Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Re: How did you non-native English speakers learn English? [#permalink]
commdiver wrote:
I was born in Germany, but my father was a member of the US military, so I learned both English and German as a child, but am curious how those of you who grew up learning a language that is not English learned English.

Any native english speaker can work perfectly well in corporate India. He would have an easier time here than some of the European countries.
Its only for the India's economic situation else Bombay could well have been at par with London/Hong Kong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Send PM
Thank you for the replies. It is interesting to see how global other countries. The US is certainly lacking in that regard.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Hey!

I'm Swiss and French is my mother tongue. I studied English at school for 6 years (and German for 8 years, which might have helped) but when I started university I could barely speak in English. I never had the chance to practice it. I read a lot of material in English at university, and met a few international students which helped me practice the speaking part. And of course, I won't lie, watching my favourite tv shows is probably what helped the most! :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
nouldali wrote:
Hey!

I'm Swiss and French is my mother tongue. I studied English at school for 6 years (and German for 8 years, which might have helped) but when I started university I could barely speak in English. I never had the chance to practice it. I read a lot of material in English at university, and met a few international students which helped me practice the speaking part. And of course, I won't lie, watching my favourite tv shows is probably what helped the most! :lol:

I agree :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
It depends on what region you belong to. At some places, its a language that's learned in schools. While in all countries there are institutions from where You can learn languages and get certified in the same.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Marcab wrote:
commdiver wrote:
I was born in Germany, but my father was a member of the US military, so I learned both English and German as a child, but am curious how those of you who grew up learning a language that is not English learned English.

I can't say about other non-natives, but in India English has always been treated as just second to mother tongue. We, in schools, start to learn our mother tongue at the age of 7 whereas English at the age of two. More importantly, here English is being touted as the language which can help us to grow our career. Unless its compulsory to speak Hindi, people prefer to be English speaking.
One more thing, some school boards such as ISC teach the toughest English if compared to what others are being taught in schools at that grade. So, for students from these boards, English starts to run in their thoughts.
This is what I can tell you about India's English speaking people.
Regards.

Marcab did a little generalization. :wink:

I am from India. I studied in State Government school and English was introduced at the age of 10 or in Grade 5. Every other paper was in regional language till Grade 10 or till I reached 15. So real English started at 15, no doubt this is case for most of folks who were born before 90s and were not living in cities.

But then worldwide exposure of Indian economy paved the way of social uplifting and English was the only way to the top. And gradually English flooded the countries of India and I was one of the beneficiaries.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Cartoon Network :-D
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
ConnectTheDots wrote:
Marcab wrote:
commdiver wrote:

I can't say about other non-natives, but in India English has always been treated as just second to mother tongue. We, in schools, start to learn our mother tongue at the age of 7 whereas English at the age of two. More importantly, here English is being touted as the language which can help us to grow our career. Unless its compulsory to speak Hindi, people prefer to be English speaking.
One more thing, some school boards such as ISC teach the toughest English if compared to what others are being taught in schools at that grade. So, for students from these boards, English starts to run in their thoughts.
This is what I can tell you about India's English speaking people.
Regards.

Marcab did a little generalization. :wink:

I am from India. I studied in State Government school and English was introduced at the age of 10 or in Grade 5. Every other paper was in regional language till Grade 10 or till I reached 15. So real English started at 15, no doubt this is case for most of folks who were born before 90s and were not living in cities.

But then worldwide exposure of Indian economy paved the way of social uplifting and English was the only way to the top. And gradually English flooded the countries of India and I was one of the beneficiaries.

100% agree with you. Just would like to add something
Students were basically divided in two broad categories, Urban India and Rural India. In urban areas most of the student were used to go in CBSE or ICSE schools where English was the primary medium of learning. Surrounding culture was also giving these students great exposure to the English. The same scenario was in south India. Because of certain political issues, southern states refused to accept Hindi as second language and that place was filled up by english.
But, this was not the case in rest of the country. i remember, we first introduced with English in the 5th standard (in the age of 10th) and there too english was third language preceded by Mother-tongue(Marathi in my case) and Hindi. Even at the time of completion of our graduate degree we could only speak few english sentences.

The situation changed slowly after 1990 when Govt adopted a new liberal Economic policy and dramatically after 2000 with the IT revolution.
As our UID chief Sir Nandan Nilekani said in one of his speeches that now the English has become language of Aspiration and growth.
Now our state board (Maharashtra Board) as well made English as compulsory subject right from the 1st standard and this is happening across the whole country.

Narenn
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Expert Reply
Survival wrote:
Cartoon Network :-D

Haha! In fact a lot of people here in Quebec (French part of Canada) learned English from TV, as we get all the American channels but more or less are forced into French education in elementary and high school. It's a great way to get started. You may not become a master of English litterature, but you can certainly learn how to speak better and recognize expressions through TV. There's nothing like being immersed in a language to learn it quickly, though. Go to (any English speaking country) for a year and you'll come back speaking the language well.

-Ron
GMAT Club Bot