It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 12:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 16

Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 19:48
There needs to be a good understanding of grammar in answering this question. Also , I do not think that choice C is an assumption. It is a fact used in the prediction.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com/regularcourse.php

Pay After Use
Standardized Approaches

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 16

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests
In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 22:03
=> profit per vehicle is same for all categories.
=> main criteria : sales
=> most profitable (CC, MV, SUV) Coming year => which means sales LY (CC, MV, SUV)

assumption:-
1. Coming year ~ last year

Tecumseh’s marketing analysts’ prediction relies on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) Across all manufacturers, the most popular cars on the road in America are compact cars, minivans, and SUVs.

(C) Last year, no other category of Tecumseh’s vehicles generated more profits than SUVs and less than minivans.

(E) The number of models of compacts cars that Tecumseh produces is greater than the number of models of either minivans or SUVs.

why can't it be E? We know that Profitability here depends upon sales (as we are neutralizing profit per vehicle).
if The number of models of compacts cars that Tecumseh produces is less than the number of models of either minivans or SUV, then sales of Compact cars can't be higher. because if you don't have sufficient numbers of cars to sell, then how would you have sales???

mikemcgarry sayantanc2k

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8424 [0], given: 102

Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 16:15
abrakadabra21 wrote:
=> profit per vehicle is same for all categories.
=> main criteria : sales
=> most profitable (CC, MV, SUV) Coming year => which means sales LY (CC, MV, SUV)

assumption:-
1. Coming year ~ last year

Tecumseh’s marketing analysts’ prediction relies on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) Across all manufacturers, the most popular cars on the road in America are compact cars, minivans, and SUVs.

(C) Last year, no other category of Tecumseh’s vehicles generated more profits than SUVs and less than minivans.

(E) The number of models of compacts cars that Tecumseh produces is greater than the number of models of either minivans or SUVs.

why can't it be E? We know that Profitability here depends upon sales (as we are neutralizing profit per vehicle).
if The number of models of compacts cars that Tecumseh produces is less than the number of models of either minivans or SUV, then sales of Compact cars can't be higher. because if you don't have sufficient numbers of cars to sell, then how would you have sales???

Dear abrakadabra21,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I will point out a slight misreading on your part. You thought the argument said: "profit per vehicle is same for all categories."

What the argument actually said was: "Tecumseh sets prices so that the profit per vehicle is, on average, about the same." There's some wiggle room there. What does this mean?

Let's say that profit per car for each compact car is $1005. Let's say that profit per vehicle for each minivan is $995--about the same, within about 1% of each other. Suppose they sell 1000 compact cars, for a profit of $1,005,000. Suppose they sell 1001 minivans, for a profit of $995,995. They sold more minivans but the most profit was associated with compact cars. Admittedly, this is a slightly contrived example, but it is possible for the number of minivans sold to be equal or a few greater than the number of compact cars sold, and still have compact cars have the most profit. As the total number of cars becomes large, even small wiggle-rooms differences become large, and of course, we have no information about the scale of the operation here. Does Tecumseh Autos sell \(10^3\) cars, \(10^6\) cars, or \(10^9\) cars each year? We have no way of knowing, so if the result changes with scale, it's not reliable.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2017, 02:41
mikemcgarry wrote:
modarresansharif wrote:
Hi
i believe the question is wrong
option c says suv was the most profitable category and minivan the least profitable one which is based on last year sale.
the prediction is best on last year sale.
but the stimulus claims that the compact car is gonna make more profit than minivan and the third category will be suv.
thus the fourth and fifth categories will be other catergories, which will be less profitable

Dear modarresansharif,

My friend, I don't believe you were reading (C) carefully enough. Think about it:
(C) Last year, no other [single individual] category of Tecumseh’s vehicles generated more profits than SUVs AND less than minivans.
It's very important to recognize the word "category" is singular, and it is very important to recognize the significance of an "and" rather than an "or." Of course it's true, as you say, that every other category has profits that are either greater than SUVs or less than minivans. That's absolutely true, but that's not what (C) is saying.

If we read (C) carefully, it is saying that no single individual category has a profit that is simultaneously both greater than SUVs and less than minivans. In other words, there is no category that ranks between those two in terms of profit. This is absolutely true, because SUV are #2 and minivans are #3.

Now, my friend, I want to consider how you addressed this question. Your opening comment was "I believe the question is wrong." This could be construed as disrespectful. Think about the following scenario. Suppose, after you get your MBA, you are hired at some job. Suppose you observe something associated with the company that looks like an error to you. If you go into your boss's office and begin by saying "I believe this is wrong," and then it turns out, as with this question, you misinterpreted something, think about the opinion this boss will have of you. Nobody else likes to be told "You are wrong," and if someone say this and then it turns out to have no basis, it is as if that person insulted someone for no reason. If someone does this, other people's respect or that person will tend to drop off quickly.

Hi Mike,

Going through your comments on why C should be the answer. Isn't C an inference and not an assumption? What C says is something that can already be inferred from the information provided above.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2017, 12:03
nayyarsidharth wrote:
Hi Mike,

Going through your comments on why C should be the answer. Isn't C an inference and not an assumption? What C says is something that can already be inferred from the information provided above.

Dear nayyarsidharth,

As assumption is such a central part of argument that it can take on several roles. It certainly can be a strengthener, and it's negation can be a weakener.

Now the question of "must be true" or "inference" is subtle.

The last sentence of the argument, the conclusion, is:
Tecumseh’s marketing analysts’ prediction of the three most profitable categories of vehicles in the coming year will be compact cars, minivans, and SUVs respectively.
Notice that this is a prediction. Is this true? Do we know that this is true? In a CR argument, we have to assume that the evidence is true, but not necessarily the conclusions, especially if the conclusions are predictions.

When the CR question is an assumption question, a strengthen question, or a weaken question, the implicit structure of the question assumes that the conclusion is not guaranteed, and our job is to find what would guarantee (or devastate) this uncertain conclusion. Because we don't know whether that prediction at the end is true, and want to find an assumption that would strengthen it in some way, (C) works, although admittedly, it has an unusual structure for an assumption, insofar as it shores up only one narrow part of the conclusion.

In a "must be true" or "inference" question, the caveat is stated "assuming that the above states are true . . . " If this were the case, then we would know that the prediction in the final line is true--we could assume that as true. Then (C) also would also work, but the direction of logic would be different in those kinds of questions: rather than use (C) to support an uncertain conclusion, we would be using a certain conclusion to deduce (C).

It's extremely important to appreciate how the nature of the prompt question shapes the way we are to understand the prompt argument and its conclusion. A lot of the confusion on this thread about "is it an assumption or an inference/prediction/must be true?" comes from not appreciating the subtle shifts in logic caused by different prompt questions.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 16:41
this question is easy b/c of 2 things
first, profits => C
secondly, 3 top = no others => C

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 859

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 53

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 00:20
(C) Last year, no other category of Tecumseh???s vehicles generated more profits than SUVs and less than minivans.

If I negate this,

and let say ONE SEGMENT (COMPACT CARS segment) generated more profits than SUVs and less than minivans that is:
profits from sale of MINI VANS > profits from sale of COMPACT CARS > profits from sale of SUV

conclusion is still valid. Please help me to resolve this confusion. It took me a lot of time but still unable to solve.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 53

Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2017, 00:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap