Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:13 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Feeling your Pain! [#permalink]
Chen,

I am a native english speaker and completed the Manhatten test 1 today and only got 33!!!

In the real GMAT test i didnt fair that much better either...but i am improving........

What i am trying to say is that the verbal component is hard (really hard) ...and for you and other non native speakers out there well i simply dont know how you do it!!!

I would echo those words from the last post made but also add that judging from your both your postings (the type of english) and your name that you are Chinese/or at least Chinese diaspora...In which case you should try and ask as many people from China that take the GMAT and improve their verbal scores as possible. They will share the same problems and experiences as you and you can take it from there.

Someone say who is from France or Spain taking the GMAT will still clearly have an advantage over someone like yourself when speaking English owing to the closeness of the languages...whereas a Chinese speaker will encounter a whole different set of problems.....

I am currently living in China and there are many who cant put a sentence together and end up with very high scores of 700 plus. ..they are the ones you should be asking....

PS You should try a website called chasedreams or something..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
that's what I think also that GMAT sometimes for some people
are not testing really verbal ability but testing brain ability .
I also know many people who can't speak much
they end up their IBT toefl less than 80 because they can't speak much
but holding GMAT 720.

I don't want to believe much that GMAT is brain testing but
some of results do make me start to believe
Anyway, I postpone my MBA to fall 2007 and start
building up verbal from reading . At least I'm supposed to know more
vocabulary and read faster than now
I plan to try another shot on GMAT next 5 months
and hope to see any progress :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The GMAT is definitely not testing your English verbal skills. Of course you have to know a little English to understand the questions , but not more than that. You don't need to be anywhere close to a native speaker to get a really good score. You have to learn the grammar really hard and need good analytical skills to crack the verbal part. I can say even more than that: you don't have to really understand the RC passage to get the right answers. My English verbal skills suck big time, yet I got 750 with a solid 40 on the verbal part. So don't waste your time to learn English, learn GMAT rules and you will be fine.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's good that you are planning to take the test again. I think that you can get the score you want with proper preperation.

I agree that the verbal section doesn't really test your english skills. The SC come the closest to directly testing verbal skills, but the RC can be conquored without native-level English skills. The CR actually has little to do with English skills, so if you can sharpen your CR & RC scores, you can go a long way towards neutralizing any difficulties you have with SC.

Good luck.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi, Chen,

First I would like to commend on your spirit of not giving up. For non-English speakers verbal part is hard. But it is conqureable with proper preparations. For the three parts you need different strategies. If you are good at math you are probably also good at logic. Look at my posts regarding CR strategies. You should be able to crack that relatively easily. RC requires of a more long term strategy. Try to read more, and read a wide range of materials. SC is the most rigid part, in my opinion. You simply need to know what GMAT likes to test you, and be able to spot those.

Let me know if there is anything I could help.

Good luck to your futher studying

Hong
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you for your generosity Mrs.honghu
I'm really appreciated this :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi, Chen.
I'm not a native speaker either. In my opinion, reading more can't never be wrong. Try to read several good magazines for now. You can start reading Economist, the New York Times, BBC, Washington Post, etc. I remember someone mentioned not long ago that if you really want to improve, you should literally read word for word. It's a good strategy. Pay attention to details, not just understanding the sentences, but why the sentences are written that way, dissect the sentences. Pay attention to idioms, especially the preposition usage (certain words have to go with certain prepositions). You know, during the test, we don't want to guess; that will be employed as a last resort.

Reading is a good habit. Keep at it and you can continuously expand your vocabulary base.

Good luck to your next attempt!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 782 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I really want to put emphasis on reading The Economist... IMO it's the best reading for great sentence construction and idioms!!! Sometimes when I read it and see "SO X blah blah"... I am looking for the second part of the idiom hiding inbetween some information :lol:

It's amazing how you can improve with reading!!! and someone said about correcting grammar in everyday life... I notice people's mistakes too and try to edit my posts to avoid giving an idea to rhyme that he is reading a "moron's post" :lol:

CHEN, just remember... you are not alone... many ESL students struggle with verbal (including me), but it is definitely beatable!!!

Good luck.

ps... how come the forum doesn't have a spell check??? is this on purpose, so we practice for AWA :twisted:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I share WallStreet Journal online with my friends now for 79$ per year
but most of subject is what I really get used to (stock market&economic)
so the result is I can finish it faster than other subjects

I will take Economist and NewyorkTimes into consideration
thanks for your recommendation celiaXDN
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts