Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: how hard is it to get into these schools [#permalink]
Expert Reply
idream wrote:
Of Cornell, Duke and NYU is it easier to get in at one, over another.

I am R2 applicant. I have an invite from Cornell (though i dont know how good my chances are as yet). I havent heard back from NYU and Duke interviews all applicants, so i dont know my chances there either.

Thanks,
idream

idream,

NYU has consistently been the toughest of those three schools to break into. Last year its admission rate was 27%. In contrast, last year, Cornell admitted 36%. Duke didn't provide selectivity numbers last year, but the year before they were 37%, up from 19% in 2001, so you could assume they "delisted" their selectivity number because it's kept going up and they'd rather not advertise the fact.

At the same time, Cornell's average GMAT was 660 versus Duke's 700, so depending on where your GMAT falls, Cornell is probably the easiest of the three to get admitted to. Ironically, of the three schools it is also the one that Business Week ranks the highest (#7).

Good luck,
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
idream wrote:
I got in at Duke and am yet to hear from Cornell.

I understand that Duke is considered more Top-10 than Cornell... even though Business week ranking shows Cornell at 7.

I liked my Cornell visit a lot- the campus and the building and just the overall experience. I liked Duke as well, but not as much as Cornell. I can see the rankings, but is one of these programs generally considered better than the other? I am getting into General management w/ IT, or maybe investment Management.

Thanks for your response. Your comments are very helpful.

idream.

idream,

Whoops, I read your first post to Linda rather than your last. Congratulations on your admission to Duke. Though Duke is basically a general management program, Cornell seems to place a slightly higher percentage of graduates in general management roles than does Duke. For investment management, I would give Cornell the nod because of the Parker Center for Investment Research. My advice is to go with the school that you liked the best. If Cornell doesn't admit you then it sounds like you won't be heartbroken going to Duke. Either way you win.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Paul,

Thank you for your response. I agree with you that i should go with the school I like the best if i have that option. I will be happy at Duke, but if I get in at Cornell then I might go there because I really liked that visit.

It is ironic that Cornell has a higher BW ranking but is considered to be easier to get into...

Thanks,
idream
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]