Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618736 [14]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [2]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
How many integer values of x do NOT satisfy (x–4)(x+3)/(x+4)(x+5) > 0? [#permalink]
Kudos
I think answer is clearly 8 not 10 because , for -4 and -5 , if you substitute in equation we get ( something/0 ) , any mathematic person can say this will tends to infinity , (for ex 1/0 = tends to infinity by concept of limits) , so LHS > 0 is sustained , so answer should be only 8 i.e -3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3,4 .
Bunuel i thinnk OA should be fixed.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GRE 1: Q170 V167
Send PM
How many integer values of x do NOT satisfy (x–4)(x+3)/(x+4)(x+5) > 0? [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
How many integer values of x do NOT satisfy \(\frac{(x–4)(x+3)}{(x+4)(x+5)} > 0\)?

A. 11
B. 10
C. 9
D. 8
E. 7

Are You Up For the Challenge: 700 Level Questions

We would like to scrutinize the range \(x <= 4\) and \(x >= -5\). When \(x > 4\), we have all four factors as positive and the fraction must be greater than 0. When we have \(x < -5\), all four factors are negative and the fraction must be greater than 0.

Then our focus is the range \(-5 <= x <= 4\), the four values x = 4, -3, -4, -5 either make the fraction 0 or create the divide by 0 error. The values of x between (x = 4) and (x = -3), \(-2 <= x <= 3\) give 3 positive terms and 1 negative term, making the fraction negative so we include all those values too.

In total, we have 4 + 6 = 10 values that do not satisfy this inequality.

Ans: B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
multiply both sides by (x+4)^2 (x+5)^2
u get (x-4)(x+3)(x+4)(x+5) > 0
using the number line method. We can identify that -2,-1,0,1,2,3 all give negative values hence less than 0.
Also -4,-3,-5 and 4 makes the equation equal to 0.
so total is 10 values.
IMO B

https://gmatclub.com/forum/solving-ineq ... 74110.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
B should be the answer (10 values) ranging from -5 to +4 (inclusive)
Bunuel can u please clarify?

Originally posted by PallabiKundu on 25 May 2020, 00:24.
Last edited by PallabiKundu on 25 May 2020, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22044 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: How many integer values of x do NOT satisfy (x–4)(x+3)/(x+4)(x+5) > 0? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
How many integer values of x do NOT satisfy \(\frac{(x–4)(x+3)}{(x+4)(x+5)} > 0\)?

A. 11
B. 10
C. 9
D. 8
E. 7

We see that if x is an integer greater than 4, all the factors are positive; therefore, the expression is positive and hence greater than 0. Similarly, if x is an integer less than -5, all the factors are negative; therefore, the expression is positive and hence greater than 0. Therefore, all the values of x that do not satisfy the inequality must be between -5 and 4, inclusive.

Even though -4 and -5 make the denominator 0, they are still values of x that do not allow the given inequality to hold as true. Thus, these two values are counted.. Furthermore, if x is 4 or -3, we see that the numerator will be 0, which makes the entire expression 0. Since 0 is not greater than 0, we will include 4 and -3 as two additional values of x that do not allow the given equality to hold as true.

Finally, we see that if x is any integer value from -2 to 3, inclusive, (x - 4) will be negative, while the other 3 factors, (x + 3), (x + 4) and (x + 5) will be positive. Therefore, the value of the expression is negative, and hence it’s not greater than 0 for any of these six values of x.

Therefore, there are 2 + 2 + 6 = 10 integer values of x that do not satisfy the inequality. They include all integers between -5 and 4, inclusive.

Answer: B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
Send PM
Re: How many integer values of x do NOT satisfy (x–4)(x+3)/(x+4)(x+5) > 0? [#permalink]
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 11
B. 10
C. 9
D. 8
E. 7

We see that if x is an integer greater than 4, all the factors are positive; therefore, the expression is positive and hence greater than 0. Similarly, if x is an integer less than -5, all the factors are negative; therefore, the expression is positive and hence greater than 0. Therefore, all the values of x that do not satisfy the inequality must be between -5 and 4, inclusive.

Even though -4 and -5 make the denominator 0, they are still values of x that do not allow the given inequality to hold as true. Thus, these two values are counted.. Furthermore, if x is 4 or -3, we see that the numerator will be 0, which makes the entire expression 0. Since 0 is not greater than 0, we will include 4 and -3 as two additional values of x that do not allow the given equality to hold as true.

Finally, we see that if x is any integer value from -2 to 3, inclusive, (x - 4) will be negative, while the other 3 factors, (x + 3), (x + 4) and (x + 5) will be positive. Therefore, the value of the expression is negative, and hence it’s not greater than 0 for any of these six values of x.

Therefore, there are 2 + 2 + 6 = 10 integer values of x that do not satisfy the inequality. They include all integers between -5 and 4, inclusive.

Answer: B

How can we consider if the value is undefined?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
VeritasKarishma Can you please help me to understand this question ?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: How many integer values of x do NOT satisfy (x4)(x+3)/(x+4)(x+5) > 0? [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: How many integer values of x do NOT satisfy (x4)(x+3)/(x+4)(x+5) > 0? [#permalink]
Moderators:
Math Expert
92901 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts