Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [2]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4560 [1]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Re: How to improve a 500 score to 650 in 3 weeks? [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi pjar,

Welcome to gmatclub!

The best indicator of your score is the official CAT. You get 2 for free at mba.com.

You need a good study plan to save time and do well:
GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep

Consider getting another textbooks:
Best GMAT Verbal Books
Top & Best GMAT Math Books
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT
HOW TO IMPROVE VERBAL - TIPS
How to improve your verbal score
How to Improve Verbal from V30 to V40

Hope it helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [1]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
pjar wrote:
Hello everyone,

I want to apply to a master program that demands a 650 gmat score, or at least 600 to be even considered as an application.

I started my prep like 1 month ago. I bought the book "Cracking the GMAT 2019 edition from Princeton Review", and at first glance i liked it. I readed all the book and now i know the basics. However, now that i have started to take some exams, i see that it does not offer me the required level.
Then i started to do some exercises on Veritas: My quantitative skills are good, but not excellent, and my verbal is poor. I am a non-native who still struggle a lot with verbal, in particular with sentence correction.
In my first princeton review test i scored a poor 430 (36Q & 14V). Today, i made an official one from gmatprep and scored a 500 (41Q & 19V). I need to improve a looot in my verbal score. I also feel i can improve a little bit on my quantitative, but i think i should spend a lot more time in verbal.
I feel like the verbal part in the book i bought was much less confusing than it is on the real GMAT. I struggle to understand and focus on long RC passages and i was not able to understand some CR arguments on real gmat. Perhaps, on veritas my CR is above average.

Despite my writing mistakes, I have no problems reading in English.
I have approximadetly 3 weeks until my exam (not consecutive). Is it possible to improve like 100/150 points in this period of time?

If it is, what should i do? I feel like i need to improve a lot in my verbal part and i dont know what path i should take.

Thanks a lot for your time :thumbup: ;)

Hi mate,

With regards to getting the last few points out of verbal the following might be of help

1. Check out the SC specific threads on this forum, some of them (generally those with a lot of kudos) are very helpful

2. Listen to some of the videos on the YT chanel from Veritas, Magoosh and GmatNinja

3. Maybe check out the link in my signature, it adresses some verbal topics in general.

All the best for your prep my friend and I am confident you can crack the 650,
Chris
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22051 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi pjar,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. So, although you certainly can try, it’s highly unlikely that will improve your GMAT score by 100+ points in just three weeks. Thus, rather than driving yourself nuts, you may consider waiting to take the GMAT until you are consistently scoring 650s on practice GMAT exams.

As far as improving your verbal score, since you scored a V19, it’s clear that you are lacking some fundamental skills necessary for a good verbal score. Thus, moving forward, consider using a resource that allows you FIRST to learn the concepts and strategies related to Sentence Correction, Critical Reasoning, and Reading Comprehension, and SECOND to practice with a large number of realistic questions.

For example, assume you begin studying Critical Reasoning. Your first goal is to master the individual Critical Reasoning topics: Strengthen the Argument, Weaken the Argument, Resolve the Paradox, etc. As you learn each Critical Reasoning problem type, do focused practice so you can assess how well you understand the topic. If, for example, you incorrectly answer a Weaken the Argument question, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific Critical Reasoning question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? You must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly. Follow a similar process for Reading Comprehension.

Sentence Correction, on the other hand, is a bit of a different animal compared to Reading Comprehension and Critical Reasoning. There are three aspects to getting correct answers to GMAT Sentence Correction questions: what you know, such as grammar rules, what you see, such as violations of grammar rules and the logic of sentence structure, and what you do, such as carefully considering each answer choice in the context of the non-underlined portion of the sentence. To drive up your Sentence Correction score, it is likely that you will have to work on all three of those aspects, and it is also likely that the reason that your Sentence Correction performance has not improved is that you have not been working on all three of those aspects. Let's discuss each of those aspects and how you can work on them.

Regarding what you know, to be successful in Sentence Correction, first and foremost, you MUST know your grammar rules.

Let's be clear, though: GMAT Sentence Correction is not really a test of knowledge of grammar rules. The reason for learning the grammar rules is so that you can determine what sentences convey and whether sentences are well-constructed. In fact, in many cases, incorrect answers to Sentence Correction questions are grammatically flawless. Thus, often your task is to use your knowledge of grammar rules to determine which answer choice creates the most logical sentence meaning and structure.

This determination of whether sentences are well-constructed and logical is the second aspect of finding correct answers to Sentence Correction questions, what you see. Likely, the main reason that Sentence Correction has not "clicked" for you is that you have not put enough work into developing your skill in seeing what is going on in the various versions of the sentence that can be created with the answer choices. To develop this skill, you probably have to slow way down. You won't develop this skill by spending under two minutes per question. For a while, anyway, you have to spend time with each question, maybe even, say, ten or fifteen minutes on one question sometimes, analyzing every answer choice until you see the details that you have to see in order to choose the correct answer.

As you go through the answer choices, consider the meaning conveyed by each version of the sentence. Does the meaning make sense? Even if you can tell what the version is SUPPOSED to convey, does the version really convey that meaning? Is there a verb to go with the subject? Do all pronouns in the sentence clearly refer to nouns in the sentence? By slowing way down and looking for these details, you learn to see what you have to see in order to clearly understand which answer to a Sentence Correction question is correct.

