GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 15:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

However much governments around the world may agree that nuclear proli

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 2.81
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: However much governments around the world may agree that nuclear proli  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2018, 04:13
Mona10031990 wrote:
on what basis this question falls in parallel structure can someone please explain

hi Mona10031990
there is a parallelism marker word "and" which is connecting two parallel entities "that nuclear proliferation must be halted" and "that steps should be implemented to reduce the level of nuclear stockpiles"

Hope it is clear.

Resources
GMATNinja Webinars
GMATNinja Chats

Quant
Mixtures

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: However much governments around the world may agree that nuclear proli  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2018, 11:49
Top Contributor
Parallelism is about the use of the introductory word 'that' for both the relative clauses, the one that is missing in choices C and D.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IIMA
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 09:33
daagh wrote:
The subtle essence of the topic is that there is much agreement and not mere agreement and that they may agree (the speculative intent of the modal verb may) and not simply agree

Choices B through E suffer from altered intent either by skipping the word much as in D or through stating affirmative agreements rather than possible agreements as in B, C and E. A reflects the two phenomena rightly

daagh

However "much" here seems to modify governments. I am finding it difficult to understand how "much" is a referent to "agreement".
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 10:06
Top Contributor
Prateek Could kindly reproduce the sentence you are referring to. But on the look of it, can we modify the plural 'governments' by a quantum adjective 'much'?

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 10:37
daagh wrote:
Prateek Could kindly reproduce the sentence you are referring to. But on the look of it, can we modify the plural 'governments' by a quantum adjective 'much'?

Sir,

I was talking about the opening sentence

"However much governments around the world may agree that nuclear proliferation......."

As per my understanding, "much" seems to modify "governments" here instead of "agreement" which cannot be possible because "much" can't modify something countable.

As per OE, "much" modifies "agreement". I didn't understand how?
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 10:52
Top Contributor
Much is a countless quantum word and governments is a plural count noun.CAn they be reconciled?

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2018, 11:09
daagh wrote:
Much is a countless quantum word and governments is a plural count noun.CAn they be reconciled?

They cannot be reconciled.

But I am confused because I didn't understand what does "much" modify?? Does it modify "agree"? The positioning of the word "much" seems a little weird to modify "agree".
Wouldn't the sentence be clearer if we say "However much agreement exists among the governments around the world that.........."

Option B here seems clearer.
Re: However much governments around the world may agree that nuclear proli &nbs [#permalink] 19 Jul 2018, 11:09

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

However much governments around the world may agree that nuclear proli

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap