Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
When I felt myself getting nervous during the test, I would close my eyes and take a few deep breaths and try to clear my mind. Sure, it wasted 30 precious seconds, but if your mind is calm the solutions seem clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
bherronp wrote:
When I felt myself getting nervous during the test, I would close my eyes and take a few deep breaths and try to clear my mind. Sure, it wasted 30 precious seconds, but if your mind is calm the solutions seem clear.

Good point. Even if you spend just 15 seconds, the time you saved from not being stressed on that problem and for the rest of the test is invaluable.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
My suggestion is that try taking lots of practice tests in difficult circumstances (noisy surroundings, distractions etc.). The idea is to be prepared for the worst. Whatever can go wrong , normally DOES go wrong.... but if you have seen it go wrong before, you can be calmer the next time ...

Originally posted by bsd_lover on 08 Aug 2007, 07:01.
Last edited by bsd_lover on 08 Aug 2007, 07:09, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
bsd_lover wrote:
My suggestion is that try taking lots of practice tests in difficult circumstances (noise surroundings, distractions etc.). The idea is to be prepared for the worst. Whatever can go wrong , normally DOES go wrong.... but if you have seen it go wrong before, you can be calmer the next time ...

Sounds like the Tiger Woods' dad approach. :lol:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
As Accenture says - "Go on, Be a Tiger ..." :)

rajpdsouza wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:
My suggestion is that try taking lots of practice tests in difficult circumstances (noise surroundings, distractions etc.). The idea is to be prepared for the worst. Whatever can go wrong , normally DOES go wrong.... but if you have seen it go wrong before, you can be calmer the next time ...

Sounds like the Tiger Woods' dad approach. :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Earphones and/or earplugs are provided, so why the concern about noise? Dont all test centers provide some kind of noise dampening device?

I minimized both the timer and question counter to prevent stress..
Unfortunately i ran out of time, but i achieved my goal of not panicking.

good luck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
CookieMonster wrote:
Earphones and/or earplugs are provided, so why the concern about noise? Dont all test centers provide some kind of noise dampening device?

good luck

I actually don't like the complete silence that earphones or earplugs provide. I try to take my test in the same conditions as I study. My study conditions are pretty much quiet, but they aren't so quiet that I can hear my own heart beating.

If you're going to use the earphones/earplugs at the testing center, I would suggest that you take your practice CATs the same way.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think if you take lot many practice CATs you should be fine :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
the earplugs at the test center were... "powerful" (for lack of a better word). It was a bit *too* quiet for me, but it was good because it helped me concentrate. I usually take my practice tests in loud environments, with the fan on, super warm room, etc... so during the test it was the most comfortable I've felt in a long time! ;)

I would also do the "take 15-30 seconds" to relax method. Take a deep breath, think of the question as a fun trivia game, and just move on if you don't know how to do it and not let it affect you. The more you think about your mistakes, the worse you'll do.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
CookieMonster wrote:

good luck

wow... you are brave!!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Re: How to not have an anxiety attack DURING the test? [#permalink]
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
Sometimes when I take the test I feel like I have an anxiety attack or something. I'm on a math prob or CR prob and just not getting it. Then Im like CRAP I'm taking too much time, move on...

Then of course something has to happen, noises, bugs, dog barks, mailman, asteroid comes through the roof etc... anyway the tiniest thing annoys the **** out of me during this test and breaks my concentration.

How have you all over come this obstacle???

I feel like I get GMAT rage, I just wanna break, destroy, and kill whatever the heck is bothering me lol!

i definately have some anxiety at times too. i just try to tell myself "look dude, you've done all you can in 3 months time. you probably studied more than 90% of the folks who take the test... so you are gonna get what you are gonna get"

it does not work for me. :-D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
No way earplugs??? Thats AWSOME. i really have trouble w/ outside distractions. Only when taking the actual test though...

I can do problems timed individually just fine w/ a freakin circus going on, but when the probs are in a group or I am taking the actual test is where the problems arise.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [0]
Given Kudos: 379
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
try if this works for you, whenever I get stuck at a question and I'm pressed for time, I start talking to myself aggressively to take action. We tend to freeze when we see a tough question and observe that we're running out of time. Also when I feel extremely stressed during the test, I start cussing, it really helps release the stress. Do it softly, so that you don't disturb others, but do it with aggression, it will force you to take the right action. Talk to yourself throughout the test, like a coach talks to his boxer. Always remember that it is just a test, designed by people like you and me and you can definitely beat it. Start taking mock tests 1.5 months prior to your scheduled date and review not just the questions but your behavior throughout the test, it will help you realize what exactly is acting as a barrier to you getting your dream score.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts