Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [1]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2207 [1]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: HORRIBLE GMAT EXPERIENCE ! 540 Q37 V25 [#permalink]
Kudos
It's probably just a bad test day. Your mock scores are great, especially verbal is on way higher side, i don't think you'd need egmat. Test day anxiety can crush gmat scores. you can start up with some meditation or yoga and give it yet another shot. If possible, order an ESR so that you know exactly where things went wrong and what part of the test.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
Once you have it, you can also check. Also, you can request the expert EMPOWERgmatRichC .
diivvyaaa wrote:
Thanks for the reply everyone.

All the mocks given by me were attempted only once so no familiar questions case.

I will order an ESR but I need someone to analyse it.
Any help with that?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi diivvyaaa,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) Have you used any other study materials besides the ones that you listed in your first post?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi sjas31
The above mentioned mocks are all offical mocks given in conditions close to the actual exam.
I didn't attempt the IR mad AWA sections in these mocks but i dont think that would affect the verbal and quant scores as my order was Verbal-Quant-IR AWA.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HORRIBLE GMAT EXPERIENCE ! 540 Q37 V25 [#permalink]
Thanks for the reply everyone.

All the mocks given by me were attempted only once so no familiar questions case.

I will order an ESR but I need someone to analyse it.
Any help with that?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
HORRIBLE GMAT EXPERIENCE ! 540 Q37 V25 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Divya, I must admit that your curious case is among the biggest negative deviations that I have come across, between the score in official mock tests and that in the actual exam:(.

While all of us can conjecture reasons for this, frankly you alone are in a position to do an honest introspection and come up with the reason for this deviation.

For your score, perhaps a ESR will also not help, because it will most probably show a uniform sub-par performance in pretty much all the sections/sub-sections.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
Send PM
Sit back and recap what all happened with you in those 3.5 hours +1 hr before test. You will have your answers.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
diivvyaaa - the drop between your mock scores and actual score is huge. Even on a bad day, a 99th percentile guy would need to have a brain freeze to score ~30th percentile on GMAT Verbal. Now the fact that you did do equally badly on GMAT Quant may point out to a brain freeze. At the same time, this could point out something systemically different. Therefore, we need to figure out how you got the 99th percentile on the official mocks and whether you truly are a 99th percentile student. Can you answer the following questions:

1. Other than practicing using the official guide, did you practice on GMAT Club?
2. What kind of questions do the red and blue books by Jamboree contain? Are they official questions?

Two ways to estimate your correct ability

There are two ways to estimate your correct ability

1. Take a SIGma-X mock test: This will tell you your precise Quant and Verbal abilities right down to sub-sectional levels. You can take one here.

2. Attend Payal's YouTube live session: Attend Payal's YouTube live session tomorrow on Number Properties. Even though this session is on error log, it will tell you whether you are a Q49 student. Click hereto join.

Note you may do both just to be certain.

Abhi077 is right in saying that you don't need e-GMAT if your Verbal scores are truly at a V42 or higher. Hence, its important that you figure this out and take the right next steps.

Either way, if you put in the effort, you can get to your target score. Here are a few folks who were in your shoes and were able to improve.

-Rajat
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
diivvyaaa wrote:
Hi everyone !

I gave my GMAT yesterday and got a score much below my expectations(700+).
Below is some information about my preparation journey-

Prep1- 720
Prep2- 730
Prep5- 750 (V42,Q49)
Prep6- 780 (V47,Q49)
All the mocks were taken without IR and AWA in the order of V-Q-IR AWA)

Material used-
OG 2019
Jamboree study material (red and blue book)

My mock test scores and my actual score have a huge difference. Some of it is attributable to anxiety but rest I am unable to figure out.

I am planning to give another shot.
I would like to know what materials should I use for each section- SC,CR,RC and Quant.( Suggest the best for each section )

Also, I'm planing to take the e-gmat course for verbal. How much will it help?

From 700s to 540 is an absolute shock.
I gave my mocks(GMAT prep 1 and 2) under timed conditions and tried to match actual experience as much as possible. But i took breaks in between a section itself. Even after that my first and only score differed by just -10 points. I see that though i could not replicate the actual GMAT like situation, my scores were similar.

In your case if you have practiced under GMAT like situation then the scores must have been in similar range with a pinch of tolerance. So you must look into the mock conditions and evaluate if the conditions in your actual GMAT were different, if not, then dive deep into your thoughts that prevailed on the test day.

There must be something one or the other for such a huge gap.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
diivvyaaa wrote:
Hi everyone !

I gave my GMAT yesterday and got a score much below my expectations(700+).
Below is some information about my preparation journey-

Prep1- 720
Prep2- 730
Prep5- 750 (V42,Q49)
Prep6- 780 (V47,Q49)
All the mocks were taken without IR and AWA in the order of V-Q-IR AWA)

Material used-
OG 2019
Jamboree study material (red and blue book)

My mock test scores and my actual score have a huge difference. Some of it is attributable to anxiety but rest I am unable to figure out.

I am planning to give another shot.
I would like to know what materials should I use for each section- SC,CR,RC and Quant.( Suggest the best for each section )

Also, I'm planing to take the e-gmat course for verbal. How much will it help?

If you have scored a 780 (V47, Q49) under exam conditions in an official mock then I don't think you need any advice. Just introspect and you will have your answers.

All the best!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Did you repeat the gmatprep many times? Did Jamboree materials are very similar to tthr gmatprep?

If not, I guess you had unlucky day for your recent gmat test. Just redo OG2019 and check how you perform for each question.

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts