GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 15:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

     December 11, 2018

     December 11, 2018

     09:00 PM EST

     10:00 PM EST

    Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     December 13, 2018

     December 13, 2018

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

How many integers are there between, but not including,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 66
How many integers are there between, but not including,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Sep 2011, 07:50
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:02) correct 28% (01:31) wrong based on 37 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

How many integers are there between, but not including, integers a and b ?

(1) b - a = 8

(2) There are 7 integers between, but not including, a - 1 and b - 1.

Originally posted by shashankp27 on 09 Sep 2011, 05:32.
Last edited by shashankp27 on 09 Sep 2011, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 1820
Re: Number of integers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2011, 05:41
shashankp27 wrote:
How many integers are there between, but not including, integers a and b ?

(1) b - a = 8

(2) There are 7 integers between, but not including, a - 1 and b - 1.


Sol:

We know that both a and b are integers.

(1) b-a=8
The numbers of integers between two integers not including the extremes will be:
b-a-1=8-1=7
Sufficient.

(2)b-1-(a-1)-1=7
b-a-1=7
Sufficient.

Ans: "D"
_________________

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 66
Re: Number of integers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2011, 07:24
fluke wrote:
shashankp27 wrote:
How many integers are there between, but not including, integers a and b ?

(1) b - a = 8

(2) There are 7 integers between, but not including, a - 1 and b - 1.


Sol:

We know that both a and b are integers.

(1) b-a=8
The numbers of integers between two integers not including the extremes will be:
b-a-1=8-1=7
Sufficient.

(2)b-1-(a-1)-1=7
b-a-1=7
Sufficient.

Ans: "D"



Is it not possible that integers might repeat in between a and b? Based on this thought , i chose E .
Am i missing something ? Please advise.
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 1820
Re: Number of integers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2011, 07:43
1
shashankp27 wrote:
Is it not possible that integers might repeat in between a and b? Based on this thought , i chose E .
Am i missing something ? Please advise.


For this question,

"How many integers are there between"

is interpreted as

"How many different integers are there between"

What you said might be true for few of the sets questions. Here, a and b are merely two integers on a number line.
_________________

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 66
Re: Number of integers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2011, 07:49
fluke wrote:
shashankp27 wrote:
Is it not possible that integers might repeat in between a and b? Based on this thought , i chose E .
Am i missing something ? Please advise.


For this question,

"How many integers are there between"

is interpreted as

"How many different integers are there between"

What you said might be true for few of the sets questions. Here, a and b are merely two integers on a number line.



Thanks , will keep a note of this one.
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 9117
Premium Member
Re: How many integers are there between, but not including,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 12:14
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: How many integers are there between, but not including, &nbs [#permalink] 04 Jul 2018, 12:14
Display posts from previous: Sort by

How many integers are there between, but not including,

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.