It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 00:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Horticulturists, who are known for growing the juiciest

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Horticulturists, who are known for growing the juiciest tomatoes [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2016, 04:15
Here, the desired answer is:partly because certain features are developed in their tomatoes. Unfortunately, the answer choices did not pick it.
First thing needs to be clarified:there is nothing wrong using 'in part', since they are synonymous.
So, guys who think the answer choice D is correct can't ignore A too! For general description, we don't use 'should', unless moral obligation. So, both A and D should be disqualified because of this sublime cause.
In response to B, another thing needs to be clarified. After the verb 'use, here the purpose is clear enough to use infinitive instead of 'for'. Moreover, development is noun;so, it is less preferred. For the same reason, E deserves a surprising attention!
C is awakward and also, not parallel because of...and because...Another blunder in C is distorting the meaning...' partly because of their tomatoes developing certain features'...Tomatoes develop themselves certain features?
D is very tempting. We can say it is a great trap. Even, I fell in. So, don't do SC too fast. Using 'should' kills this option.
So no other better choice except E. Though it hurts parallelism, but it does not hurt as much as other choices. After the verb 'use', because of intention/purpose, we need to use infinitive. The first portion is fine but the second portion(partly because cross-pollination produces results more quickly than does natural selection.) seems not parallel to the first. But, there is no option except this structure, since you can't present the thought here by 'and partyly to produce..'. So, if no other choice to clearly express a thought, you have always that right to bypass parallelism a bit.
So, my answer is E now.
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Horticulturists, who are known for growing the juiciest tomatoes [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2016, 06:40
This is a replica of a yet another Official question.
< in-recent-years-cattle-breeders-have-increasingly-used-82782.html>
In recent years, cattle breeders have increasingly used crossbreeding, in part that their steers certain characteristics and partly because crossbreeding is said to provide hybrid vigor.

(A) in part that their steers should acquire certain characteristics
(B) in part for the acquisition of certain characteristics in their steers
(C) partly because of their steers acquiring certain characteristics
(D) partly because certain characteristics should be acquired by their steers
(E) partly to acquire certain characteristics in their steers
The answer is E in this case also:
An elaborate explanation by Tommy of MGMAT, especially with reference to the parallelism in the official answer will be interesting to read.
Maybe we can take some cues from this OG question.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

MBA Blogger
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2016, 17:53
daagh wrote:
Horticulturists, who are known for growing the juiciest tomatoes, frequently use a method called cross-pollination, in part because certain features should be developed in their tomatoes and partly because cross-pollination produces results more quickly than does natural selection.

The Horticulturists use a particular method in order to achieve something. An infinitive is always preferred to indicate such a purpose.

We can safely remove choices A and D for using the word ‘should’, which is more recommendatory than being intentional; Between B ,C and E:

(B) in part for the development of certain features in their tomatoes --- Think of the VAN principle; A verbal is always preferred over a noun; to develop, an infinite verbal is always preferred over ‘the development of’, a noun

(C) partly because of their tomatoes developing certain features --- ‘Developing’ is inferior to ‘to develop’

(E) partly to develop certain features in their tomatoes -- The best choice

Somewhere I read that we should keep the original meaning of the sentence whenever possible. Here 'should' is used in the original sentence! Then why should we remove it while selecting the answer. :|

KUDOS please!! If it helped. :)
Warm Regards.
Visit My Blog

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2016, 23:37
scofield1521 wrote:
daagh wrote:
Horticulturists, who are known for growing the juiciest tomatoes, frequently use a method called cross-pollination, in part because certain features should be developed in their tomatoes and partly because cross-pollination produces results more quickly than does natural selection.

The Horticulturists use a particular method in order to achieve something. An infinitive is always preferred to indicate such a purpose.

We can safely remove choices A and D for using the word ‘should’, which is more recommendatory than being intentional; Between B ,C and E:

(B) in part for the development of certain features in their tomatoes --- Think of the VAN principle; A verbal is always preferred over a noun; to develop, an infinite verbal is always preferred over ‘the development of’, a noun

(C) partly because of their tomatoes developing certain features --- ‘Developing’ is inferior to ‘to develop’

(E) partly to develop certain features in their tomatoes -- The best choice

Somewhere I read that we should keep the original meaning of the sentence whenever possible. Here 'should' is used in the original sentence! Then why should we remove it while selecting the answer. :|

If the original sentence conveys a wrong meaning, then there is no way but to rectify the meaning.

In GMAT, the word "should" is used to convey a sense of "moral obligation". The sentence "Winter should set in next week" is incorrect. The correct form would be "Winter is likely to set in next week."

For the above reason the use of "should" in the original sentence conveys a wrong meaning. There is no "moral obligation" implied by the author. Therefore we have to eliminate option D and choose E.

The infinitive "to develop" correctly conveys the sense of "intent"
Non-Human User
Premium Member
Re: Horticulturists, who are known for growing the juiciest [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2016, 09:23
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '19 (WD)
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 11:15
I went with E, "partly" in the answer choice is parallel with "partly" in the second part of the statement.
But "to develop" doesn't match "produces"
SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2017, 23:45
jatin0705 wrote:
I went with E, "partly" in the answer choice is parallel with "partly" in the second part of the statement.
But "to develop" doesn't match "produces"

the source is unreliable, but the pattern of the question does look similar to the offcial patterns.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2017, 23:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
jatin0705 Actually, "produces" isn't supposed to be parallel to anything. It's the only verb for "cross-polination," so there's no parallelism there.

The parallel structure is "partly X and partly Y," so our parallel terms are "to develop features" and "because cross-pollination produces results." These might not seem parallel, but they are both modifiers, not nouns or verbs, so we can get away with it. Modifiers don't always have to be in the exact same form. Both can be added to the main clause with no trouble:

Horticulturists frequently use a method called cross-pollination to develop certain features in their tomatoes.
Horticulturists frequently use a method called cross-pollination because cross-pollination produces results more quickly than does natural selection.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
B
Use of should [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 07:17
(A) in part because certain features should be developed in their tomatoes

(B)in part for the development of certain features in their tomatoes

(C) partly because of their tomatoes developing certain features

(D) partly because certain features should be developed in their tomatoes

(E) partly to develop certain features in their tomatoes.

Why is D wrong?

Sent from my XT1068 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Use of should [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 08:29
stomar67 wrote:

Why is D wrong?

hi

when answering SC questions, always give emphasis on meaning and try to decipher what the author is trying to say

here, given, the horticulturists use cross- pollination. Think this way, why they are using cross pollination?? Surely, they are using cross pollination to serve an objective, and certainly this practice is not an obligation

thanks

cheers, and do consider some kudos if this helps
:cool:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Use of should [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 21:37
the sentence is about intentions of horticulturists, why they used cross-pollination? to develop certain features. This is clear in E
where as D says "certain features should be developed"? the meaning isnt clear...who should? it must be about intentions. D is wrong

stomar67 wrote:

Why is D wrong?

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Re: Use of should   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2018, 21:37

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

Horticulturists, who are known for growing the juiciest

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap