It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 12:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

However much United States voters may agree that there is

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1790

Kudos [?]: 1089 [0], given: 5

Location: New York
However much United States voters may agree that there is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2007, 13:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

56% (00:36) correct 44% (00:48) wrong based on 236 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

2. However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyond its means, it is difficult to find broad support for a movement toward a minimal state

(A) However much United States voters may agree that
(B) Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact
(C) Although United States voters agree
(D) Even though United States voters may agree
(E) There is agreement among United States voters that


B,C,E are incorrect: because these statment certian about voters agreement. while orignal sentence uncertain (may)

A,D --- I will pick D (sounds better).

Any comments! appreciated.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 1089 [0], given: 5

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2471

Kudos [?]: 857 [0], given: 19

Re: SC - Voters (OG VR) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2007, 13:54
x2suresh wrote:
2. However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyond its means, it is difficult to find broad support for a movement toward a minimal state

(A) However much United States voters may agree that
(B) Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact
(C) Although United States voters agree
(D) Even though United States voters may agree
(E) There is agreement among United States voters that


B,C,E are incorrect: because these statment certian about voters agreement. while orignal sentence uncertain (may)

A,D --- I will pick D (sounds better).

Any comments! appreciated.


i also found this question pretty difficult but i am convinced now that only A makes sense as we need "That" to connect two clauses. "That" is missing in other choices.

Kudos [?]: 857 [0], given: 19

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 146

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Schools: UCLA Anderson School of Mgmt (FEMBA Class of 2013)
WE 1: 7.5 years in Engg. Consulting
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2007, 13:59
"However much United States voters may agree" is a dependent clause and "there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyond its means" is an independent clause; therefore you need a subordinating conjunction to join these two, and that serves the purpose. Hope this helps. E is passive.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Posts: 315

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Voters (OG VR) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2007, 13:59
GMAT TIGER wrote:
i also found this question pretty difficult but i am convinced now that only A makes sense as we need "That" to connect two clauses. "That" is missing in other choices.


We definitely need "that" after agree, but A just sounds terrible. "However much" sounds really bad for written English.

What is the source of this SC? I have found that some Kaplan SCs can be pretty nonsensical as compared to average GMAT questions.

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1790

Kudos [?]: 1089 [0], given: 5

Location: New York
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2007, 14:07
Quote:
What is the source of this SC? I have found that some Kaplan SCs can be pretty nonsensical as compared to average GMAT questions.

Source OG Verbal Review


OA -- A

Kudos [?]: 1089 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Posts: 43

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Voters (OG VR) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2007, 17:55
gluon wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
i also found this question pretty difficult but i am convinced now that only A makes sense as we need "That" to connect two clauses. "That" is missing in other choices.


We definitely need "that" after agree, but A just sounds terrible. "However much" sounds really bad for written English.

What is the source of this SC? I have found that some Kaplan SCs can be pretty nonsensical as compared to average GMAT questions.


Definitely A. "That" is needed in the sentence. And I have seen cases where 'howmuchever' is used though it sounds awkward at first pass.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2008
Posts: 351

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

However much United States voters may agree that there is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2008, 00:04
However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyong its means , it is difficult to find broad support for a movement towar a minimal state.

OA is (A)

However, i don't understand why we can use "However" here. Does it mean nevertheless?

Thank you.

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 726

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 0

Re: SC OG Question - don't understand answer explanation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2008, 00:42
judokan wrote:
However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyong its means , it is difficult to find broad support for a movement towar a minimal state.

OA is (A)

However, i don't understand why we can use "However" here. Does it mean nevertheless?

Thank you.


here 'however' is an adverb.

"however" used at the beginning of a sentence, without a comma, means “in whatever manner” or “to whatever extent.”

You shouldn't use However - whenever it means 'nevertheless' - at the beginning of any sentence.

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2008
Posts: 351

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

Re: SC OG Question - don't understand answer explanation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2008, 04:13
Thanks Alpha,

If I cannot use However - whenever it means 'nevertheless' - at the beginning of any sentence.

Why it ok to write:
I like reading. However, I am blind.
??

alpha_plus_gamma wrote:
judokan wrote:
[u]

here 'however' is an adverb.

"however" used at the beginning of a sentence, without a comma, means “in whatever manner” or “to whatever extent.”

You shouldn't use However - whenever it means 'nevertheless' - at the beginning of any sentence.

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Mar 2008
Posts: 351

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

Re: SC OG Question - don't understand answer explanation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2008, 04:19
“in whatever manner” or “to whatever extent.”

I don't quite understand the exact meaning of these. Sorry, I am not a native English speaker.

Is there any other word carry the same meaning?

Can I use even though in this question?

