Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619010 [13]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 879 [4]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [1]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: Hospital H conducted a survey of two groups of patients who were enrol [#permalink]
Kudos
Answer is supposedly E
Statement 1: at least 5 days of exercise. It doesn't state the highest no. Of exercising days to calculate range. ( Not sufficient)

Statement 2: average is 13 days. But highest and lower no. Can always vary ( Not Sufficient)

Both: the least no. Is 5 and average is 13.
Let, group A and B did exercise for maximum 26 days. Given the average.
But the lowest no. Can still vary. X>=5
So range can't be identified again (Not Sufficient)

Answer should be E

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [1]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Hospital H conducted a survey of two groups of patients who were enrol [#permalink]
Kudos
(1) For each group, the number of patients enrolled was 21 and the least number of days that a patient exercised last month was 5.
We don't have the maximum number of days that a patient exercised last month for each group.
NOT SUFFICIENT

(2) For each group, the average (arithmetic mean) number of days that the patients exercised last month was 13.
We don't have the minimum and the maximum number of days that a patient exercised last month for each group.
NOT SUFFICIENT

(1)+(2)
Even with the combined information, we cannot deduce the maximum number of days that a patient exercised last month for each group.
NOT SUFFICIENT

FINAL ANSWER IS (E)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Kudos
E

As we cannot determine the largest value by 1 statement .

It is not possible by both the statements again as we still cannot find the range
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [0]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Quote:
Hospital H conducted a survey of two groups of patients who were enrolled in an exercise rehabilitation program last month. Was the range of the numbers of days that the patients in the first group exercised last month equal to the range of the numbers of days that the patients in the second group exercised last month?

(1) For each group, the number of patients enrolled was 21 and the least number of days that a patient exercised last month was 5.
(2) For each group, the average (arithmetic mean) number of days that the patients exercised last month was 13.

range=greatest-least num of days

(1) insufic
we don't know the greatest num of days

(2) insufic
we don't know the greatest or least num of days

(1/2) insufic
we don't know the greatest num of days

Ans (E)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [1]
Given Kudos: 467
Send PM
Kudos
1) n=21, and least value is 5, the max value is unknown
2) mean = 13, no smallest and largest value on both groups to find the range
1+2
from 21, the least value is 5 for both groups, but the highest can be anything greater than 13, but dont know
HEnce E
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Hospital H conducted a survey of two groups of patients who were enrolled in an exercise rehabilitation program last month. Was the range of the numbers of days that the patients in the first group exercised last month equal to the range of the numbers of days that the patients in the second group exercised last month?

Range1 = Range2?

Least number is available but Largest number can vary for both groups.

INSUFFICIENT.

Since number of people can vary in both groups, the least and the largest number can also vary leading to either case - range may or may no be equal.

INSUFFICIENT.

Together 1 and 2
\(\frac{G1 + G2 + G3 .... G20 + 5 }{ 21} = \frac{g1 +g2 + g3 .... g20 + 5 }{ 21}\)
Here again G1 = g1 OR G1 ≠ g1 (G1 and g1 being the largest number in their respective group)

INSUFFICIENT.

Answer E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

This is a prep ques. Can you please mark the same?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619010 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
800Dreamer wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

This is a prep ques. Can you please mark the same?

Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Send PM
Genoa2000 wrote:
I got (E) on this one, but till the end I fought that something related to "in a month" (30 days) was about to trick me.

Once I divided 286 (\(21*13 - 5\)) by 20 and got 13.4 I felt safe.

Can you explain your logic why you felt safe after doing that? I understand the 268 is sum (Statement 1: # of patients = 21, Statement 2: average of patients = 13, so therefore 21 * 13 = 273, then subtract the minimum number 5 given in Statement 1 = 268 and /20 = 13.4), but what exactly does that confirm?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
To Find: Was Range Group 1= Range Group 2 ( Range= Maximum no of days exercised- minimum no of day)
1. No. of observations in each group= 21, Min values=5
Max not known could be any value, range could be anything. Equal or not
say Case A: maximum number of days patients exercised in both group 1 &2 = 25 then RangeGroup1=RangeGroup2=20
Case B:
Maximum number of days patients exercised in group 1 = 20 then RangeGroup1= 15 &
Maximum number of days patients exercised in group 2 = 10 then RangeGroup2= 5; RangeGroup1 not equal to RangeGroup2

2. Average= 13; could be 13, 13,13,…Range=0 for all patients or 3 (Min).. And 23 ( max ) such that average is 13 but range=20; Not sufficient.

Combining:
Total 13*21=273 with Min 5, now we do not know no. of observation of 5,
say only one 5 and rest 20 observations are other values so that total is 273 or
20 5's and 1 large value such that range is higher than former case; Not sufficient

Correct: E
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92914 posts