Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:49 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [25]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [175]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [21]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [52]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: How to improve my RC accuracy? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I studied RC to the point where I ended up mastering it and have a few pointers I can give you. I put my strategies into video and a PDF - so if you want to check out the PDF which is free, here it is:
https://www.gmatpill.com/ebook/GMATPill' ... eworks.pdf

The RC strategies that Aximili85 mentioned can be a starting point. Let me try to break down some strategies and pitfalls.

1. After reading an RC question you have a choice. Do you
A) start reading through the answer choices
B) start looking through the passage
C) a combination of both?

2. How do I read the RC Passage on first pass?

3. I pick an answer that is right and seems right to me, but then when I check it, I'm wrong! What am I doing wrong?

So these are common issues and I've given detailed explanations on my thinking process to help you get through all of this. I think video is the best way to communicate. RC Questions with text explanations just don't correct me on the spot. I can figure out what I did wrong afterward...but it will never change how I think as I read through that passage for the first time.

So, my answer:
1. Categorize the RC question into two types. If the question is general with no specific details mentioned in the question, you should READ THRU the answer choices FIRST.

Quote:
"The author's argument in the passage is based on which of the following assumptions."

Very general question. For these questions, you should draw upon your first read and the "connecting dots" that tell the story, and use that to directly read through answer choices A thru E to get your answer.

Quote:
"The author's argument concerning the effect of the official sale of duplicate artifacts on illegal excavation is based on which of the following assumptions."

This is a detailed question. Notice that the question replaced "in the passage" with "<lots of details>". When the question refers to a specific detail, you want to dive directly to the specific part of a passage where that detail is talked about.

What Aximili85's friend who scored a 760 said is partially correct. He/she said all the answers were within 2 or 3 sentences for all the RC questions. True but not for all types of RC questions because I've seen all types. Some times, there will be multiple references of the topic in the passage and so while you might think the answer choice is B from reading about the *first* instance where that topic is mentioned, if you keep on reading and you read over the *second* and *third* instance of that topic, your answer might change to C. So it's very important that for these detailed questions, you do a quick scan of the passage and pinpoint all locations in the passage where that detailed topic is mentioned. Then draw on those "3 connecting dots" to derive your answer. I know it's hard to comprehend so I show you exactly what I'm doing and where my eyeball is in the RC Pill videos (there are several free ones you can take a look at).

2. When reading the RC Passage on the first read, you've got to follow 4 simple rules.

1) Emotions! Pretend to be super excited about the passage even though the passage is boring!
2) First Sentence Focus - Get main idea, skim the details
3) Cut The Fluff - reduce complex sentence structures into simple subject+verb formats, will increase comprehension tremendously
4) Focus on Transitional Phrases (However, Moreover, Ironically, etc) and determine direction that author is taking. Every passage ALWAYS has a direction - explaining a concept, refuting a theory, providing support to a way of thinking, etc. What is it? Figure it out!
5) Connect the Dots

These are the steps. The BIG question is how to apply them. Again, rather than show you by text, you can check out my video explanations here
https://www.gmatpill.com/practice-questi ... -guide-rc/

3. "I pick an answer that is right and seems right to me, but then when I check it, I'm wrong! What am I doing wrong?"

I've gotten this a lot actually. This is because you're not fully reading the entire question. Your answer might be right, but it's not right in the context of the entire question that is asked. In other words, based on 80% of what a question asks, answer A might be the obvious answer. But answer A doesn't fully answer the remaining 20% of what that question is asking, therefore it CANNOT be correct. These are the traps that Aximili85 mentioned and they are very common for the "detailed" type questions. Because certain detail might fit, but not 100% of the answer choice will be correct, only most of it. And so GMAT test folks LOVE to trick you up here.

The foundation for all RC questions will always be the 10 seconds you take to CONNECT THE DOTS of the passage. You use the summary of your CONNECTING THE DOTS to answer all main idea questions, and to guide you where to direct your cannon firepower - pararaphs 1 and 2? or just specifically at the end of paragraph 1? All time efficiency decisions can be aided when you've CONNECTED THE DOTS properly.
Attachments

GMATPill's RC Frameworks.pdf [223.04 KiB]
Downloaded 5137 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
would any of you know how your MGMAT verbal scores tally with the actual GMAT verbal? Hard to tell I know, but I'm writing this coming Wednesday, and I've been getting V43 - 45 on MGMATs, and wrote the GMAC 2 exam yesterday and dropped to V42. I'm wondering if I can pull up that up by even one point for D-Day.

That said, I think GMAC's verbal is tougher than Manhattan's, but I was wondering if anybody else had any experience with this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Kudos
Aximili85 wrote:
would any of you know how your MGMAT verbal scores tally with the actual GMAT verbal? Hard to tell I know, but I'm writing this coming Wednesday, and I've been getting V43 - 45 on MGMATs, and wrote the GMAC 2 exam yesterday and dropped to V42. I'm wondering if I can pull up that up by even one point for D-Day.

That said, I think GMAC's verbal is tougher than Manhattan's, but I was wondering if anybody else had any experience with this.

Hi Aximili,

I would not read too much in the "drop" in GMAC score. 42 is still an excellent verbal score !! If you are comfortable with timing in the verbal section, especially with respect to the RC's, then i think you will do great in the real test.

Best of luck for your exam. Put the GMAT to to the mat :).

Crick
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts