Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [0]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Re: Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and [#permalink]
5.The attitude of the author of the passage toward the work of C. Vann Woodward is best described as one of

(A) respectful regard
(B) qualified approbation
(C) implied skepticism
(D) pointed criticism
(E) fervent advocacy

Option c , d and e can be easily eliminated. In the passage the author writes that
' Yet, like Paine, Woodward had an unerring sense of the revolutionary moment, and of how historical evidence could undermine the mythological tradition that was crushing the dreams of new social possibilities. '

this line suggests respect and regard also nowhere in the passage the author approves or praises the work of C. Vann Woodward he simply quotes that Martin Luther King, Jr., testified to the profound EFFECT of The Strange Career of Jim Crow on the civil rights movement by praising the book and quoting it frequently.
so the answer is A.

Originally posted by goofytiwari69 on 12 Jul 2018, 00:03.
Last edited by goofytiwari69 on 13 Jul 2018, 00:33, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 209
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Re: Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and [#permalink]
In Ques 6, the answer choice E mentions Jim Crow laws did much more than merely reinforce a tradition of segregation.
This is precisely what Van Woodward expressed in his University of Virginia lectures.

Read following lines from the passage:

....Vann Woodward delivered a lecture series at the University of Virginia which challenged the prevailing dogma concerning the history, continuity, and uniformity of racial segregation in the South. He argued that the Jim Crow laws of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries not only codified traditional practice but also were a determined effort to erase the considerable progress made by Black people during and after Reconstruction in the 1870’s....

No other answer choice correctly points this out. Hence (E) is correct.

Hope this helps.
subhadeepb4 wrote:
Can someone explain question 6.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Even I was thinking on the same lines, but to answer the question one may not necessarily know that. The passage is sufficient to answer the questions associated with it.

GittinGud wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
ShashankDave wrote:
Somebody please help with Q3. I didn't understand the meaning of handicaps even when I read the passage. Please somebody explain the meaning in the passage. Also in the last question, please explain why A is wrong.

Quote:
3. Which of the following is the best example of writing that is likely to be subject to the kinds of “handicaps” referred to in line 27?

(A) A history of an auto manufacturing plant written by an employee during an auto-buying boom
(B) A critique of a statewide school-desegregation plan written by an elementary school teacher in that state
(C) A newspaper article assessing the historical importance of a United States President written shortly after the President has taken office
(D) A scientific paper describing the benefits of a certain surgical technique written by the surgeon who developed the technique
(E) Diary entries narrating the events of a battle written by a soldier who participated in the battle

Quote:
Ten years later, in a preface to the second revised edition, Woodward confessed with ironic modesty that the first edition “had begun to suffer under some of the handicaps that might be expected in a history of the American Revolution published in 1776.”

In this sentence, a "handicap" is a challenge or an obstacle (i.e. "A fear of public speaking is a severe handicap to anyone running for public office.").
In 1776, the American Revolution was in its early stages. It would be difficult to write a history of a revolution while the revolution is still in its early stages. It would be easier to write such a history after the revolution so that you could look back and get the full picture.

Similarly, it would be difficult to assess the historical importance of a US President shortly after that President has taken office (and yes, I'm biting my tongue in a desperate effort keep this forum politically neutral). It would be easier to assess the historical importance of a President after that President's term is over. Hence, choice (C) is the best option.

Quote:
6. Which of the following best describes the new idea expressed by C. Vann Woodward in his University of Virginia lectures in 1954?

(A) Southern racial segregation was continuous and uniform.
(B) Black people made considerable progress only after Reconstruction.
(C) Jim Crow legislation was conventional in nature.
(D) Jim Crow laws did not go as far in codifying traditional practice as they might have.
(E) Jim Crow laws did much more than merely reinforce a tradition of segregation.

As for the last question, refer to the following portion: "In the fall of 1954, for example, C. Vann Woodward delivered a lecture series at the University of Virginia which challenged the prevailing dogma concerning the history, continuity, and uniformity of racial segregation in the South."

Woodward challenged the idea that racial segregation in the South was continuous and uniform. Choice (A) represents the "prevailing dogma" that Woodward challenged, not Woodward's new idea.

I hope that helps!

Please let us know where the passage suggests that the american revolution was at it's early stages in 1776.
The passage doesn't suggest that the american revolution was at it's early stages in 1776. This is assumed.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I generally go about questions like these by eliminating the incorrect ones and by hoping my vocabulary doesn't fail me with the answer choices that are left after elimination.
goofytiwari69 wrote:
5.The attitude of the author of the passage toward the work of C. Vann Woodward is best described as one of

(A) respectful regard
(C) implied skepticism
(D) pointed criticism
(E) fervent advocacy

Option c , and e can be easily eliminated. In the passage the author writes that
' Yet, like Paine, Woodward had an unerring sense of the revolutionary moment, and of how historical evidence could undermine the mythological tradition that was crushing the dreams of new social possibilities. '

this line suggests respect and regard also nowhere in the passage the author approves or praises the work of C. Vann Woodward he simply quotes that Martin Luther King, Jr., testified to the profound EFFECT of The Strange Career of Jim Crow on the civil rights movement by praising the book and quoting it frequently.
so the answer is A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 211
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
@abhimahna,@daagh,@KarishmaB,souvonik2k
Author mentions great work such as lecturing against dogma . He also explains that book was highly praised and mentioned many times by Martin Luther King Jr.IMO he is advocating his work by giving example of the praises by Martin Jr. He also tries to explain that he is qualified because author has done his homework for the court case.
Overall i see more of advocacy than respect in passage.Please help he understand this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
it took me 11 ins to do this passage. Is it acceptable? and i got 2 wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 451 [0]
Given Kudos: 883
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V37
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Can anyone please give an explanation for Question 1?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
PriyankaPalit7 wrote:
Can anyone please give an explanation for Question 1?

Here is the first paragraph of the passage:
Quote:
Historians sometimes forget that history is continually being made and experienced before it is studied, interpreted, and read. These latter activities have their own history, of course, which may impinge in unexpected ways on public events. It is difficult to predict when “new pasts” will overturn established historical interpretations and change the course of history.

Let's say that an event occurred in the 1800's -- it is "made and experienced" at that exact time.

Then, a historian comes along and studies, interprets, and reads about that event. His/her work creates an "established historical interpretation" of that event.

Later, another historian decides to study/interpret/read about the same event, and comes up with a different interpretation. This historian has created a new way of looking at the past, which overturns the established historical interpretation. In other words, the work of this latest historian creates a "new past" that differs from the way people previously understood the past event.

This definition of "new pasts" fits well with answer choice (C):

Quote:
(C) ["new pasts" can be described as the] change in people’s understanding of the past due to more recent historical writing

(C) is the correct answer to question #1.

I hope that helps!

Why it is not B ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Quick summary:
1 para: the article is about the interpretation of history and how the interpretation overruns existing history
2 para: the author provides an example on how CVW provides an alternative interpretation on JC law, and how is the alternative interpretation different from old one. Also mentioned source/origin of CVW's new interpretation.
3 para: CVW himself recognized a limitation of his book/idea. This self-criticism/self-recognition was compared with TP. TP's intention is discussed. CVW's intention is discussed. MLK's praise pointed out.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1037 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
ShashankDave wrote:
Somebody please help with Q3. I didn't understand the meaning of handicaps even when I read the passage. Please somebody explain the meaning in the passage. Also in the last question, please explain why A is wrong.

Quote:
3. Which of the following is the best example of writing that is likely to be subject to the kinds of “handicaps” referred to in line 27?

(A) A history of an auto manufacturing plant written by an employee during an auto-buying boom
(B) A critique of a statewide school-desegregation plan written by an elementary school teacher in that state
(C) A newspaper article assessing the historical importance of a United States President written shortly after the President has taken office
(D) A scientific paper describing the benefits of a certain surgical technique written by the surgeon who developed the technique
(E) Diary entries narrating the events of a battle written by a soldier who participated in the battle

Quote:
Ten years later, in a preface to the second revised edition, Woodward confessed with ironic modesty that the first edition “had begun to suffer under some of the handicaps that might be expected in a history of the American Revolution published in 1776.”

In this sentence, a "handicap" is a challenge or an obstacle (i.e. "A fear of public speaking is a severe handicap to anyone running for public office.").
In 1776, the American Revolution was in its early stages. It would be difficult to write a history of a revolution while the revolution is still in its early stages. It would be easier to write such a history after the revolution so that you could look back and get the full picture.

Similarly, it would be difficult to assess the historical importance of a US President shortly after that President has taken office (and yes, I'm biting my tongue in a desperate effort keep this forum politically neutral). It would be easier to assess the historical importance of a President after that President's term is over. Hence, choice (C) is the best option.

Quote:
6. Which of the following best describes the new idea expressed by C. Vann Woodward in his University of Virginia lectures in 1954?

(A) Southern racial segregation was continuous and uniform.
(B) Black people made considerable progress only after Reconstruction.
(C) Jim Crow legislation was conventional in nature.
(D) Jim Crow laws did not go as far in codifying traditional practice as they might have.
(E) Jim Crow laws did much more than merely reinforce a tradition of segregation.

As for the last question, refer to the following portion: "In the fall of 1954, for example, C. Vann Woodward delivered a lecture series at the University of Virginia which challenged the prevailing dogma concerning the history, continuity, and uniformity of racial segregation in the South."

Woodward challenged the idea that racial segregation in the South was continuous and uniform. Choice (A) represents the "prevailing dogma" that Woodward challenged, not Woodward's new idea.

I hope that helps!

GMATNinja for us to get Q3 right would we not need to have outside knowledge about the American revolution? where can we infer that in 1776 the revolution was still in its early stages?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1037 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

Q2, Explained

raveesh1203 wrote:
Need help with Q2 .
According to C. Vann ..Jim crow laws codified traditional practice + effort to erase progress made by black people..

He challenged prevailing dogma when he said this.

So should'nt the prevailing dogma be that jim crows law were passed for uniformity and maintain order ... i.e. option B

Quote:
2. It can be inferred from the passage that the “prevailing dogma” (line 10) held that

To answer this question, let’s take a closer look at the text:

"In the fall of 1954, for example, C. Vann Woodward delivered a lecture series at the University of Virginia which challenged the prevailing dogma concerning the history, continuity, and uniformity of racial segregation in the South.”

"Concerning" means "about." If I mention that I have a belief concerning cat videos, I haven't told you what the content of my belief is. Maybe I love cat videos, or maybe I hate them. Perhaps I have an interesting theory about cat videos and why they’re so popular. Likewise, when the author mentions “the prevailing dogma concerning the history, continuity, and uniformity of racial segregation in the South," we have learned nothing about what the prevailing dogma was. We only know that there was some dominant belief about the history, continuity, and uniformity of racial segregation in the South. Let's keep reading.

"He argued that the Jim Crow laws of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries not only codified traditional practice but also were a determined effort to erase the considerable progress made by Black people during and after Reconstruction in the 1870’s.

Aha! Vann Woodward argued that Jim Crow not only codified traditional practice, but also meant to erase the progress that black people had made. His argument says that Jim Crow wasn't just turning traditions into law (this was the existing belief about the history, continuity, and uniformity of racial segregation). According to Van Woodward, Jim Crow was also undoing progress that black people had had made during Reconstruction (this was the revisionist view that made a big impact on how people interpreted the continuity of Jim Crow as a traditional practice).

To help understand the logical structure here, consider the following example:
  • Say that the prevailing dogma about butter is that it is bad for your heart. To keep things simple, let's say that this is the only bad thing about butter according to the prevailing view.
  • You then conduct a bunch of research related to butter and conclude that butter also kills brain cells (let's hope not!).
  • You then might say, "Butter is NOT ONLY bad for your heart BUT ALSO bad for your brain!"
  • The "not only" part was the accepted dogma, while the "but also" was something new. This new discovery challenges the existing view, which is that butter is only bad for your heart.
  • Note that you are NOT saying that butter is good for your heart, but you are still challenging the prevailing dogma.

Similarly:
  • The prevailing dogma saw Jim Crow as a continuation of traditional, discriminatory practices.
  • Vann Woodward argued that Jim Crow was also a reversal of Reconstruction.

Let's make sure we review every answer choice and confirm whether it matches this understanding.

Quote:
(A) Jim Crow laws were passed to give legal status to well-established discriminatory practices in the South

This matches what we’ve read. At the time, people believed that Jim Crow laws had codified (i.e. made into law) traditional practices of discrimination against black people. Vann Woodward challenged this belief in the historical continuity of racial segregation by arguing that Jim Crow laws also erased the prior progress black people had made during Reconstruction.

Quote:
(B) Jim Crow laws were passed to establish order and uniformity in the discriminatory practices of different southern states

Was the point of Jim Crow to reduce differences between individual states? No. Vann Woodward challenged a widely held belief in the historical continuity of Jim Crow, not the geographic continuity of Jim Crow. Eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) Jim Crow laws were passed to erase the social gains that Black people had achieved since Reconstruction

This is what Vann Woodward argued, not the dogma he argued against. Eliminate (C).

Quote:
(D) the continuity of racial segregation in the South was disrupted by passage of Jim Crow laws

Both Vann Woodward and people of his time believed that Jim Crow had codified, not disrupted, traditional practices of racial segregation. Eliminate (D).

Quote:
(E) the Jim Crow laws of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries were passed to reverse the effect of earlier Jim Crow laws

There is no mention of "earlier" Jim Crow Laws anywhere in the passage. Eliminate (E).

(A) is the best choice available.

GMATNinja
i thought that not only x but also y here would mean that the prevailing dogma was wrong about two things:
1) People thought that he's doing the OPPOSITE of turning traditions into law. Basically the laws were being eradicated. And,
2) people thought that the laws had a considerable effort to improve the conditions of black people

how would we differentiate this understanding from the one mentioned by you?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
RB95 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Could someone please help me with Question number 3. It feels very not-GMAT like for them
to expect us to know some information regarding the passage contents. How would
we (non-americans) understand what the word 'handicap' refers to if we do not know that the
American Revolution was ongoing in 1776 or just ended?????

Hi RB95,

Please refer this answer by expert:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/historians-s ... l#p1950621

Let me know if you still have doubts.
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 891
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Schools: Rotman '24
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V34
GMAT 2: 360 Q21 V19
GMAT 3: 400 Q27 V19
GPA: 4
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
what is the difficulty level of this passage ??
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32914 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
nityakaul02 wrote:

The difficulty level of this passage is hard (700-level).

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Dear Experts,

In Question 1 (as below), between answer choice (C) and (E), why is (C) correct?
The passage does mention this: it is difficult to predict when “new pasts” will overturn established historical interpretations and change the course of history. While in (C), we are not sure whether the change in people's understanding is due to more recent historical writing or due to some other history being created before the activities of studying, writing and interpreting the history.

1. The “new pasts” mentioned in line 6 can best be described as the

(C) change in people’s understanding of the past due to more recent historical writing

(E) difficulty of predicting when a given historical interpretation will be overturned

Kindly help resolve.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

Q5 Choices A and B, Explained

arvind910619 wrote:
5. The attitude of the author of the passage toward the work of C. Vann Woodward is best described as one of

(A) respectful regard
(C) implied skepticism
(D) pointed criticism
(E) fervent advocacy

I am confused between A and B in question 5.
I understood the reasoning behind eliminating C,D and E but not for eliminating B .

Can you please delineate these to options and how to eliminate B

Approbation is another way of saying "praise." Qualified has multiple meanings. When used to describe a statement that someone is making, it means “limited” — not “meeting the necessary qualifications.” For instance:
  • “Bob qualified his praise of the film with a critique of a major plot hole.”
  • “Maria wasn’t happy with the candidate’s debate performance, so she offered a qualified endorsement that didn’t attract any new voters. On the other hand, Reema’s unqualified praise for the candidate motivated her entire neighborhood to show up and vote.”

The author is praising Vann Woodward’s work, but this praise doesn’t come with significant limitations or doubts. It’s consistently positive, as Vann Woodward’s lectures provide a great example for the author’s point, and the author clearly has a high opinion of the impact these lectures made on the events of their time. That’s why we eliminate (B).

Now let's check on choice (A). "Regard" is another way of saying "attention" or "consideration," and the regard that this author pays to Vann Woodward is surely respectful. This is more in line with the author’s attitude than “qualified approbation,” so we’re sticking with (A).

Thanks for the questions, everybody! I hope that the answers make some sense.

Are we expected to know the synonyms for 700+ level questions, just like in Q5 of this passage? I faced difficulty in answering this question solely on the basis of lacking a bit of vocabulary (synonyms) for 'approbation'.

Kindly help know.

Thanks!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
nityakaul02 wrote:

The difficulty level of this passage is hard (700-level).

Thank you

Hi Sajjad1994

If the paragraph is hard to read ( dense passage) but questions are straightforward ( you can not know unless you reach solving the questions) and if the paragraph is easy but the questions are tricky, level would be treated as 700s in both these scenarios?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts