Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 117
Send PM
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [1]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: how to improve the accuracy when the timer runs? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi shravyajaladi,

Many Test Takers face pacing issues in the Quant section, the Verbal section or both – so you are not alone. However, it's important to remember that pacing problems do NOT exist on their own - they're the results of OTHER problems. Most GMAT questions can be approached in more than one way, so if your way is taking too long, then it's likely that "your way" is the "long way." In the broader sense, you may have developed some 'bad habits' during your earlier studies that are costing you time (and potentially keeping you from scoring higher).

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you experts for your response. I will surely incorporate them in my prep.

scot

When the timer runs I go blank in the middle that I have to re read the question and options multiple times. Even though I know the approach I fail to apply it in the problem.

Regards,
Shravya
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rich

Thanks for your reply. Please find the below:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
I have studied for 2 and half months. I attended classroom coaching last year before covid but could not take the gmat. Started from scratch again. I approx study 30 hours a week.

2) What study materials have you used so far?
I have studied from official guide and the material which was given to us in classroom coaching.

3) On what dates (or approximate dates) did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
Before starting my preparation last year I gave the GMAT prep mock and got 440. I gave the free CAT in gmatclub and again got a low score.

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
My goal is 700.
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?
I am planning to apply to b-schools this year in September 2021

Target schools are :

Cambridge Judge business school
London Business School (LBS)
Indian School of Business
rotman school of management
sauder school of business

Looking forward for your advice.

Regards,
Shravya
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Shravya,

To start, since you are interested in some highly-competitive Schools, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

From what you've described, your studies so far have been "book heavy"; unfortunately, many GMATers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. The OG books are great sources for practice questions, but they're not designed to teach you Tactics, patterns or the little 'secrets' behind the GMAT - for those, you'll need Course-oriented materials. As such, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in some new, non-book study materials for this next phase of your studies.

Since you have not taken any NEW FULL-LENGTH practice CATs/mocks over the last 2.5 months, we really need to better define your current skills, strengths and weaknesses. I strongly recommend that you take one of the Official GMAC CATs sometime soon (perhaps this weekend). Make sure to take it in a realistic fashion that matches-up with what you will face when you take the Official GMAT (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, if you will be at a Test Facility, then wear a face mask, etc.). Once you have that Score, you should post back here (or you can feel free to PM me directly) and we can discuss the results and how you might best proceed with your studies.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
GMAT Club Bot