Thanks,

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 May 2008
Posts: 15

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: SC OG Question - don't understand answer explanation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2008, 03:38
hi alpha_plus_gamma,

explanation for however so far clear - could you please also explain when to use

despite vs. even though vs. although vs. in spite of

thanks a lot

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1339

Kudos [?]: 868 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: SC OG Question - don't understand answer explanation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2008, 13:01
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
reiswaffel wrote:
hi alpha_plus_gamma,

explanation for however so far clear - could you please also explain when to use

despite vs. even though vs. although vs. in spite of

thanks a lot


Let me try:
BUT is used to express contrast that belies normal expectation. “I took the GMAT but did not apply to
Business schools’ is an example of such contrast


ALTHOUGH is used to express POSITIVE CONTRAST given a NEGATIVE situation. “Although I
did not score well on the GMAT, I was accepted at Harvard.”


DESPITE is used to express NEGATIVE CONTRAST given a positive or beneficial situation.
“Despite the fact that he is rich, he is miserable.”

HOWEVER is used to express contrast and is used at the head of a new sentence. “I was accepted at
Harvard; however, I did not accept the offer.”


NEVERTHELESS is used as a CONJUNCTIVE ADVERB to express a contrast. “He was accepted
at Harvard but he was NEVERTHELESS unexcited.”

Kudos [?]: 868 [0], given: 10

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1339

Kudos [?]: 868 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: SC OG Question - don't understand answer explanation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2008, 13:05
judokan wrote:
However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyong its means , it is difficult to find broad support for a movement towar a minimal state.

OA is (A)

However, i don't understand why we can use "However" here. Does it mean nevertheless?

Thank you.



"However" and " nevertheless" are contrast words.
However - used at the beginning of teh sentence
Nevertheless - can within the sentence

Kudos [?]: 868 [0], given: 10

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 264

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: SC OG Question - don't understand answer explanation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2008, 16:10
goalsnr wrote:
reiswaffel wrote:
hi alpha_plus_gamma,

explanation for however so far clear - could you please also explain when to use

despite vs. even though vs. although vs. in spite of

thanks a lot


Let me try:
BUT is used to express contrast that belies normal expectation. “I took the GMAT but did not apply to
Business schools’ is an example of such contrast


ALTHOUGH is used to express POSITIVE CONTRAST given a NEGATIVE situation. “Although I
did not score well on the GMAT, I was accepted at Harvard.”


DESPITE is used to express NEGATIVE CONTRAST given a positive or beneficial situation.
“Despite the fact that he is rich, he is miserable.”

HOWEVER is used to express contrast and is used at the head of a new sentence. “I was accepted at
Harvard; however, I did not accept the offer.”


NEVERTHELESS is used as a CONJUNCTIVE ADVERB to express a contrast. “He was accepted
at Harvard but he was NEVERTHELESS unexcited.”



Neat, I didn't know... :)....tooomba chenna!! :)

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Posts: 308

Kudos [?]: 465 [1], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
However much United States voters may agree that there is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2009, 09:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
However much United States voters may agree that there is waste in government and that the government as a whole spends beyond its means, it is difficult to find broad support for a movement toward a minimal state.
A. However much United States voters may agree that
B. Despite the agreement among United States voters to the fact
C. Although United States voters agree
D. Even though United States voters may agree
E. There is agreement among United States voters that

Last edited by Harley1980 on 01 Aug 2015, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.
OA added

Kudos [?]: 465 [1], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2009
Posts: 12

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: However much United States voters may agree that there is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2009, 10:04
'D' should be the right answer.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2009
Posts: 142

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011
Re: However much United States voters may agree that there is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2009, 10:37
are you sure the OA is A? 'However much United States voters' sounds wrong to me.

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 2

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 800

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

Re: However much United States voters may agree that there is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2009, 10:40
A

this is in OG 11. "However much" sounds strange but its correct

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

9 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1512

Kudos [?]: 1052 [9], given: 1

Re: However much United States voters may agree that there is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2009, 11:36
9
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
yes, I got A as my answer. It makes perfect sense. You need "that" to connect the 2 clauses. So that eliminates all the answer choices except for A and E. The second half of the sentence starts with "it" right after a comma with no conjunction to connect the 2 clauses. You will need subordinate conjunction in the first sentence, turning the first sentence into a dependant clause. There is a rule of thumb:

1) dependant clause + , + independant clause ---> notice a comma between the clauses
2) independant clause + dependant clause ----> notice that there's no comma between the 2 clauses.

Here are some examples:

1) I like her ----> Indendent clause because the thought in this sentence is complete
2) because she is nice -----> dependent clause because not only is it not complete, but it also makes you want to anticipate what's next.

so:

a) I like her because she is nice. ----> independent clause + dependent clause
b) Because she is nice, I like her -----> dependent clause + , + independent clause

in option A, the "howevermuch" turns that first sentence into a dependent clause.

Kudos [?]: 1052 [9], given: 1

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Sep 2009
Posts: 213

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 8

Location: Tokyo, Japan
Re: However much United States voters may agree that there is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2010, 04:57
Can someone comment on the usage of "Even though" and "Although" in the beginning of the sentence? Are both considered to be correct on GMAT?

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 8

Re: However much United States voters may agree that there is   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2010, 04:57

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 41 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

However much United States voters may agree that there is

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.