Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Completed CFA exams
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Booth '17
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Other (Investment Banking)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [2]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [2]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: HKUST-Average Salary $637,023! Is this for real? [#permalink]
Kudos
MacFauz wrote:
maxLRok wrote:
I was reading up on Bloomberg Business week this weekend and I came across the above astronomical figure. I am shocked. This must be a typo on the Bloomberg Businessweek website.
Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it time for me to learn Chinese and apply to Hong Kong University of Science and Technology?

Link to BB website: https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... itech.html

Haha... First.. You need not learn Chinese to apply to HKUST. Pretty much everyone speaks english in Hong Kong and IMHO it is the most beautiful city in the world.

And yes I guess it should be HK Dollars. I do not think any company would be willing to offer USD 600k to a fresher from college.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

There is no language called Chinese :lol: ... In HK they Speak cantonese and in mainland Mandrin.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
gurpreetsingh wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
maxLRok wrote:
I was reading up on Bloomberg Business week this weekend and I came across the above astronomical figure. I am shocked. This must be a typo on the Bloomberg Businessweek website.
Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it time for me to learn Chinese and apply to Hong Kong University of Science and Technology?

Haha... First.. You need not learn Chinese to apply to HKUST. Pretty much everyone speaks english in Hong Kong and IMHO it is the most beautiful city in the world.

And yes I guess it should be HK Dollars. I do not think any company would be willing to offer USD 600k to a fresher from college.

There is no language called Chinese :lol: ... In HK they Speak cantonese and in mainland Mandrin.

Apparently there is a language, as well as a language family, called chinese. Its one of the 4 official languages in Singapore.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Send PM
Vips0000 wrote:

Apparently there is a language, as well as a language family, called chinese. Its one of the 4 official languages in Singapore.

Very strange !! Because Chinese language itself means a cluster of languages just as we can say Indian language.
When we say Indian language it could be group of languages but not a language.
Mandrin is the language that has the script and rest of them are dialects. But I checked the wikipedia and it has stated chinese as language.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [0]
Send PM
Haha... I think maybe the script would be the same... i.e The same characters in written mean the same thing but pronounced differently... There maybe a chinese script... But from the way it is read, it could be divided into cantonese and mandarin... I think even the Japanese Kanji script is very similar to the chinese script..

SVP
SVP
Send PM
MacFauz wrote:
Haha... I think maybe the script would be the same... i.e The same characters in written mean the same thing but pronounced differently... There maybe a chinese script... But from the way it is read, it could be divided into cantonese and mandarin... I think even the Japanese Kanji script is very similar to the chinese script..

Yes the dialects are supposed to have same script. Japanese is different script but to us they look similar, not only the language but also the people. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [0]
Send PM
gurpreetsingh wrote:
MacFauz wrote:

Yes the dialects are supposed to have same script. Japanese is different script but to us they look similar, not only the language but also the people. :)

The hragana script is very different.. Yes.. But I think the Kanji script is almost the same... :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
MacFauz wrote:
gurpreetsingh wrote:
MacFauz wrote:

The hragana script is very different.. Yes.. But I think the Kanji script is almost the same... :)

The Kanji meaning in Japanese does not correspond to the Chinese meaning though. Even more confusing is the fact that they replicate Cantonese characters but in mainland China they use simplified Chinese characters which can look very different!

Also if the average salary was that high I think they would have a huge influx of applicants!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
maxLRok wrote:

BTW, as per your link : :-D

average Salary
$81,670
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: ESADE '15 (A)
Send PM
I would like to add my two cents here:
1) Chinese is a family of language. It has two writing scripts: Simplified (used in Mainland China) and Traditional (used elsewhere). Since Traditional script is difficult to learn, Simplified script was developed, which in turn helped increase literacy rate in China. Chinese family of languages has many different dialects. Major dialects are Mandarin (spoken in most of the regions - China, Taiwan, Singapore etc) and Cantonese (spoken mainly in Hong Kong).
2) If you look at Japanese script carefully, it looks very different than Chinese script. Initially, one might think that all the characters look similar. But on careful observation, the differences become more pronounced. However, Japanese script uses some of the Chinese characters.

And to the dude who was surprised with the astronomical salary figure: You need to focus more on critical reasoning :P
SVP
SVP
Send PM
nilaybadavne wrote:
I would like to add my two cents here:
1) Chinese is a family of language. It has two writing scripts: Simplified (used in Mainland China) and Traditional (used elsewhere). Since Traditional script is difficult to learn, Simplified script was developed, which in turn helped increase literacy rate in China. Chinese family of languages has many different dialects. Major dialects are Mandarin (spoken in most of the regions - China, Taiwan, Singapore etc) and Cantonese (spoken mainly in Hong Kong).
2) If you look at Japanese script carefully, it looks very different than Chinese script. Initially, one might think that all the characters look similar. But on careful observation, the differences become more pronounced. However, Japanese script uses some of the Chinese characters.

And to the dude who was surprised with the astronomical salary figure: You need to focus more on critical reasoning :P

Yes CR is imp :).
I m working in Malaysia and many my chinese colleagues talk in cantonese. Those who have studied in chinese schools know mandrin too. Otherwise there are many who just know how to speak cantonese and cant read or write chinese script. And many of them are not so good in mandrin too. In Singapore too the situation is same. Though I can not judge which dialect are they speaking but when I feel they talk rhythmically it is cantonese....and when more stress is laid on the words it is mandrin.

Initially all looked same. But now at least I can judge the races. But I m sure I wont be able to judge whether from china or Taiwan. I used to try before but now I do not...... I have stopped differentiating people. One of the good quality I have earned. The more we try the more we become racist.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gurpreetsingh wrote:
I m working in Malaysia and many my chinese colleagues talk in cantonese. Those who have studied in chinese schools know mandrin too. Otherwise there are many who just know how to speak cantonese and cant read or write chinese script. And many of them are not so good in mandrin too. In Singapore too the situation is same. Though I can not judge which dialect are they speaking but when I feel they talk rhythmically it is cantonese....and when more stress is laid on the words it is mandrin.

Initially all looked same. But now at least I can judge the races. But I m sure I wont be able to judge whether from china or Taiwan. I used to try before but now I do not...... I have stopped differentiating people. One of the good quality I have earned. The more we try the more we become racist.

Ha ha... Yes, most Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, Koreans look very similar. It becomes difficult to tell from which country a person is till you hear them speaking in their native language.
Similar cases exist in Indian subcontinent. Unless you hear a person speaking his mother tongue, you won't be able to guess from where he/she is (unless there are visual clues, such as Name and dressing style).

Reading Chinese script is an easy task compared to writing! Speaking mandarin is altogether a different ballpark!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gurpreetsingh wrote:

Ha ha... Yes, most Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, Koreans look very similar. It becomes difficult to tell from which country a person is till you hear them speaking in their native language.
Similar cases exist in Indian subcontinent. Unless you hear a person speaking his/her mother tongue, you won't be able to guess from where he/she is (unless there are visual clues, such as Name and dressing style).

Reading Chinese script is an easy task compared to writing! Speaking mandarin or Cantonese is altogether a different ballpark!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
gurpreetsingh wrote:
maxLRok wrote:

BTW, as per your link : :-D

average Salary
$81,670

Looks like I wasn't the only one confused. They must have gotten a lot of emails about this and gone ahead and updated the page. 81 makes more sense.

And also, when they posted that 600,000+ number, they had the dollar sign "$" I thought each currency has its own sign but according to wikipedia I am wrong. bummer
GMAT Club Bot