” is correct in the context of this sentence.

GMATNinja, could you please be the tie breaker and help clarify whether my approach was valid?
Thanks in advance! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
‘In which’ is used in cases, where we cannot use which directly in the context for some genuine reasons. Otherwise, in which’ means the same as ‘which’. For example, we cannot use ‘which’ when we refer to a period; we cannot use which when referring to a place. In such cases, we can still use the prepositional phrase ‘in which’ and make the correct meaning.

Ex 1: I belong to the golden times when elders were respected rather than unwelcome.
I belong to the golden times in which elders were respected rather than unwelcome.

Ex 2: In the olden Kerala where Matriarchy was in practice, women were dominant.
The olden Kerala in which Matriarchy was in practice, women were dominant.

The additional factor in favor of ‘in which’ is that the prepositional phrase can be used gainfully to replace the relative adverbs 'when' and 'where' as in the given a case.
Here in the context, ‘when’ has a problem. It might mean that Louis proposed in 1837 when Ice sheets had existed. This twisted meaning renders the use of ‘When’ as inappropriate. Hence C, D, and E can be dumped even without proceeding further. The correct choice should be between A and B.; Of course, A is wrong because ‘now currently’ is redundancy. B is the correct choice.

In Ex 2 here, isn't "in which" introducing an ambiguity ? As you said, "in which" can be used to replace both "when" and "where". In this sentence, with use of "in which" makes it difficult to identify if you are referring to the old period or kerala. Please clarify
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
azhr
Where is the the phrase 'old period' or the word 'Kerala' in example 2? There is only 'olden Kerala".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
egmat wrote:
Hi Gyanendra,

Here is my response to your question on this official sentence.

His studies of ice-polished rocks in his Alpine homeland, far outside the range of present-day glaciers, led Louis Agassiz in 1837 to propose the concept of an age in which great ice sheets had existed in now currently temperate areas.

Meaning Analysis:

In 1837, Louis Agassiz studied the ice-polished rocks of his Alpine homeland, far outside the range of present-day glaciers. These studies led him to propose the concept of ice age. During this age, great sheets of ice existed in the areas that are now temperate areas.

Error Analysis:

1. Use of past perfect tense “had existed” is incorrect in this sentence because we use past perfect tense to denote the earlier event in presence of two past events. Past perfect tense establishes the time sequencing between the two past events. However, here we do not have two events that are related to each other in regards to the timing of their happening. The fact that the ice age existed does not depend on Agassiz’s studies. Also, the temperate areas exist in the present time. So there is no question of using past perfect tense in the sentence.

2. Use of “now” and “currently” together leads to redundancy error.

PoE:
(A) in which great ice sheets had existed in now currently temperate areas: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

(B) in which great ice sheets existed in what are now temperate areas: Correct. This choices use the correct verb tense – simple past.

(C) when great ice sheets existed where there were areas now temperate: Incorrect. This choice is awkward and non- precise.

(D) when great ice sheets had existed in current temperate areas: Incorrect.
i. This choice repeats the verb tense error of choice A.
ii. “Current” should actually be “currently”.

(E) when great ice sheets existed in areas now that are temperate: Incorrect. Placement of “now” is not correct.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

I am still confused with the past perfect explanation. The reason of why past perfect is required is because isn't the sentence saying that ice ages existed in areas that are now temperate? Meaning, the ice ages existed first (use of had) and now you have areas that are temperate?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63652 [6]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos