Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [52]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [20]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Sustainability, International Business
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [12]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [6]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can 5 different colored marbles be placed in 3 distin [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
praffulpatel wrote:
How many ways can 5 different colored marbles be placed in 3 distinct pockets such that any pocket contains at least 1 marble?

(A) 60
(B) 90
(C) 120
(D) 150
(E) 180

We have 5 marbles and 3 pockets
So we have two cases

Case-1: One Pocket with 3 marbles and two pockets with 1 marble each
No. of Arrangements = 5C3 * 3C1 * 2! = 10*3*2 = 60
5C3 - No. of ways of choosing 3 out of 5 marbles which have to go in one pocket
3C1 - No. of ways of choosing 1 out of 3 pockets in which 3 marbles have to go
2! - No. of ways of arranging remaining 2 marbles between remaining two pockets which get one marble each

Case-2: Two Pockets with 2 marbles each and one pockets with 1 marble
No. of Arrangements = 5C2 * 3C2 * 3C2 = 10*3*3 = 90
5C2 - No. of ways of choosing 2 out of 5 marbles which have to go in one pocket
3C2 - No. of ways of choosing 2 out of remaining 3 marbles which have to go in second pocket
3C2 - No. of ways of choosing 2 out of 3 pockets in each of which 2 marbles have to go

Total cases = 60+90 = 150

Answer: option D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Re: In how many ways can 5 different colored marbles be placed in 3 distin [#permalink]
GMATinsight, Bunuel, VeritasPrepKarishma,

I'm hoping one of you can explain why the 1-1-1 combination is ignored in answering this question. The question asks:
Quote:
How many ways can 5 different colored marbles be placed in 3 distinct pockets such that any pocket contains at least 1 marble?

Would the answer not include 5P3? Since we can have at least 1 marble (i.e. exactly one marble) in each spot and the question does not specify that we must use all five of the marbles. Additionally, I think that permutation is the right way of counting for the 1-1-1 combination since a marble arrangement of Green-Blue-Red in pockets one-two-three is different from Blue-Red-Green in pockets one-two-three and so forth.
For the 1-1-1 combination, we will have: 5!/(5-3)! = 60 different arrangements.

Then we come to the 3-1-1 and 2-2-1 combinations.

For the 3-1-1 combination, in pocket one we can have any three of the five distinct marbles. The order inside one pocket doesn't matter. Therefore, we will use 5C3. For the 2nd pocket, we have two marbles left and we can only pick one because we must leave one for the third pocket. Therefore, we will use 2C1. And for the last (third) pocket we only have one choice. Now, we have 5C3, 2C1 and 1C1 in pockets one-two-three. These can be ordered in 3!/2! different ways because 2C1 = 1C1, and we have already counted the possibility of different colors in each pocket.
So for 3-1-1 combination, we have: 5C3 * 2C1 * 1C1 * 3!/2! = 60 different arrangements.

Similarly, for the 2-2-1 combination we have: 5C2 * 3C2 * 1C1 * 3!/2! = 90 different arrangements.

Finally, we will get 60+60+90 = 210 arrangements if we consider 1-1-1 to be a valid option - since the question does not explicitly exclude this possibility.

Could you please explain why we ignored 1-1-1 combination?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jhabib wrote:

I'm hoping one of you can explain why the 1-1-1 combination is ignored in answering this question. The question asks:
Quote:

Would the answer not include 5P3? Since we can have at least 1 marble (i.e. exactly one marble) in each spot and the question does not specify that we must use all five of the marbles. Additionally, I think that permutation is the right way of counting for the 1-1-1 combination since a marble arrangement of Green-Blue-Red in pockets one-two-three is different from Blue-Red-Green in pockets one-two-three and so forth.

For the 3-1-1 combination, in pocket one we can have any three of the five distinct marbles. The order inside one pocket doesn't matter. Therefore, we will use 5C3. For the 2nd pocket, we have two marbles left and we can only pick one because we must leave one for the third pocket. Therefore, we will use 2C1. And for the last (third) pocket we only have one choice. Now, we have 5C3, 2C1 and 1C1 in pockets one-two-three. These can be ordered in 3!/2! different ways because 2C1 = 1C1, and we have already counted the possibility of different colors in each pocket.
So for 3-1-1 combination, we have: 5C3 * 2C1 * 1C1 * 3!/2! = 60 different arrangements.

Similarly, for the 2-2-1 combination we have: 5C2 * 3C2 * 1C1 * 3!/2! = 90 different arrangements.

