Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Schools:Olin Business School - Washington University
Send PM
[#permalink]
I know for a fact u can miss 10 on GMATPrep Q and get a 49...guessing its similar on the real deal...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hmm...

In fact, I just did the GMATPrep and had a V:28...I made 16mistakes!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Schools:Olin Business School - Washington University
Send PM
[#permalink]
Zamzim - you should note that you have less room for error on the V section compared to the Q section...(i.e. you can miss fewer questions)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu, a 51/51 is an 800?

didn't you score a 50/51, and end up with a 780?

i wonder what you need for a 790
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm in agreement with Fig. Actually, we just recently had a discussion of how verbal scores over 45 do very little to move your overall score. It would not surprise me if 51Q/49V or even 51Q/48V resulted in a 790. We do have a recent report of 51Q/47V for 780. It also would not be terribly surprising if 51Q/50V resulted in 800.

Once you get to the 99th percentile on V, there seems to be little value beyond. Take this example (from scores reported here at GMATclub)

50Q/44V=770
50Q/51V=780

7 point gain in V results in only 10 point gain in overall score. Ouch. I would be interested to see some actual breakdowns from people scoring 790 or 800, but we haven't seen any of those lately. I do also believe that as recently as a year ago, 50/50 would have yielded 800 (this is just based on older web articles, I haven't actually seen such a score).
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 693 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
I'm in agreement with Fig. Actually, we just recently had a discussion of how verbal scores over 45 do very little to move your overall score. It would not surprise me if 51Q/49V or even 51Q/48V resulted in a 790. We do have a recent report of 51Q/47V for 780. It also would not be terribly surprising if 51Q/50V resulted in 800.

Once you get to the 99th percentile on V, there seems to be little value beyond. Take this example (from scores reported here at GMATclub)

50Q/44V=770
50Q/51V=780

7 point gain in V results in only 10 point gain in overall score. Ouch. I would be interested to see some actual breakdowns from people scoring 790 or 800, but we haven't seen any of those lately. I do also believe that as recently as a year ago, 50/50 would have yielded 800 (this is just based on older web articles, I haven't actually seen such a score).

Going from 44 to 51 doesn't result in a much higher verbal percentile 97/98 to 99+++++ , though from 50 to 51 in Q boosts your Q percentile from 94/95 to 98/99. I'm doing the GMAT next week, and I hope my score will add to the debate. :)
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Really? That's great. Maybe a pro can show us what is necessary for 790 or 800. Good luck, I will be looking forward to your report.
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 693 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
[#permalink]
I did the GMAT 16 years ago, but there was no CAT. I don't know how hard the questions can get! Is GMATPrep a good indication?

When I think of what you did, Pelihu, getting a 50Q without having done a quant. degree, I appreciate the enormity of your feat!
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey thanks man. My impression was that the math questions on the real thing, at their most difficult, were more difficult than those found in the GMATprep. It could be that some of the really tough questions were experimental and unscored. I felt like the verbal section was exactly in line with the GMATprep.

In my distant past, I was actually considered really good at math. I was probably the best math student at my high school (graduating class of about 1000). I guess the question is how the heck did I ever become an English major and go on to law school? Most people that knew me in high school probably wouldn't believe it. I will admit that when I cracked open the OG11 to start my GMAT math review, I realized that I had forgotten everything. Formulas for area and volume, number properties, multiple variable, etc. The funniest thing was coordinate geometry - I had forgotten which was X and which was Y. I was looking at it thinking, I've seen this before.... Fortunately, it all came back pretty quickly.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
yo, that's crazy storry!!

But I understand.
A friend of mine from MIT took two years off school.

Came back to school, forgot what 2^0 was...it happens!

The point is, intelligent people can learn things quickly!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
Take this example (from scores reported here at GMATclub)

50Q/44V=770
50Q/51V=780

Funny thing is that I also got 50Q/44V, but the final score was 760. So it seems that final score is not derived from these two scaled values, but calculated independently based on point value of each question...

pelihu wrote:
Hey thanks man. My impression was that the math questions on the real thing, at their most difficult, were more difficult than those found in the GMATprep. It could be that some of the really tough questions were experimental and unscored. I felt like the verbal section was exactly in line with the GMATprep.

Heh :) I actually had an opposite feeling - Q seemed a little beat easier then GMATprep, but verbal was really insane. :) I think it really depends on your own strength - I am stronger at Q, you are awesome at V... :)
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Braindancer, you took the test very recently right? I believe there has been an adjustment in the scoring with the last 4-6 weeks. I believe that all scaled scores within a given time frame will be assigned the same overall scores.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hmmm. You may be right... Anyway, it seems we don't have enough data to make solid conclusions.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
In my experience, I had 6 min to spare at the end of Q and 4 at the end of V. Actually, I used these times largelly to rest me in case of Q and to be the most sure possible for the last V question.

But, I wonder wether either the final score or the raw scores are influenced by the time spent to answer the questions. In other words, If I clicked faster to finish the both sections, would I have a better score? ;)
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fig wrote:
In my experience, I had 6 min to spare at the end of Q and 4 at the end of V. Actually, I used these times largelly to rest me in case of Q and to be the most sure possible for the last V question.

But, I wonder wether either the final score or the raw scores are influenced by the time spent to answer the questions. In other words, If I clicked faster to finish the both sections, would I have a better score? ;)

That's an interesting theory, I have not heard of anything like that before. I took until the last minute to finish with the Q section, but I finished the V section with more than 20 minutes to spare (second attempt). One thing I was wondering was whether you are given different RC questions for the same passage based on your accuracy.

Braindancer, I agree that we really need more accurate data. That's why I get so mad at those people that come here and lie about their scores. It makes it difficult to figure out exactly what is going on, and more importantly it might influence those that are still preparing to take the exam.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
can not agree more!

I will post my honest score when done with the gmat on the 13th of October!!! Eventhough it may be an embarassing score....

Good luck and lets keep everyone informed!!

Zz
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
It seems that my hypothesis was correct... Mlohani has also recently taken the test, and his Q50/V42 also gave him 760. So there must be some flexibility between Q/V and total score; not always does Qx/Vy result in total Z.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]