Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Extracurriculars are very important at most of the top schools. Depending on the school, this can be community service, or possibly something else. The dean of admissions at Wharton has actually come out to say that community service is not viewed differently than other extracurricular activities. On the other hand, it is rumored that lack of do-gooder community service type stuff can kill your application at Kellogg and Stanford.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Shucks! I guess where I am coming from is that I have little community svc to speak of...e.g. charities work etc. What if one's work/family commitment is so heavy that it forbids him or her to do comm work? I hope this does not sound like an excuse. Some of us (I am not in the US) can clock up to 12 to 15 work hours day!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I can totally believe that people all around the world work 12-15 hours a day. I did it all the time when I worked in New York; in fact if I could get away with five 12-hour days and a half day on Saturday, it was a great week. 90-100+ hour weeks were not unusual. Difficult work schedules (long hours, lots of travel, etc.) can help explain a lack of extracurricular activities, but they will still look for activities that you were involved in while in college. The other thing to remember is that at the best schools, you will be competing against people that work hard and also have stellar outside achievements.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is easily the biggest weakness in my application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kinda in the same situation as you. I had a ton of extra curr during college with leadership roles but ever since I started working (traveling 5 days out of the week), I was never able to dedicate myself in any program for extended periods of time. Most meetings were on weekdays anyways.

What I'm gonna do is address what I've done in college as a precursor of what I can bring to biz school. I think it'll be more effective this way than trying to spin weak extra currs after college.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just submitted my app for Duke R2. Not too sure how I would stand among the pool of applicants from this part of the world but I guess I will only know in March. :)

Thanks everyone for your invaluable commentS!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
My interviewer for Chicago basically said not having substantial community service was a big hole in my application.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]