It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 02:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 10

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 13

Concentration: Human Resources, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '14
How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2013, 00:09
6
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

63% (01:52) correct 37% (02:40) wrong based on 214 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits are there, which are not multiples of 10?

A. 576
B. 520
C. 504
D. 432
E. 348
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 13

Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 42536

Kudos [?]: 135189 [6], given: 12671

Re: How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2013, 00:21
6
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
aparnaharish wrote:
How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits are there, which are not multiples of 10?

A. 576
B. 520
C. 504
D. 432
E. 348


A number not to be a multiple of 10 should not have the units digit of 0.

XXX

9 options for the first digit (from 1 to 9 inclusive).
8 options for the third digit (from 1 to 9 inclusive minus the one we used for the first digit).
8 options for the second digit (from 0 to 9 inclusive minus 2 digits we used for the first and the third digits)

9*8*8=576.

Answer: A.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135189 [6], given: 12671

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Taking the GMAT
Affiliations: ?
Joined: 05 Dec 2011
Posts: 16

Kudos [?]: 0 [3], given: 0

Location: Spain
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Wharton '16, CBS '16
GMAT Date: 10-09-2013
GPA: 3.3
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
Re: How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2013, 01:46
3
This post received
KUDOS
Perfectly clear!! Thank you very much!

Kudos [?]: 0 [3], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 May 2013
Posts: 186

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 72

Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2013, 00:59
Bunuel wrote:
aparnaharish wrote:
How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits are there, which are not multiples of 10?

A. 576
B. 520
C. 504
D. 432
E. 348


A number not to be a multiple of 10 should not have the units digit of 0.

XXX

9 options for the first digit (from 1 to 9 inclusive).
8 options for the third digit (from 1 to 9 inclusive minus the one we used for the first digit).
8 options for the second digit (from 0 to 9 inclusive minus 2 digits we used for the first and the third digits)

9*8*8=576.

Answer: A.


Hi Bunuel,

why is this solution wrong?
9C1 options for the first digit (from 1 to 9 inclusive).
9C1 options for the Second digit (from 0 to 9 inclusive minus the one we used for the first digit).
7C1 options for the third digit (from 1 to 9 inclusive minus 2 digits we used for the first and the second digits)

Which gives
9*9*7=567

Where i am wrong???

Thanks in Advance,
Rrsnathan.

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 72

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 42536

Kudos [?]: 135189 [0], given: 12671

Re: How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2013, 01:02
rrsnathan wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
aparnaharish wrote:
How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits are there, which are not multiples of 10?

A. 576
B. 520
C. 504
D. 432
E. 348


A number not to be a multiple of 10 should not have the units digit of 0.

XXX

9 options for the first digit (from 1 to 9 inclusive).
8 options for the third digit (from 1 to 9 inclusive minus the one we used for the first digit).
8 options for the second digit (from 0 to 9 inclusive minus 2 digits we used for the first and the third digits)

9*8*8=576.

Answer: A.


Hi Bunuel,

why is this solution wrong?
9C1 options for the first digit (from 1 to 9 inclusive).
9C1 options for the Second digit (from 0 to 9 inclusive minus the one we used for the first digit).
7C1 options for the third digit (from 1 to 9 inclusive minus 2 digits we used for the first and the second digits)

Which gives
9*9*7=567

Where i am wrong???

Thanks in Advance,
Rrsnathan.


If the second digit is 0, then you'll have 8 not 7 options for the third digit.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135189 [0], given: 12671

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 283

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 242

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2013, 10:21
Bunuel wrote:
aparnaharish wrote:
How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits are there, which are not multiples of 10?

A. 576
B. 520
C. 504
D. 432
E. 348

A number not to be a multiple of 10 should not have the units digit of 0.

XXX

9 options for the first digit (from 1 to 9 inclusive).
8 options for the third digit (from 1 to 9 inclusive minus the one we used for the first digit).
8 options for the second digit (from 0 to 9 inclusive minus 2 digits we used for the first and the third digits)

9*8*8=576.

Answer: A.

Hi Bunuel,

why is this solution wrong?
9C1 options for the first digit (from 1 to 9 inclusive).
9C1 options for the Second digit (from 0 to 9 inclusive minus the one we used for the first digit).
7C1 options for the third digit (from 1 to 9 inclusive minus 2 digits we used for the first and the second digits)

Which gives
9*9*7=567

Where i am wrong???

Thanks in Advance,
Rrsnathan.


If the second digit is 0, then you'll have 8 not 7 options for the third digit.

Hope it's clear.

It will still be wrong it is 9*9*8 and not 9*8*8...
still confused

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 242

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2014
Posts: 121

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 24

Re: How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2014, 04:26
Shouldn't it be 9x9x8?

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 24

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 42536

Kudos [?]: 135189 [0], given: 12671

Re: How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2014, 04:32

Kudos [?]: 135189 [0], given: 12671

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2013
Posts: 26

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 19

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2014, 22:07
I did in this way :

case 1: tens place is 0 : 8 x 1 x 9 = 72

case 2 : tens place is not 0 : 7 x 8 x9 = 504

therefore , total numbers = 72 + 504 = 576 ans.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 19

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2013
Posts: 65

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 243

Re: How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 19:01
Bunuel, Why must one go by 1st-3rd-2nd digit option and not 1st-2nd-3rd digit option, which would result in 9*9*8?


Bunuel wrote:
aparnaharish wrote:
How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits are there, which are not multiples of 10?

A. 576
B. 520
C. 504
D. 432
E. 348


A number not to be a multiple of 10 should not have the units digit of 0.

XXX

9 options for the first digit (from 1 to 9 inclusive).
8 options for the third digit (from 1 to 9 inclusive minus the one we used for the first digit).
8 options for the second digit (from 0 to 9 inclusive minus 2 digits we used for the first and the third digits)

9*8*8=576.

Answer: A.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 243

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2013
Posts: 278

Kudos [?]: 487 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 12:05
Amit0507 wrote:
Bunuel, Why must one go by 1st-3rd-2nd digit option and not 1st-2nd-3rd digit option, which would result in 9*9*8?


hi, there can be certain cases in which zero can occur at the 3rd digit, if one follows 1st-2nd-3rd digit option. in order to eliminate all such cases we go with 1st-3rd-2nd digit option.

remember a number will be divisible by 10 if its last digit ends with zero, and in this case we want to eliminate all such cases in which zero occurs at the unit digit.

i hope it helps.

Kudos [?]: 487 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2013
Posts: 65

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 243

Re: How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2014, 18:06
Hi Manpreet,
The approach is still not clear to me. By 9*9*8 option, we eliminate the possibility of a Zero at the 3rd place.


manpreetsingh86 wrote:
Amit0507 wrote:
Bunuel, Why must one go by 1st-3rd-2nd digit option and not 1st-2nd-3rd digit option, which would result in 9*9*8?


hi, there can be certain cases in which zero can occur at the 3rd digit, if one follows 1st-2nd-3rd digit option. in order to eliminate all such cases we go with 1st-3rd-2nd digit option.

remember a number will be divisible by 10 if its last digit ends with zero, and in this case we want to eliminate all such cases in which zero occurs at the unit digit.

i hope it helps.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 243

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2013
Posts: 278

Kudos [?]: 487 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2014, 01:57
Amit0507 wrote:
Hi Manpreet,
The approach is still not clear to me. By 9*9*8 option, we eliminate the possibility of a Zero at the 3rd place.


lets try to understand, why we approach this question from first digit and why not from second or third digit ??

we don't want zero at the first digit. why ?? if zero occurs at the first digit then number won't be a three digit number(it will become a two digit number). that's why we want to eliminate all such cases in which zero occurs at the first digit so we started with first digit. now up to this point we have 9 possibilities for first digit . which are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. suppose we selected 9 for the first digit. so number will be 9,_,_

now lets suppose we follow your method. so for second digit we have 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. now from these 9 numbers suppose we selected digit 8

so the number is 98_

now for third digit we have 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7, now from these 8 number we can select any of the number. that is we have certain cases in which 0 can also occur at the third digit. (i.e. 980 is one of the possible number) which we don't want.

hence we have to eliminate all such possible cases.

Kudos [?]: 487 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2013
Posts: 65

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 243

Re: How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2014, 02:44
You mixed possibilities with the number at the highlighted section. Let me explain my approach.
1. I have 9 possibilities for the 1st digit.
2. I have again 9 possibilities for the second place as I will consider 0 here
3. Now out of 10, 2 numbers are used. If I assume 0 was used in the second place (10_) then I have 8 possibilities for the last place as well. so the final possibility will be 9*9*8.
I hope I made myself clear on the understanding. Please point out the flaw.




manpreetsingh86 wrote:
Amit0507 wrote:
Hi Manpreet,
The approach is still not clear to me. By 9*9*8 option, we eliminate the possibility of a Zero at the 3rd place.


lets try to understand, why we approach this question from first digit and why not from second or third digit ??

we don't want zero at the first digit. why ?? if zero occurs at the first digit then number won't be a three digit number(it will become a two digit number). that's why we want to eliminate all such cases in which zero occurs at the first digit so we started with first digit. now up to this point we have 9 possibilities for first digit . which are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. suppose we selected 9 for the first digit. so number will be 9,_,_

now lets suppose we follow your method. so for second digit we have 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. now from these 9 numbers suppose we selected digit 8

so the number is 98_

now for third digit we have 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7, now from these 8 number we can select any of the number. that is we have certain cases in which 0 can also occur at the third digit. (i.e. 980 is one of the possible number) which we don't want.

hence we have to eliminate all such possible cases.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 243

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Jun 2013
Posts: 278

Kudos [?]: 487 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2014, 02:57
Amit0507 wrote:
You mixed possibilities with the number at the highlighted section. Let me explain my approach.
1. I have 9 possibilities for the 1st digit.
2. I have again 9 possibilities for the second place as I will consider 0 here
3. Now out of 10, 2 numbers are used. If I assume 0 was used in the second place (10_) then I have 8 possibilities for the last place as well. so the final possibility will be 9*9*8.
I hope I made myself clear on the understanding. Please point out the flaw.




manpreetsingh86 wrote:
Amit0507 wrote:
Hi Manpreet,
The approach is still not clear to me. By 9*9*8 option, we eliminate the possibility of a Zero at the 3rd place.


lets try to understand, why we approach this question from first digit and why not from second or third digit ??

we don't want zero at the first digit. why ?? if zero occurs at the first digit then number won't be a three digit number(it will become a two digit number). that's why we want to eliminate all such cases in which zero occurs at the first digit so we started with first digit. now up to this point we have 9 possibilities for first digit . which are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. suppose we selected 9 for the first digit. so number will be 9,_,_

now lets suppose we follow your method. so for second digit we have 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8. now from these 9 numbers suppose we selected digit 8

so the number is 98_

now for third digit we have 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7, now from these 8 number we can select any of the number. that is we have certain cases in which 0 can also occur at the third digit. (i.e. 980 is one of the possible number) which we don't want.

hence we have to eliminate all such possible cases.


how do you know that zero will be at the second position. ?? i have highlighted one of the cases in which zero will not be at the second position.

and my dear friend, i'm not mixing any possibilities. that's the correct way of approaching the problem.

Kudos [?]: 487 [0], given: 13

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 14949

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2016, 09:57
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2017
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 23:16
I found the total distinct#s and subtract the #s that end with Zero
9*9*8 - 9*9*1 = 576

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Status: GMAT...one last time for good!!
Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 71

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 18

Location: India
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2017, 02:40
AdityaHis wrote:
I found the total distinct#s and subtract the #s that end with Zero
9*9*8 - 9*9*1 = 576


9*9*8 - 9*9*1 = 567 and not 576...

9*9*8-9*8*1=576

_ _ _; Last digit has to be 0, so one possibility.
First digit can be one of 9 possibilities(1 to 9). second digit can be 8 (10-2)
_________________

Kudos for a correct solution :)


Last edited by origen87 on 25 Apr 2017, 09:00, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 18

Expert Post
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
S
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 1921

Kudos [?]: 1010 [0], given: 3

Location: United States (CA)
Re: How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 07:55
aparnaharish wrote:
How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits are there, which are not multiples of 10?

A. 576
B. 520
C. 504
D. 432
E. 348


Let’s analyze the number of choices for each of the 3 digits from left to right.

Since the first digit can’t be 0, there are 9 choices for the first digit.

Since the second digit can’t be same as the first digit (but it can be 0), there are also 9 choices for the second digit. However, let’s consider the following two cases: 1) the second digit is not 0, and 2) the second digit is 0. For each of these two cases, we will also consider the last digit.

Case 1: The second digit is not 0

Since the second digit is not 0 (and it can’t be the same as the first digit), there are 8 choices for the second digit. As for the last digit, it can’t be 0 (otherwise it will be a multiple of 10) and it can’t be the same as either of the first two digits; thus, there are 7 choices. Thus, there are 9 x 8 x 7 = 504 three-digit numbers with distinct digits when the second digit is not 0.

Case 2: The second digit is 0

Since the second digit is 0, there is only 1 choice for the second digit. As for the last digit, it can’t be 0 (otherwise it will be a multiple of 10) and it can’t be the same as either of the first two digits. However, since the last digit won’t be 0, it won’t be the same as the second digit. In other words, it only needs to be different from the first digit; thus there are 8 choices. Thus, there are 9 x 1 x 8 = 72 three-digit numbers with distinct digits when the second digit is 0.

Lastly, the number of three-digit numbers with distinct digits is 504 + 72 = 576.

Answer: A
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Kudos [?]: 1010 [0], given: 3

Re: How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2017, 07:55
Display posts from previous: Sort by

How many 3 digit positive integers with distinct digits

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.