Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Sales (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Re: How to improve your quant from Q44 to Q50? [#permalink]
Bookmarks
bb wrote:

How to improve your quant from 44 to 50?

There are over 100,000 discussions on GMAT Club and a number of them touches on this subject. This is the collection of the best tips GMAT Club users have shared over the last 10 years addressing the question of improving your Quant score. Some of these are mind and others are from users who have contributed to numerous topics and discussions. There is no one-size fits all approach here. Some tips will work for you and others may not as everyone has various strengths and weaknesses. As always - I welcome your thoughts and suggestions. Note, there is a separate post on going from Q49 to Q51

Assumption of this Thread:

If you are constantly performing at the 44-46 quant range (previous tests , trusted prep material) that means:
- Mastered most of the required skilled
- Understand the structure and requirements of gmat math questions

Your Most Likely Weaknesses

• "Silly mistakes" i.e. things that in the pressure of the gmat you do wrong although you know and understand them
  • Get yourself into unnecessary complications in solving questions that can be solved much faster (not being able to see shortcuts)
  • Timing issues... there are some things that just take you too much time to get right
  • Mistakes that are a result of a subtlety of concepts that you were not sure about (which made you both spend time, eventually guessing or answering without confidence, sometime getting it wrong)

The Most Common Prep Mistakes:

• Concentrating on advanced concepts and hard questions. the ROI of this kind of prep is small (it would be higher if you were to advance from 49 to 51 for example). Otherwise, you are learning how to play the game at the highest level but actually never get there.
  • Jumping into the tests. I see a lot of GMAT Club members jump into the CAT's and not only use up many of them (to only end up with few resources by the end) but also discourage and distract themselves. Think of it as trying to reduce the fever with a thermometer. No matter how many times you check your temperature, it will be about the same and it won't help to keep checking.
  • Not timing your practice (e.g. books, mobile apps, anything you solve, you should be timing yourself)
  • Study mostly from the OG. OG is not a guidebook! It is a question collection. It is not designed to ace the test but rather give you an idea what to expect. The value comes in honing your ear and practice AFTER you have covered the basics and material, not before.
  • Not keeping track of their mistakes - if you encounter a mistake don't hide it and try to forget about it.
  • Stretching their prep time to 6+ months. The brain is a tricky thing and the older you are, the faster it forgets things. You need to refresh and go back frequently if you have been studying over 4 months. Otherwise, it is 2 steps forward and 3 steps back.

Recommendations for Improvement:

• Perfect your basic techniques. for example: solving regular linear, one variable equations should be performed with no mistakes at all, and should take you no more than 20-30 seconds; doing simple arithmetic - again... no mistakes are allowed, do it fast and with confidence... etc...
  • Try to understand types of math questions frequently appearing in the GMAT exam such as those featured by Math Revolution
  • Boost your confidence. My suggestion - do questions again and again, until you can do, in time, without guessing and providing full answers, until you can do a full test (37 questions of various difficulty) with no more then 2-5 mistakes.
  • Try to look for the simplest way of solving questions. Don't "buy" complex explanations. for 95% of gmat questions there are simple explanations. Also, don't sufficient yourself with just one way to solve questions. For many questions there are more than one good way to solve. familiarizing yourself with all of them will help you find the simplest way to do it. Follow Bunuel's posts - he often provides very eye opening solutions that are quick and effective.
    - Look for specialized material that concentrates (correctly) on subtleties of concepts, especially the concepts you feel are difficult for you. Usually it is really hard to come by specialized sets, but on GMAT Club forum, you can search questions by Tags and by Difficulty. You can use this forum very wisely.
  • Try GMAT Club tests - these are hard math problems designed to make you work hard for every question
  • Save the questions you miss. Print them out and go back to in a few days or weeks to make sure you can solve them. If you can't answer the same question again, then try again for the third time (remember - time yourself!). If you made a mistake the third time - memorize the question, the solution, and the answer. Yes, memorize and be able to write it out when needed from memory.
  • Get better at solving simple things and memorize some of the shortcuts. Here are arithmetic shortcuts to remember.
  • If nothing else helps, take a look at some of the timing strategies on GMAT Club
  • Use GMAT Club Math book - it is a free PDF download with the most common and hardest to grasp concepts
  • I would recommend focussing on accuracy in the beginning. Do the last 50 OG questions, 10 at a time after thoroughly understanding the concepts. Spend as much time as possible to ensure you get all right. for me, it took almost 2 and a half hours to complete. Once you find, you are getting 9 out of 10 right every time, you can move to practicing on a timed test, and try finishing 37 questions in 60 minutes. ( Keep accuracy at the top of your head, if you have to guess, try to eliminate at least 3 wrong answers.), but move on. This balance between speed and accuracy is the key to a higher quant score. - by Ashaker

If you Are not Quite to Q44 Yet:

Content reference and credit: inspiration and quite a few tips for this thread came from Hobbit's thread from 2007

I can't thank you enough for this thread.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
bb wrote:
[*] Not timing your practice (e.g. books, mobile apps, anything you solve, you should be timing yourself)
As a professional GMAT tutor, and someone who has improved his own scores from Q44 to Q50 (see my verified scores on lower left), I agree with almost all of this very helpful advice, except for the "always time yourself when practicing" part. I believe that in many cases, you need to practice untimed first: time pressure can build bad habits and/or create unnecessary anxiety.

Over 16 years of tutoring, it has become clear to me that it's better to first learn how to solve the question properly at your own speed, and then learn how to do so within the required time limit, in the same way that a musician might learn a song at half-speed, practicing each note slowly and carefully before ultimately performing it at the required tempo.

I agree with your approach. In my (fewer than 16) years of tutoring, I have helped numerous students get 49-50 on the Quant portion, and I always got them to learn how to solve problems first. Once they are comfortable solving problems in a logical and efficient way, they naturally get faster. They would need to check the clock when they faced a tough question and had to decide whether to tackle it. I like your musician analogy too :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
Whats a better way to use the gmatclub CATs? Quizzes or full CATs?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Wow, these are incredibly helpful tips. Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 490 Q44 V15
GMAT 2: 580 Q48 V22
GMAT 3: 590 Q48 V23
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi

bb Could you post "How to improve verbal from v15 to v30"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Schools: (S)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
Send PM
Hi bb,

When do you recommend taking GMAT club quant tests?

I have prepared for CAT (Indian MBA entrance test) last year so my basics are in place. Also I have gone through MGMAT quant strategy guides and solved entire OG 2020 quant problems.

I recently wrote two mock tests and scored as below -
1. GMATPrep 1 - Q48 (11 wrong answers - PS: 5 DS: 6)
2. ExpertsGlobal Free Mock - Q44 ( 17 Wrong answers - PS:10 DS: 7) - Felt quant section little tough.

Based on single official mock score, can I assume my quant is in good shape and do you recommend me to take GMATclub quant CATs at this stage?

Thanks in advance.

ShubhamP

PS: I wrore 1 GMATclub CAT 1 for quant and score 40 on that.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3