Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
Re: How Do You Sell Round 3? [#permalink]
helg wrote:
johnnyx9 wrote:
I'm not applying Round 3 anywhere, but for those of you that have applied Round 3, how exactly do you say with a straight face, "I'm really excited about going to school here, I love the students, and I love the teaching model. This is the school for me."

Isn't it obvious to schools that Round 3's are hail mary passes?

Well. Theoretically speaking a strong candidate might hold a better chance during R3 than R1&2 because he will be competing not with his equals but with with rejects from other schools, who did their apps in a hurry 8-) Provided however that the seats available are split equally between applicants of all the three rounds.

Actually in R3 he'd be competing with rushed apps. AND with waitlisted people (who are arguably quite strong). And all of them will complete for about 10% of the total seats (with the 90% going to R1ers and R2ers).

Cheers. L.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
lepium wrote:

Actually in R3 he'd be competing with rushed apps. AND with waitlisted people (who are arguably quite strong). And all of them will complete for about 10% of the total seats (with the 90% going to R1ers and R2ers).

Cheers. L.

*in a high-pitched voice*

OMG!!! I'm doomed, DOOMED!

*dances the dance of desperation of an applicant waitlisted till R3*
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
johnnyx9 wrote:

Round 3's are hail mary passes?

That strategy got John Elway into five Superbowls, didn't it?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's true, but he only won the last two.

I guess what I meant was, there are some schools that are big on "community" (actually, I'm sure most schools say this) and they want to know that you really want to be a part of their school. It just seems ironic that in an interview for this desperation Round someone would be in an interview and the interviewer would say, "Why do you want to go to our school?" And obviously both the interviewer and the interviewee know the answer is, "Because I didn't get in to my top choices, so you're my emergency back up plan."
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 wrote:

I guess what I meant was, there are some schools that are big on "community" (actually, I'm sure most schools say this) and they want to know that you really want to be a part of their school. It just seems ironic that in an interview for this desperation Round someone would be in an interview and the interviewer would say, "Why do you want to go to our school?" And obviously both the interviewer and the interviewee know the answer is, "Because I didn't get in to my top choices, so you're my emergency back up plan."

Well, its no more silly than "Why do you want an MBA?" Which if people were honest, 90% of time, boils down to one of two answers:

Either
A) I want more money and power
or
B) I hate what I'm doing and want to do something else.

Which I spose would translate into:

'My job sucks. I'm really tired of doing what I'm doing and I should have picked better out of undergraduate. I've kind of hit a plateau at work and I don't see a lot of opportunities for advancement. My salary isn't what I think it should be and I want to make more money. Your MBA will help me do all that. Thats why I pay you so much money for it."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I've only applied in R3 to a few elites, basically i underestimated the input required (in the UK people don't plan their lives around a MBA) in the admit process. I have a pretty respectable profile - 750 gmat, 3.8 ish gpa, managerial exp at a top IB. Its not all hail marys in R3 :-D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
There's a common sentiment that candidates with quirky profiles tend to do better in the final round. I believe this is based on the belief that schools will admit their core students in the early rounds, so people with strong but fairly typical profiles do well early on. I also think that the typical strong candidate (those that have been planning for an MBA for some time) tend to apply earlier because they are aware of the process.

In the final round, schools are looking to fill out the class with some diversity so people with unusual backgrounds will stand out. People with typical profiles might find that seats for people like them have already been filled.

I've seen versions of this theory in several b-school consultant blogs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Done! Submitted Tuck 5 min. ago. The reason I went for the last round is because I just wasn't ready to submit by R3 and I felt like I learned so much from the process of applying to earlier rounds, that I can really show this in my essays. Tuck is definitely not my backup school, I just started the whole application process way late.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
or

C) I want a two year vacation, want to meet interesting people and at the same time put a degree on my resume that can only help further my career.

rhyme wrote:
johnnyx9 wrote:

Well, its no more silly than "Why do you want an MBA?" Which if people were honest, 90% of time, boils down to one of two answers:

Either
A) I want more money and power
or
B) I hate what I'm doing and want to do something else.

Which I spose would translate into:

'My job sucks. I'm really tired of doing what I'm doing and I should have picked better out of undergraduate. I've kind of hit a plateau at work and I don't see a lot of opportunities for advancement. My salary isn't what I think it should be and I want to make more money. Your MBA will help me do all that. Thats why I pay you so much money for it."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Apparentely my final round at Darden went really well, just got an admit!
So, there are still some spots around! keep on tying guys, there is hope!
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats Antapple!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM