Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [2]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Re: hooooorible exam attempt [#permalink]
hello, kaplan is a good guide indeed but it is not enough on its own, you should study real gmat questions they have 3 official guides : verbal,quant and a big mixed guide. they also give 2 free tests on mba.com with real gmat questions. you can also buy 4 more gmat tests from them if you think you need them. i would also like to recommend gmat club test bank, they have harder than usual questions that will make you scratch your brain.

540 is not a good score but not bad for a start ! chill, practice more real gmat questions because practice makes perfect.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1920 [0]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
bhs90 - Welcome to GMAT Club!!

First, do you know what most GMAT 700 scores have in common? They all are extremely involved in this forum. Too bad you chose to make your first forum post outlining your not-so-impressive test performance. Instead, you should have scouted the various sections of this forum to solve questions, provide solutions, clear doubts, pose questions, among other. Doing all those things would have sure gotten you a better score.

That said, I would advice you to order the ESR report immediately to under where you went wrong. More importantly, several test takers commit a mistake of viewing the GMAT score as a three digit number; well, it's not. You have to analyse your sectional and sub-sectional performances. Are you strong in SC, CR, or RC? What is your accuracy rate in each of these sub-sections? Do you find quant or verbal easier? Trust me viewing the GMAT as a three digit number and then putting in several hours of unstructured study hours will do you no good. Instead, it may actually harm your performance.

Please do not feel disappointed. I am sure with the right preparation and strategy, you can definitely improve your score. All the best!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
DisciplinedPrep wrote:
bhs90 - Welcome to GMAT Club!!

First, do you know what most GMAT 700 scores have in common? They all are extremely involved in this forum. Too bad you chose to make your first forum post outlining your not-so-impressive test performance. Instead, you should have scouted the various sections of this forum to solve questions, provide solutions, clear doubts, pose questions, among other. Doing all those things would have sure gotten you a better score.

That said, I would advice you to order the ESR report immediately to under where you went wrong. More importantly, several test takers commit a mistake of viewing the GMAT score as a three digit number; well, it's not. You have to analyse your sectional and sub-sectional performances. Are you strong in SC, CR, or RC? What is your accuracy rate in each of these sub-sections? Do you find quant or verbal easier? Trust me viewing the GMAT as a three digit number and then putting in several hours of unstructured study hours will do you no good. Instead, it may actually harm your performance.

Please do not feel disappointed. I am sure with the right preparation and strategy, you can definitely improve your score. All the best!

Hey man, it is great to see you help a fellow member, do you really think an ESR would truly help? Seems like he just gave the test nearly unprepared. I mean Kaplan is fine, but he didn't do much original stuff. I do think he can benefit from a more focused approach on official material and from GMAT Club.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hooooorible exam attempt [#permalink]
Sorry all, i've tried to respond individually to the replies here several times but I haven't posted before so I don't really know how to go about it. I will just reply with mentions because the site wont let me reply by quoting each user.

DisciplinedPrep, I have been on gmatclub since two months now, and the only reason I haven't actively participated is because I can always find instances where people other than me have asked similar questions, so I just look for the answers provided to them to help myself. This case was a bit unique, so I decided to actually reach out for help! But yes, i agree with you in that this website is a GREAT tool. Also, I created an error log, but do you have suggestions as to which one is the best for someone starting out? I did so many practice questions but I feel like my error log takes five times as much time as actually doing questions. Maybe I'm using a more tedious version (a word document, where i list out the topic, my answer, the right answer, what i should do next time). I downloaded my ESR. Not sure how to apply the information because in practice tests my weak areas were different in verbal than they were on the exam, so i think a safe approach is to just consider all of them weak areas?

GeorgeKo111 I did not only Kaplan, but two of the practice tests which come free on the official gmat website and completed about 150 questions (total) from OG mixed guide and quant, and some practice questions from gmatclub. In my practice tests, I was getting the highest # of incorrect answers in SC, then CR and finally RC but in the exam, according to my ESR, I did the worst in RC.

Businessconquerer I did a decent amount of studying in the past month and a half (5 hours a day) (kaplan, og mixed and quant, and practice tests 1 and 2) but i think i just didn't work smart at all..

Thanks all for your encouragement and help everybody!! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
DisciplinedPrep I got a 34 on verbal (71st percentile) and 31 on quant (18th percentile). I am still trying to figure out the rest of the details on my ESR.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi bhs90,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not go as well as hoped. From what you described, you were clearly not at your best (being sick and sleep-deprived would likely have hurt most Test Takers). That having been said, based on your practice CAT Scores, you still have some serious work to do before you can consistently hit your Score Goal. Assuming that your current ability level is in the high-500s, raising that type of Score to the point that you can consistently score 700+ will likely require at least another 2-3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH of your practice CATs?
2) What are the application deadlines for each of the Schools that you plan to apply to?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). Since you have purchased the ESR, I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hooooorible exam attempt [#permalink]
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC

Thanks for your helpful response.

1) On CAT #1, I had a 4 on IR (40 percentile), a 32 on quant (22 percentile) and a 34 on verbal (71 percentile) - for a total of 560. I did this practise test on May 11th, before I started studying. Then, after completing the Kaplan guide, I did CAT #2 and got a 4 on IR (40 percentile), a 39 on quant (37 percentile) and a 34 on verbal (71 percentile) 0 for a total of 590. I was pretty disappointed but figured my strategy was very weak. So I did some googling and found that I should've been using an error log. Based off of the topics that I got wrong in the second CAT, i started doing practice questions from those topics from the OG mixed guide and quant online test bank. At this point there were 2-3 weeks left in my exam. In total, since may, I have put in a total of 140 hours of studying (I have a daily tracker so thats accurate). Thats why I know I really messed up somewhere that all that got me a 540.

2) The application deadlines for the schools i am looking to apply to are as follows:
- IMD: August 1st (3rd round) and October 1st (4th and final round) for admission in January 2020 - there are no august admissions (this is why i was rushing to give my GMAT so I could submit before August deadline as October will be most selective)
- Babson College: October 22, January 4, March 1
- NYU/Stern: October 15, November 15, January 15, March 15
- Columbia: October 4 (Early decision and January 2020 admission), January 3, April 10
- MIT/Sloan: September 25, January 22, April 8
- Wharton: September 17, January 7
- Stanford: September 12, January 9, April 8

3) I can devote 5 hours a day to properly studying, and do activities/exercises that would supplement or support a better score in the other hours i am awake. I am not working currently, but that wont last for very long, that is why I want to go for one of the earlier deadlines.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC - was finally able to attach my ESR! As you can see, it's been a bit difficult to pinpoint what exactly is wrong - probably because of the lack of sleep on test day.
Attachments

My ESR.pdf [490.27 KiB]
Downloaded 46 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi,

Sorry about your score. It happened to a lot of people especially when you are not prepared. Now you need to refocus, start again from the beginning. You may need to combine knowledge from various sources but you sure need to start with one. In my opinion, I don't think using one material helps that much. So you really need to take the sections and chapters one after the other and build understanding before thinking of writing the test again. All the best.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi bhs90,

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional notes.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts