Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
GPA: 2.7
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Other
Schools: University of Wisconsin (Madison) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.66
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: How Much Notice to Give at Work? [#permalink]
I ended up giving 4 months notice and my employer was very grateful. We'll be working on the transition and wrapping up projects in my last 4 months.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
I gave notice last week even although I will leave in late July. The employer was greatful and appreciated my early advise. If you're in good relationships, let your manager know the news asap.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
My director found out third-hand from somebody in another department. Someone I hang out with outside of work told her boss, who told someone else (you get the idea) and it came up in a work related meeting (since he's not going to be here...). She was NOT happy to find out this way.

She's very happy for me and fully supportive after I had to do a little damage control on why I (or my manager) didn't tell her sooner. I 100% threw the gossip crew under the bus and my director understood my reasoning for keeping it under wraps until I made final decision on my school and exit date.

Of course I found out from that same friend that my director is leaving the company the very same week. Still not public knowledge. Amazing.

Point is - people talk. It's much better coming from you, do it as soon as possible unless you think it will jeopardize your employment for those extra months you want to work.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Operations, Statistics
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I gave them 2 and half months because my company hires slowly and they treat their people well. No real issues as of yet and no one is treating me that much differently.

I wouldn't recommend everyone do this but my situation is special because I have two different bosses who would be effected. 1 wrote my reco and knew I was leaving but can not hire my replacement until I told the other... to be in ops finance and have two bosses...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I have a predicament regarding when to give notice. I was originally planning to give notice the third week in June, one week after our annual trade show in Las Vegas. My last day would then be one month later in the middle of July. Due to budget cuts this year, the number of people who will get to go to this trade show is limited. I am supposed to be going, but some of my colleagues have been cut.
A few of my close friends at work who know I am going to business school do not think I should go to the trade show and then give notice the following week. They feel I am taking someone else's spot, and my untimely resignation may anger management.
We are supposed to be booking flights next week for this trade show, so if I plan not to go then I have to give notice now. I don't want to burn any bridges with management, but I am also worried that giving 2.5 months notice will put my job at risk. We're in the midst of a hiring freeze so I may not ultimately be replaced, and who's to say that they wouldn't let me go immediately to save money? I cannot afford to be without employment before mid-July, though.
Any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Operations, Statistics
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
ls413 wrote:
I have a predicament regarding when to give notice. I was originally planning to give notice the third week in June, one week after our annual trade show in Las Vegas. My last day would then be one month later in the middle of July. Due to budget cuts this year, the number of people who will get to go to this trade show is limited. I am supposed to be going, but some of my colleagues have been cut.
A few of my close friends at work who know I am going to business school do not think I should go to the trade show and then give notice the following week. They feel I am taking someone else's spot, and my untimely resignation may anger management.
We are supposed to be booking flights next week for this trade show, so if I plan not to go then I have to give notice now. I don't want to burn any bridges with management, but I am also worried that giving 2.5 months notice will put my job at risk. We're in the midst of a hiring freeze so I may not ultimately be replaced, and who's to say that they wouldn't let me go immediately to save money? I cannot afford to be without employment before mid-July, though.
Any thoughts?

Any way you can get out of the trip at this point? Can you think of an excuse, lie, or good reason? I'm into honesty myself but if you get out of a trip and someone else goes without revealing that you are leaving you aren't doing a disservice to anyone.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Unless you are in the middle of a major project for your company, I would only give 2 weeks notice... That is the professional expectation. Think of it this way, if the company was planning to let you go, how much notice time do you think you would have gotten from the company??
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBADreamzzz wrote:
Unless you are in the middle of a major project for your company, I would only give 2 weeks notice... That is the professional expectation. Think of it this way, if the company was planning to let you go, how much notice time do you think you would have gotten from the company??

That's true... it may be too much of a risk to give notice now. And, can they really be upset? I am not legally required to give more than 2 weeks notice. I already plan to give 4 to ease the transition, so maybe that's enough. I guess I'll have to give this some more thought. I'm going back and forth about it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Update on my situation: I decided to let my bosses know that I am leaving. I didn't feel right about going to this trade show and potentially burning bridges. Fortunately, they were very supportive and assured me that I can stay at work for as long as I want. I may even get to go to the trade show after all :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2