Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 22 Jul 2019, 21:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

HKUST - 2nd Round Applications

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
HKUST - 2nd Round Applications  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2016, 01:07
Hello All,

A quick breakdown of my background/experience:
- Bachelor's & Masters in Chemical Engineering
- 4.5 years of experience in the Oil & Gas industry (worked in London & Houston, Texas)
- Just started a new position in the Marine industry (as the Oil & Gas market is in the gutter) as a project manager in Oman.

I will be applying to the HKUST full time MBA program. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the first round deadline of 9th November because I took my GMAT last month and did pretty atrociously (570). I have signed up for a retake in mid December.

My question to you guys -
1) What kind of GMAT score is acceptable? I will of course be aiming for 700+ but realistically it may turn out to be 650+. Is this kind of score OK? Would I meet the minimum for the application? I know the GMAT isn't the solo determinant for a successful application but a rough idea of what kind of scores are good or at least acceptable would be important to know.
2) How much of a disadvantage am I at when applying in the 2nd round as opposed to the 1st? As I mentioned earlier, the reason for applying in 2nd round is because I need to up my GMAT score.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Statistics
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Re: HKUST - 2nd Round Applications  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2016, 19:47
Hi Cedric,

As you said, GMAT is just one of the determinants. HKUST does not have a minimum cutoff range as far as I know. The median score for the current intake is 690 - which simply means that half of the current batch has a score less than 690. It is just that you have to compensate your low gmat score with a compelling story. The other way round is also true - getting 700+ does not guarantee an interview call unless your essays are decent at the very least.

About the second question - applying in the first 2 rounds is perfectly alright. Both have their advantages and disadvantages (from an individuals perspective). By the end of 2nd round, many candidates are shortlisted so the colleges typically get picky. The competition increases in round 2 as you are going up against a bigger pool of applicants and also the people who got applied in R1. Having said that, since you are looking to bump up your scores, you might be better of applying in R2.That also gives you time to research about the schools, their course structures etc.

Best,
Mridul
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2016, 22:41
mridul87 wrote:
Hi Cedric,

As you said, GMAT is just one of the determinants. HKUST does not have a minimum cutoff range as far as I know. The median score for the current intake is 690 - which simply means that half of the current batch has a score less than 690. It is just that you have to compensate your low gmat score with a compelling story. The other way round is also true - getting 700+ does not guarantee an interview call unless your essays are decent at the very least.

About the second question - applying in the first 2 rounds is perfectly alright. Both have their advantages and disadvantages (from an individuals perspective). By the end of 2nd round, many candidates are shortlisted so the colleges typically get picky. The competition increases in round 2 as you are going up against a bigger pool of applicants and also the people who got applied in R1. Having said that, since you are looking to bump up your scores, you might be better of applying in R2.That also gives you time to research about the schools, their course structures etc.

Best,
Mridul

Hi Mridul,

Sorry for the late response and thanks for your reply! I have now devoted most of my energy to studying for the GMAT and I am seeing some improvement.

I have noticed that the GMAT score is not required for the online application for HKUST MBA, one can instead supply the date at which they plan to take the GMAT. Do you think it is better to complete the online application, with essays and supply the GMAT test date? Or would it be better to have the GMAT done with the scores and then apply? Do you know if HKUST will still review the application without the GMAT score? I ask this because I applied for HKU and only supplied the GMAT test date. I got an interview with them within a week of submitting my online application.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Statistics
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2016, 01:36
Hi Cedric,

Short answer to your question would be Yes. You can apply without a GMAT score but you need to specify the GMAT date I believe. The admissions team will take your interviews if they find the application interesting but the final result will be out only after the scores are shared with them.

Best Regards,
Mridul

cedric63 wrote:
mridul87 wrote:
Hi Cedric,

Best,
Mridul

Hi Mridul,

Sorry for the late response and thanks for your reply! I have now devoted most of my energy to studying for the GMAT and I am seeing some improvement.

I have noticed that the GMAT score is not required for the online application for HKUST MBA, one can instead supply the date at which they plan to take the GMAT. Do you think it is better to complete the online application, with essays and supply the GMAT test date? Or would it be better to have the GMAT done with the scores and then apply? Do you know if HKUST will still review the application without the GMAT score? I ask this because I applied for HKU and only supplied the GMAT test date. I got an interview with them within a week of submitting my online application.

Cheers!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: HKUST - 2nd Round Applications   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2016, 01:36

HKUST - 2nd Round Applications

new topic post reply Update application status