Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:01 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? This is o [#permalink]
Hi Experts, GMATNinja AndrewN KarishmaB
MartyTargetTestPrep

Please can you help explain the relevant part of the passage "Since the number experiencing joblessness at some time during the year is several times the number unemployed in any month, those who suffer as a result of forced idleness can equal or exceed average annual unemployment, even though only a minority of the jobless in any month really suffer".

As per above please advise why the ans to QS 8 is Option D.

Thanks
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Send PM
Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? This is o [#permalink]
Expert Reply
KittyDoodles wrote:
ReedArnoldMPREP wrote:
woohoo921 wrote:
Can an expert kindly explain why A is the correct answer to question 9? I chose B because the author seemed to say that there were limited social programs available now. Thank you!

The author's discussion on why poverty statistics don't show problems in the labor market can be found in the last sentence of the first paragraph:

Quote:
Most of those counted by the poverty statistics are elderly or handicapped or have family responsibilities which keep them out of the labor force, so the poverty statistics are by no means an accurate indicator of labor market pathologies.

What does that mean?

It's saying "We can't use poverty stats to know about problems in the labor markets. Most people in the 'poverty' category have reasons that prevent them from working... that is, there is *nothing* that could make them work... so we can't use that number to tell us anything (since we're concerned with people who CAN work)."

Question 9 asks us to weaken this argument.

So basically, I want to say, "Actually, author, there might be a reason poverty statistics CAN help us know something about labor issues in the market."

Answer A achieves this goal. If the 'poverty' rate suddenly spikes, A indicates that "It's not because there are suddenly more people in that category who are unable to work. That number is actually pretty constant. So a spike in poverty rate means an influx of people into poverty who CAN work. That might tell us there is trouble in the labor market."

Answer B says that there are social programs for people who fall into poverty due to joblessness, but that doesn't help us argue that maybe the poverty stats are useful to determine labor market issues.

Hi ReedArnoldMPREP

Please can you explain why Option C is wrong.

Thanks

See my above discussion for more analysis on what we want the answer to do. It needs to show that poverty statistics CAN be useful to show effects of problems in labor market, despite the author's arguments for why poverty statistics are NOT useful to show effects of labor market problems.

C says:

Quote:
(C) Poverty statistics do not consistently agree with earnings statistics, when each is taken as a measure of hardship resulting from unemployment.

This says that, when we use them to determine how 'bad' things have gotten due to unemployment, there are differences between poverty statistics and earning statistics. But that doesn't mean poverty statistics are BETTER or USEFUL, either objectively or relative to earning statistics. It just says the 'hardship results' we get when measuring 'poverty' do not agree with the 'hardship results' we get when measuring 'earnings.'
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
KittyDoodles wrote:
Hi Experts, GMATNinja AndrewN KarishmaB
MartyTargetTestPrep

Please can you help explain the relevant part of the passage "Since the number experiencing joblessness at some time during the year is several times the number unemployed in any month, those who suffer as a result of forced idleness can equal or exceed average annual unemployment, even though only a minority of the jobless in any month really suffer".

As per above please advise why the ans to QS 8 is Option D.

Thanks

It's a tricky sentence.

Let's understand it in pieces:

"The number experiencing joblessness at some time during the year" means the people who were unemployed for some time during a 12 month period.

"The number unemployed in any one month" is the number that is unemployed in one month.

The sentence says that the first number exceeds the second.

So basically, the number of people who are employed AT SOME POINT IN A YEAR is higher than the number unemployed in ANY ONE MONTH.

An example can help me understand this.

If there are 10 people unemployed each month, but it's always 10 *different* people, then there are 100 people, overall, who are unemployed at some point throughout the year, which is more people the unemployment rate per month ('10') might indicate.

The rest of the sentence says that more people can suffer than average annual unemployment might indicate, and now that I've laid out these two numbers, I can maybe see why. If 2 of those people suffer every month, then by year's end, 24 people have suffered, even though the unemployment rate was '10,' and even though only a minority of the unemployed ever 'suffered.'

All of this should explain why D is the right answer. Since DIFFERENT PEOPLE are counted as 'unemployed' throughout the year, more people 'suffer' from unemployment than the 'rate' might suggest.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Quote:
I am not able to understand answer option 9. Can someone explain?

Hi Diksha123456789

In Question 9 we need to choose an option that criticizes or weakens the author's argument that is:- "poverty statistics cannot properly be used to show the effects of problems in the labor market as most of those counted by the poverty statistics are elderly or handicapped or have family responsibilities which keep them out of the labor force"

now option A which is the correct ans says that - because the number of these people (handicapped , elderly etc) will remain constant in short-term, if poverty increases it can indicate that more people that had jobs became jobless or in other words there might be a shortage of jobs. so that means this indicator still can be used and it weakens the reasoning used by author.

let me know if it helps!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts