Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack
GMAT Club

It is currently 30 Mar 2017, 16:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2012
Posts: 38
Location: United States
GMAT Date: 08-30-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 46 [3] , given: 15

Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2012, 03:13
3
This post received
KUDOS
12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

64% (03:28) correct 36% (01:50) wrong based on 764 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel websites. In 2011, there were 50,000 fewer hotel room night bookings then there were in 2010. Hotel owners are blaming the apartment renting service by new website Miami@50 that not only sells hotel room bookings at bargain prices but also allows people to rent out their houses. The website owners dispute the charge stating that they only rented out only 8,000 apartments through their website. They claim that the down economy and not their website is responsible for majority of the decline in hotel room bookings.

Which of the following if true most seriously weakens the Miami@50 owners claim?


A. Miami@50 rents apartments at a much lower price then it rents hotel rooms.
B. Miami@50 rented out at least 8 times as many hotel room nights bookings as apartments.
C. Most apartments in that Miami@50 rented out were rented out multiple times.
D. Miami@50’s profit from renting out apartments was higher than it was for renting out hotel rooms.
E. Most of Miami@50’s customers preferred renting an apartment to renting a hotel room

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I could not figure out the official ans well. So Please explain ur logic for rejecting other choice and also explain answer choice weekened it ....
Thanks in advance
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

KUMAR GAURAB
GET MAD ABOUT TEST


Last edited by abhimahna on 27 Mar 2017, 06:10, edited 1 time in total.
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
7 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Posts: 298
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 255 [7] , given: 32

Re: Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2012, 03:42
7
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
grbjha wrote:
Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel websites. In 2011, there were
50,000 fewer hotel room night bookings then there were in 2010. Hotel owners are
blaming the apartment renting service by new website Miami@50 that not only sells
hotel room bookings at bargain prices but also allows people to rent out their houses.
The website owners dispute the charge stating that they only rented out only 8,000
apartments through their website. They claim that the down economy and not their
website is responsible for majority of the decline in hotel room bookings.

Which of the following if true most seriously weakens the Miami@50 owners claim?
A. Miami@50 rents apartments at a much lower price then it rents hotel rooms.
B. Miami@50 rented out at least 8 times as many hotel room nights bookings as
apartments.
C. Most apartments in that Miami@50 rented out were rented out multiple times.
D. Miami@50’s profit from renting out apartments was higher than it was for renting
out hotel rooms.
E. Most of Miami@50’s customers preferred renting an apartment to renting a hotel
room

I could not figure out the official ans well. So Please explain ur logic for rejecting other choice and also explain answer choice weekened it ....
Thanks in advance


hey - this question is based scope shift between the 2 arguments made by the web-site manager and hotel owner.
Hotel owner is talking about number of hotel room bookings, while the website manager claims about number of apartments rented out.
facts given by hotel M are
2010 - 150000 bookings
2011 - 100000 bookings
so 50,000 fewer bookings but web-site managers says only 8000 apartments were rented, hence its not his website but someother factors that accounts for the fewer bookings.
To weaken this argument we have to say that 8000 apartments rented accounts for 50000 fewer bookings.
That's exactly what C does, Most apartments in that Miami@50 rented out were rented out multiple times.
Let say each apartment were rented out 6 times so approx 50,0000 apartments are rented out, which could account for the fewer bookings hence the argument is weakened.

Rational for killing the other options are mentioned in boldface.

A. Miami@50 rents apartments at a much lower price then it rents hotel rooms.
Price is out of scope, we are talking about numbers of bookings.

B. Miami@50 rented out at least 8 times as many hotel room nights bookings as
apartments.
This strengthens the argument by saying that some other factors accounts for the fewer booking as web-site made more room bookings

C. Most apartments in that Miami@50 rented out were rented out multiple times.
PERFECT

D. Miami@50’s profit from renting out apartments was higher than it was for renting
out hotel rooms.
Profits are out of scope, we are talking about numbers of bookings.

E. Most of Miami@50’s customers preferred renting an apartment to renting a hotel
room
This is close but not good enough weakener as even some customers could account for 50,000 room bookings. this is neutral statement.

Kudos if my posts helped.

Cheers
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10666
Followers: 959

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2014, 16:55
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Mar 2014
Posts: 22
Schools: HEC Montreal '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2014, 03:51
can anyone tell me were`nt hotel rooms rented multiple times too ( considering option c) also if prices less people will prefer that option , a seems better ?? or where i am going wrong
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
B
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2040
Followers: 2150

Kudos [?]: 7479 [2] , given: 286

Re: Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2014, 08:47
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
manishgmat1 wrote:
can anyone tell me were`nt hotel rooms rented multiple times too ( considering option c) also if prices less people will prefer that option , a seems better ?? or where i am going wrong


Hi Manish,

Have you noticed that the passage clearly mentions hotel room night bookings, which means it’s counting all the nights the hotel rooms were booked? So, even if hotel rooms were booked multiple times, the passage is already taking that into account. However, in case of apartments, it’s only counting the no. of apartments booked and not apartment room nights.

That’s why, when option C provides information that these apartments were booked multiple times, we know that the actual apartment nights could be much higher than 8000. Such a high no. of apartment night bookings can act as a possible reason behind 50,000 fewer hotel room night bookings. This decreases our belief in the owner’s conclusion that Miami@50 wasn’t responsible for the decline in hotel room night bookings. This makes C a weakener.

Now let’s look at option A.

This option isn’t correct because it provides a possible reason why customers would’ve chosen apartments over hotel rooms. But we are not even interested in knowing ‘why.’ So any reason provided here is irrelevant. We just want to know whether customers chose apartments over hotel rooms and A doesn’t provide that information. That’s why A is not a weakener here.

Hope that clears your doubt.

Regards,
Prashant
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10666
Followers: 959

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2015, 20:56
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2015
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 133

Re: Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2015, 13:04
Jp27 wrote:
grbjha wrote:
Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel websites. In 2011, there were
50,000 fewer hotel room night bookings then there were in 2010. Hotel owners are
blaming the apartment renting service by new website Miami@50 that not only sells
hotel room bookings at bargain prices but also allows people to rent out their houses.
The website owners dispute the charge stating that they only rented out only 8,000
apartments through their website. They claim that the down economy and not their
website is responsible for majority of the decline in hotel room bookings.

Which of the following if true most seriously weakens the Miami@50 owners claim?
A. Miami@50 rents apartments at a much lower price then it rents hotel rooms.
B. Miami@50 rented out at least 8 times as many hotel room nights bookings as
apartments.
C. Most apartments in that Miami@50 rented out were rented out multiple times.
D. Miami@50’s profit from renting out apartments was higher than it was for renting
out hotel rooms.
E. Most of Miami@50’s customers preferred renting an apartment to renting a hotel
room

I could not figure out the official ans well. So Please explain ur logic for rejecting other choice and also explain answer choice weekened it ....
Thanks in advance


hey - this question is based scope shift between the 2 arguments made by the web-site manager and hotel owner.
Hotel owner is talking about number of hotel room bookings, while the website manager claims about number of apartments rented out.
facts given by hotel M are
2010 - 150000 bookings
2011 - 100000 bookings
so 50,000 fewer bookings but web-site managers says only 8000 apartments were rented, hence its not his website but someother factors that accounts for the fewer bookings.
To weaken this argument we have to say that 8000 apartments rented accounts for 50000 fewer bookings.
That's exactly what C does, Most apartments in that Miami@50 rented out were rented out multiple times.
Let say each apartment were rented out 6 times so approx 50,0000 apartments are rented out, which could account for the fewer bookings hence the argument is weakened.

Rational for killing the other options are mentioned in boldface.

A. Miami@50 rents apartments at a much lower price then it rents hotel rooms.
Price is out of scope, we are talking about numbers of bookings.

B. Miami@50 rented out at least 8 times as many hotel room nights bookings as
apartments.
This strengthens the argument by saying that some other factors accounts for the fewer booking as web-site made more room bookings

C. Most apartments in that Miami@50 rented out were rented out multiple times.
PERFECT

D. Miami@50’s profit from renting out apartments was higher than it was for renting
out hotel rooms.
Profits are out of scope, we are talking about numbers of bookings.

E. Most of Miami@50’s customers preferred renting an apartment to renting a hotel
room
This is close but not good enough weakener as even some customers could account for 50,000 room bookings. this is neutral statement.

Kudos if my posts helped.

Cheers


How is B irrelevant ?
If 8000 apartments were totally rented and it says 8 times of this was the hotel room nights which accounts for around 64000 nights, wont this be a reason ?
can u help. im stuck on this
Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 17 May 2015
Posts: 41
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 101

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 10:10
egmat wrote:
manishgmat1 wrote:
can anyone tell me were`nt hotel rooms rented multiple times too ( considering option c) also if prices less people will prefer that option , a seems better ?? or where i am going wrong


Hi Manish,

Have you noticed that the passage clearly mentions hotel room night bookings, which means it’s counting all the nights the hotel rooms were booked? So, even if hotel rooms were booked multiple times, the passage is already taking that into account. However, in case of apartments, it’s only counting the no. of apartments booked and not apartment room nights.

That’s why, when option C provides information that these apartments were booked multiple times, we know that the actual apartment nights could be much higher than 8000. Such a high no. of apartment night bookings can act as a possible reason behind 50,000 fewer hotel room night bookings. This decreases our belief in the owner’s conclusion that Miami@50 wasn’t responsible for the decline in hotel room night bookings. This makes C a weakener.

Now let’s look at option A.

This option isn’t correct because it provides a possible reason why customers would’ve chosen apartments over hotel rooms. But we are not even interested in knowing ‘why.’ So any reason provided here is irrelevant. We just want to know whether customers chose apartments over hotel rooms and A doesn’t provide that information. That’s why A is not a weakener here.

Hope that clears your doubt.

Regards,
Prashant



Is this a 600-700 ? I think its 500 level.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 29 Oct 2016
Posts: 208
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: 314 Q167 V147
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 749

Re: Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 07:07
Hi expert,
How to rule out option B? Using a simple math,we can deduce that Miami@50 accounts for 64,000 hotel room night bookings.This figure could fill in the missing 50,000 bookings as mentioned by the hotel owner.

Is it because that the decrease in number of bookings cited by the hotel owners includes the number of bookings from Miami@50 as well?

Thanks.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2946
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 442

Kudos [?]: 1971 [2] , given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 12:33
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sleepynut wrote:
Hi expert,
How to rule out option B? Using a simple math,we can deduce that Miami@50 accounts for 64,000 hotel room night bookings.This figure could fill in the missing 50,000 bookings as mentioned by the hotel owner.

Is it because that the decrease in number of bookings cited by the hotel owners includes the number of bookings from Miami@50 as well?

Thanks.


First, the passage does NOT mention that 8000 is the number of apartment room night booking. It just states that 8000 apartments were rented out. Thus it is incorrect to conclude that 64000 hotel room nights were booked.

Second, since the number of hotel room night bookings is not indicated for the year 2010, option B cannot strengthen or weaken even if the number 64000 for hotel night booking were assumed to be correct.

Hence option B is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 29 Oct 2016
Posts: 208
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: 314 Q167 V147
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 749

Re: Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2017, 02:47
Hi sayantanc2k,
Thanks for your response. :-D
I am able to unanimously rule out option B as "rent out some rooms" doesn't mean that those rooms are booked.
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
S
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 1335
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.65
WE: Brand Management (Health Care)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 300 [0], given: 42

Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2017, 06:09
In 2010 : Hotel bookings in Miami = x

In 2011 : Hotel bookings in Miami = x - 50k

Reason for this decrease by Miami: 1) hotel room bookings at bargain prices by Miami@50 2) People renting out their houses.

Miami@50 said : They only rented out only 8,000 apartments through their website. So, The cause should be economy and not their website.

We need to weaken their claim. Meaning we need to say they are actually responsible for the decrease.

A. Miami@50 rents apartments at a much lower price then it rents hotel rooms. : So what?How does it tell us what Miami@50 said was right? . Incorrect
B. Miami@50 rented out at least 8 times as many hotel room nights bookings as apartments. : hotel room nights booking is irrelevant here. We are no where asked whether a particular night booking was there or a day booking was there. So, although a trap option, it is incorrect.
C. Most apartments in that Miami@50 rented out were rented out multiple times. : Correct. So, if there were 8000 apartments. They could be rented out 6-7 times.
D. Miami@50’s profit from renting out apartments was higher than it was for renting out hotel rooms. : Profit is irrelevant here.
E. Most of Miami@50’s customers preferred renting an apartment to renting a hotel room Customer preference is invalid. We need to find out why there was a decrease in number of bookings.
_________________

Thanks.

Wanna say Thank you? Just hit Kudos. :-D

Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2017, 06:09
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Travel Agency Mina has studied its bookings and found that 35% of its Harley1980 2 15 Sep 2015, 04:40
In the Republic of Water, it is believed that only through education Harley1980 4 11 Sep 2015, 11:10
8 The only way that bookstores can profitably sell books at Legendaddy 10 11 Sep 2012, 21:22
9 Experts publish their posts in the topic Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author voodoochild 13 03 Sep 2012, 10:11
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic While the average American reads only two books per year, bschool83 20 09 Jul 2011, 13:42
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Hotel bookings in Miami are only done through travel

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.