Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [239]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [8]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [9]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [6]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Re: How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale [#permalink]
Kudos
integraldx wrote:
I can tell with reasonable confidence that Indian GPAs are a joke. Nobody can possibly have an accurate way of converting Indian GPAs to a 4.0 scale. There are some universities in India, where the average student tends to get an 8/10 and there are some where 6/10 is the average. There is no way to have a system which considers the idiosyncrasies of each stupid university. There is variance even among IITs (or at least there was, it might have improved now). GPA is supposed to be a proper bell curve grading. In reality hardly any universities follow this. Its not just that each university has its own philosophy, but within a university grades may vary from department to department and from prof to prof. My solution to this problem is to curse your fate for studying in this chaotic education system, report your score out of 10 and hope for the best. If you don't get into a school of your choice, start praying that your children have a better future.

Thank you.

I'm still waiting for someone to "actually" answer my question.

P.S: Just to add to your "reasonable confidence" rant: What you have written above is kind of true. But you are assuming every university follows a GPA system i.e. students are graded relatively (on a bell curve). There are a lot of universities that rate on absolute marks.
I agree, at the end of the day, the grading system is not standardized as in US or some other countries. But its getting better and is absolutely no reason to curse my fate.
And I'd also like to tell you, it appears from your "solution" that you are not a very happy person after all and definitely not a one, who I would like to study with.

I apologize for being rude above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [5]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I agree with rasta to some extend.....While applying to one of the schools, I mentioned 4.0 as my GPA. Graduating with First Class (60% in Mumbai Univ) is all that top B-schools expect. Some universities no doubt have a rigorous marking scheme (eg. University of Mumbai). On the other hand, I've heard of students in the north (Punjab especially) scoring 90-95% in engineering. 30% of the batch in the south (Bangalore university for instance) scores above 70% and roughly 5% of them score above 80%. In Mumbai Univ, these scores are rare and depends on the stream you study as well. You can't really compare the marking scheme across universities and streams. Having said that, most of the schools consider 60% at the graduation level as good and focus on other aspects of your app....
Also, why do students who score 80-90% in engineering from these universities end up scoring 600-650 on the GMAT, while someone with 55-60% from Mumbai University can manage 730-780? That clearly shows the difference in intellectual level, which isn't really captured in the graduation scorecard. I'm pretty sure the adcom will be looking at these discrepancies as well.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [5]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Gokhra wrote:
I think this sort of mis-information can be dangerous. Regarding U.S. undergraduate institutions, you DO NOT need a minimum GPA of 2.75 to graduate, a GPA below 3.0 IS NOT considered a shocker by most people, and a GPA between 3.0 and 3.5 is DEFINITELY NOT below average. Please do not base your judgement on what you see on these forums. Most of those who come on these forums are high achievers who only apply to top business schools and hence have high GPAs to begin with.

Furthermore, the WES and Wikipedia conversion tables are a joke. In my graduating class from college, NO ONE got a 4.0 GPA. That is true in most cases. Are you telling me that no one in India graduates with a percentage about 60%? Using these tables to convert and report your scores does not really do anybody "justice".

Yeah... seriously...

3.0-3.5 below average... Thats a HUGE range... I graduated with a 3.32 and was in the top 20% of my class... What a random and generalized statement
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 926 [3]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
MacFauz wrote:
I think a fair way to calculate would be something like this. My BE was from Anna University. The pass mark was 50% and 75% is considered distinction. My understanding about the US GPA is that 2.75 is the minimum required GPA for passing and 4 is the maximum possible. So from this correlation

\(\frac{Indian Percentage-50}{75-50} = \frac{US GPA-2.75}{4-2.75}\)

\(\frac{Indian Percentage-50}{25} = \frac{US GPA-2.75}{1.25}\)

\(Indian Percentage-50 = (US GPA-2.75)*20 = 20*USGPA - 55\)

\(USGPA = \frac{Indian Percentage + 5}{20}\)

I have spoken to quite a few admission consultants, admission ambassadors, current & ex students , and all have been saying that the Adcoms are well aware of the dynamics of scoring in most Indian systems (Engineering, IIT Non IIT, Buisness schools, Medical schools etc) and consider your performance relative to that. I have been advised to stay away from calculating my GPA (converting my Percentage to GPA) and leave the judging of my performance to the adcoms who have a fairly decent idea of what is good and what is bad.

Quote:
Hmmm... I understand... My percentage in my BE was 70. .7*4 = 2.8. I do not think this is a fair reflection at all... 3.75 on the other hand seems fair...

The adcoms would most likely not bother converting your academic score , They will evaluate your transcripts and your stellar GMAT score and then form a picture of your academic level. 70% is a very very good score in most Engineering colleges in India, and one can say that it would be a 3.75 or higher but i dont think we should bother much about where we stand compared to the US scale. One area where GPA could matter is in getting scholarships where your academic performance is weighted against other candidates to determine who gets how much..
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [2]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Kudos
US GPA = (INDIAN GPA out of scale of 10 + 2) / 3

70% = INDIAN GPA 7.0 ; US GPA = 9/3=3.0
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Kudos
Gokhra wrote:

I think this sort of mis-information can be dangerous. Regarding U.S. undergraduate institutions, you DO NOT need a minimum GPA of 2.75 to graduate, a GPA below 3.0 IS NOT considered a shocker by most people, and a GPA between 3.0 and 3.5 is DEFINITELY NOT below average. Please do not base your judgement on what you see on these forums. Most of those who come on these forums are high achievers who only apply to top business schools and hence have high GPAs to begin with.

Furthermore, the WES and Wikipedia conversion tables are a joke. In my graduating class from college, NO ONE got a 4.0 GPA. That is true in most cases. Are you telling me that no one in India graduates with a percentage about 60%? Using these tables to convert and report your scores does not really do anybody "justice".

Agreed. But still confused as to how to report it to Columbia. They want us to convert it 4.0 GPA scale.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
I can tell with reasonable confidence that Indian GPAs are a joke. Nobody can possibly have an accurate way of converting Indian GPAs to a 4.0 scale. There are some universities in India, where the average student tends to get an 8/10 and there are some where 6/10 is the average. There is no way to have a system which considers the idiosyncrasies of each stupid university. There is variance even among IITs (or at least there was, it might have improved now). GPA is supposed to be a proper bell curve grading. In reality hardly any universities follow this. Its not just that each university has its own philosophy, but within a university grades may vary from department to department and from prof to prof. My solution to this problem is to curse your fate for studying in this chaotic education system, report your score out of 10 and hope for the best. If you don't get into a school of your choice, start praying that your children have a better future.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [2]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Kudos