Join us for MBA Spotlight – The Top 20 MBA Fair      Schedule of Events | Register

It is currently 05 Jun 2020, 09:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

How much experience is too much for a traditional 2 year MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
How much experience is too much for a traditional 2 year MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2019, 12:08
Ive heard rumors that 7+ years experience is too much for a top tier MBA program. I have about 6.5 years by matriculation (will be 28 by matriculation) and wondering if that is too much for a school such as Sloan, McCombs, or Duke? I dont want to feel like im the older one compared to my classmates and want to blend in well.. Also want to make sure adcoms do not reject me automatically for my age/experience.
MBA Admissions Consultant
P
Reviews Badge
Re: How much experience is too much for a traditional 2 year MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2019, 23:35
7+ years of work experience will not prevent you from being accepted to traditional 2 year MBA program, especially if you can explain why do you need an MBA now and how it makes sense for your career goals, but keep in mind that the average WE for top programs is around 5 years.

Older and more experienced applicants tend to apply to Executive MBA programs because it makes more sense career-wise: https://aringo.com/mba-vs-emba-vs-mim/

Regarding the schools you mentioned - Average WE at Sloan is 4.9 years, at McCombs 5.5 years, at Duke 5.6 years.

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2019, 03:14
That's a perfect age! Having 7 years of work experience should give you a good foothold during recruiting to be able to angle for more serious and senior position vs. some of your 25-something classmates. Maturing will help also provide a deep pool to draw upon during class discussions, debates, and hopefully your better credit history helps too! ;-)

P.S. You should not have any age-related issues until you start hitting 30's
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2019, 01:37
No concern whatsoever, and especially for those schools. Sloan actually likes slightly older students. HBS and GSB like younger applicants, but you are still very much in the zone.
chestud13 wrote:
Ive heard rumors that 7+ years experience is too much for a top tier MBA program. I have about 6.5 years by matriculation (will be 28 by matriculation) and wondering if that is too much for a school such as Sloan, McCombs, or Duke? I dont want to feel like im the older one compared to my classmates and want to blend in well.. Also want to make sure adcoms do not reject me automatically for my age/experience.

Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2020, 15:28
Well, those are just rumors.
From the class profiles of the incoming classes of 2019 at top schools, a safe bet is that work experience of over 10 years for business schools in the USA, and 12 years for business schools in the UK could be considered a challenge for admission to a two-year traditional MBA.
Look at the average work experience for the incoming class of 2019 for some of the top European schools.
HEC Paris- 5.8 years
INSEAD- 6 years
London Business School- 5 years
University of Cambridge Judge- 6 years
University of Oxford Said- 5 years
Now, some of these business schools also have 20% of students with work experience of over 15 years.
If you have a string equation of employability, your 7+ years of work experience won’t be a problem for the admissions committee members at your target business schools.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: How much experience is too much for a traditional 2 year MBA   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2020, 15:28

How much experience is too much for a traditional 2 year MBA

new topic post reply Update application status