Finally, we will get 60+60+90 = 210 arrangements if we consider 1-1-1 to be a valid option - since the question does not explicitly exclude this possibility.

Hey jhabib,

You have to place all the marbles. If you assume the 1-1-1 combination, note that 2 marbles are leftover. But you HAVE TO distribute 5 marbles. So 3-1-1 and 2-2-1 are the only possibilities. All 5 marbles must be distributed.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi jhabib

The Question has clearly specified that "ALL the Marbles have to be assigned to 3 pockets" so 1-1-1 needs to be ignored

Along with 1-1-1, 1-1-2, 1-2-1 ans 2-1-1 also need to be ignored. :)

I hope it helps!

jhabib wrote:
GMATinsight,

Quote:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [2]
Given Kudos: 527
Send PM
Kudos
praffulpatel wrote:

(A) 60
(B) 90
(C) 120
(D) 150
(E) 180

hi

I have seen a solution to a problem similar to this one elsewhere on the forum
let me explain it to you

5 different colored marbles can be placed in 3 distinct pockets without any restriction is

= 3^5 = 243

as we are asked to find out the ways in which any pocket must get at least 1 marble, lets find out the ways in which any pocket must not get at least 1 marble, and then subtract the number of ways in which any pocket must not get at least 1 marble from the total number of ways, that is 3^5

so lets get going

number of ways in which all marbles can get to 1 pocket is

= 3, as there are 3 distinct pocket in total

now, number of ways in which 2 pockets can get all the marbles and 1 pocket remains empty is

= (2^5 - 2) * 3 = 90

2 has been subtracted to eliminate the possibility that any pocket out of 2 can get all the marbles

3 has been multiplied with the whole expression, because 2 pockets out of 3 have been selected

now we are in business

the answer is

= 243 - 90 - 3

= 150 (D)

hope this helps
thanks

cheers, and do consider some kudos, man
:cool:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
jhabib wrote:

Quote:

Hey jhabib,

You have to place all the marbles. If you assume the 1-1-1 combination, note that 2 marbles are leftover. But you HAVE TO distribute 5 marbles. So 3-1-1 and 2-2-1 are the only possibilities. All 5 marbles must be distributed.

Dear Karishma ..
I am bitterly confused with this problem . I doubt the approach or the problem has some defect . Please correct me if I am wrong .
All the approaches are considering 3 bags as identical , but in problem they are distinct .
My approach to this problem :
I am considering 5 different marbles a b c d e and 3 different bags 1 2 3 .
So first distribute 3 balls one ball each to each bag .
select 3 balls to distribut 5C3 and then distribute to 3 different bags in 3! ways .
so total 60 ways .
Now we are left with 2 balls and 3 bags each containing one ball each .
for first ball we have 3 options and second ball again 3 options . 3*3 ways .
TOTAL = 60*3*3=540 ways .

Please somebody help me in this . This problem just made me mad .. :P
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
karnaidu wrote:
Dear Karishma ..
I am bitterly confused with this problem . I doubt the approach or the problem has some defect . Please correct me if I am wrong .
All the approaches are considering 3 bags as identical , but in problem they are distinct .
My approach to this problem :
I am considering 5 different marbles a b c d e and 3 different bags 1 2 3 .
So first distribute 3 balls one ball each to each bag .
select 3 balls to distribut 5C3 and then distribute to 3 different bags in 3! ways .
so total 60 ways .
Now we are left with 2 balls and 3 bags each containing one ball each .
for first ball we have 3 options and second ball again 3 options . 3*3 ways .
TOTAL = 60*3*3=540 ways .

Please somebody help me in this . This problem just made me mad .. :P

You have some double counting here. When you select some from a group and distribute and then distribute the rest to the same bags/pockets, there is double counting.

Say you distributed a, b, c first such that
Bag1 had a
Bag2 had b
Bag3 had c
Then you distributed d and e such that Bag1 got d and bag2 got e.

Take another case.
Say you distributed d, b and c first such that
Bag1 had d
Bag2 had b
Bag3 had c
Then you distributed a and e such that Bag1 got a and bag2 got e.

Note that both cases have exactly the same end result. But you would count them as two separate cases. Similarly, there will be other cases which will be double counted. Hence this method will not work.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [1]
Given Kudos: 545
GMAT 1: 640 Q38 V40
GMAT 2: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 3: 570 Q31 V38
GMAT 4: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.75
Send PM