There is only one correct answer to any Sentence Correction question, there are clear reasons why that choice is correct and the others are not, and those reasons are not that the correct version simply "sounds right." In fact, the correct version often sounds a little off at first. That correct answers may sound a little off is not surprising. If the correct answer were always the one that sounded right, then most people most of the time would get Sentence Correction questions correct, without really knowing why the wrong answers were wrong and the correct answers were correct. So, you have to go beyond choosing what "sounds right" and learn to clearly see the logical reasons why one choice is better than all of the others.

The third aspect of getting Sentence Correction questions correct is what you have to do. The main thing that you have to do is be very careful. You have to make sure that you are truly considering the structures of sentences and the meanings conveyed rather than allowing yourself to be tricked into choosing trap answers that sound right but don't convey meanings that make sense. You also have to make sure that you put some real energy into finding the correct answers. Finding the correct answer to a Sentence Correction question may take bouncing from choice to choice repeatedly until you start to see the differences between the choices that make all choices wrong except for one. Often, when you first look at the choices in a Sentence Correction question, only one or two seem obviously incorrect. It may take time for you to see what you have to see. Getting the right answers takes a certain work ethic. You have to be determined to see the differences and to figure out the precise reasons that one choice is correct.

To improve what you do when you are answering Sentence Correction questions, seek to become aware of how you are going about answering them. For instance, are you being careful and looking for logic and details, or are you quickly eliminating choices that sound a little off, and then choosing the best of the rest? If you choose an incorrect answer, consider what you did that resulted in your arriving at that answer and what you could do differently in order to arrive at correct answers more consistently. Furthermore, see how many questions you can get correct in a row as you practice. If you break your streak by missing one, consider what you could have done differently that would have resulted in your extending your streak.

As with your Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension regiments, after learning a particular Sentence Correction topic, you will want to engage in focused practice with 30 questions or more that involve that topic. As your Sentence Correction skills improve, you’ll then want to practice with Sentence Correction questions that test you on skills from multiple Sentence Correction topics.

Ultimately, if you are unable to learn and practice in the manner described above, you may consider looking for additional verbal prep resources. If you are unsure of which resources to choose, check out some reviews here on GMAT Club.

Regarding quant, although your quant score is better than your verbal score, you may consider improving your GMAT quant score as well. To improve in GMAT quant, you can follow a study routine similar to the one I suggested for verbal. For example, if you find that you are not strong in answering Number Properties questions, carefully review the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions and practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. As you practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why you got it wrong. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

Once again, you may need additional quant materials, so you can take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant courses.

You also may find it helpful to read my article for more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with questions.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks a lot to DavidTutorexamPAL, Akela , Arro44 , EMPOWERgmatRichC for your perspectives. Also thank you ScottTargetTestPrep for your detailed guide for verbal score improvement.
All the tips are very valuable, and i have to admit i have already started to feel some improvement with them. In the past, i finished some sets of 15 questions about SC on veritas and i always got around 37% correct. Now i am getting consistently 70%. I started to focus on logic meaning too (a major weakness in my previous attempts), and it is starting to pay back!
Anyway, i will try to do my best in this short period of time. If can achieve 600, i also have a chance to enter the program, altought i do not have a word about it of course.
I feel like i am not losing time studying for GMAT, i am improving important skills that will be helpful in many ways. So i will try my best...
If i achieve the target score, great. If i dont, at least i tried

Thanks again
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
nigina93 i can see your point. It will not be any easy. However, if i reschedule my exam, I will not be able to follow the path I have chosen (the track I choose has august as its deadline). But if it has to be, it will be.

I forgot to mention that I would be able to study around 4/5hours per day.
So my decision right now is if I will work hard this 3 weeks or I take it in a more soft way.

Does everyone has a different opinion?

Thanks a lot

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi pjar,

To start, improving from a 430 to a 500 in one month is a notable achievement - and it shows that you have the capacity to learn and improve. Assuming that you really 'want' a 650+ GMAT Score though, raising that 500 to a 650+ will be far more challenging - and will require that you make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. All of that training will likely require at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study, so you might need to consider pushing back your Test Date. While I understand that you want to apply to School sooner rather than later, you have to remember your REAL Goal: to get into your first-choice School. There's no point in trying to 'rush' to try to make an application deadline if your application isn't likely to be strong enough to get you an invite. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) When you took these CATs, did you take the FULL CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
3) What are the application deadlines for each of those Schools (including the later application Rounds)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
pjar wrote:
Thanks a lot to DavidTutorexamPAL, Akela , Arro44 , EMPOWERgmatRichC for your perspectives. Also thank you ScottTargetTestPrep for your detailed guide for verbal score improvement.
All the tips are very valuable, and i have to admit i have already started to feel some improvement with them. In the past, i finished some sets of 15 questions about SC on veritas and i always got around 37% correct. Now i am getting consistently 70%. I started to focus on logic meaning too (a major weakness in my previous attempts), and it is starting to pay back!
Anyway, i will try to do my best in this short period of time. If can achieve 600, i also have a chance to enter the program, altought i do not have a word about it of course.
I feel like i am not losing time studying for GMAT, i am improving important skills that will be helpful in many ways. So i will try my best...
If i achieve the target score, great. If i dont, at least i tried

Thanks again

Happy to hear you're doing so much better!
Best of luck wherever you choose to go
GMAT Club Bot