It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 19:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4571

Kudos [?]: 9004 [6], given: 113

In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2016, 15:22
6
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
25
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

29% (01:47) correct 71% (02:10) wrong based on 1302 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto manufacturer, is anticipating sales of its vehicles. Tecumseh manufactures compact cars, sedans, minivans, trucks, SUVs, and sports cars. In all categories of vehicles, Tecumseh sets prices so that the profit per vehicle is, on average, about the same. Since the best indicator for sales in each category are the sales last year, Tecumseh’s marketing analysts’ prediction of the three most profitable categories of vehicles in the coming year will be compact cars, minivans, and SUVs respectively.

Tecumseh’s marketing analysts’ prediction relies on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) Across all manufacturers, the most popular cars on the road in America are compact cars, minivans, and SUVs.

(B) The models of Tecumseh’s compact cars to be sold in the upcoming year are identical to or similar to those of last year.

(C) Last year, no other category of Tecumseh’s vehicles generated more profits than SUVs and less than minivans.

(D) The prediction will be refined after an analysis of the sales in the first quarter of this year.

(E) The number of models of compacts cars that Tecumseh produces is greater than the number of models of either minivans or SUVs.



Assumption questions are among the most common questions on the GMAT CR. For a discussion of them, with three other practice questions, as well as the OE of this particular question, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2016/gmat-criti ... questions/

Mike :-)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 9004 [6], given: 113

Magoosh Discount CodesJamboree Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jan 2015
Posts: 91

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 654

Location: Thailand
GMAT 1: 540 Q41 V23
GMAT 2: 570 Q44 V24
GMAT 3: 550 Q44 V21
GMAT 4: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.31
WE: Science (Other)
In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2016, 23:39
Hi Mike,

It may be not related to this topic but I'd like to know the difficulty level of other 3 questions on your website.

I got question 3 and 4 wrong :(

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 654

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4571

Kudos [?]: 9004 [0], given: 113

Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2016, 09:44
Aves wrote:
Hi Mike,

It may be not related to this topic but I'd like to know the difficulty level of other 3 questions on your website.

I got question 3 and 4 wrong :(

Dear Aves,
I'm happy to respond. :-) In general, when I publish a batch of 3-4 questions, I arrange them from ones I think are easier to ones I think are harder. I did think that questions #3 and #4 are reasonably difficult questions.

I believe inherent in your question is a myth that each question has a scientifically discernible difficulty level, and that understanding this inherent difficult is part and parcel of writing a question. To be perfectly honest, I am not a particularly good person to ask about a question I wrote, because I understand any question I write inside-out, and this perspective makes it hard to judge the difficulty for someone approaching the question from scratch. Also, I believe there is something highly questionable about the idea of assigning individual questions specific point values in terms of difficulty. See this blog article
Is this a 700+ level GMAT question?

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 9004 [0], given: 113

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2016
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2016, 23:11
Hi
i believe the question is wrong
option c says suv was the most profitable category and minivan the least profitable one which is based on last year sale.
the prediction is best on last year sale.
but the stimulus claims that the compact car is gonna make more profit than minivan and the third category will be suv.
thus the fourth and fifth categories will be other catergories, which will be less profitable

Last edited by modarresansharif on 24 Nov 2016, 03:22, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
17 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4571

Kudos [?]: 9004 [17], given: 113

In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2016, 12:13
17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
modarresansharif wrote:
Hi
i believe the question is wrong
option c says suv was the most profitable category and minivan the least profitable one which is based on last year sale.
the prediction is best on last year sale.
but the stimulus claims that the compact car is gonna make more profit than minivan and the third category will be suv.
thus the fourth and fifth categories will be other catergories, which will be less profitable

Dear modarresansharif,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I don't believe you were reading (C) carefully enough. Think about it:
(C) Last year, no other [single individual] category of Tecumseh’s vehicles generated more profits than SUVs AND less than minivans.
It's very important to recognize the word "category" is singular, and it is very important to recognize the significance of an "and" rather than an "or." Of course it's true, as you say, that every other category has profits that are either greater than SUVs or less than minivans. That's absolutely true, but that's not what (C) is saying.

If we read (C) carefully, it is saying that no single individual category has a profit that is simultaneously both greater than SUVs and less than minivans. In other words, there is no category that ranks between those two in terms of profit. This is absolutely true, because SUV are #2 and minivans are #3.

Now, my friend, I want to consider how you addressed this question. Your opening comment was "I believe the question is wrong." This could be construed as disrespectful. Think about the following scenario. Suppose, after you get your MBA, you are hired at some job. Suppose you observe something associated with the company that looks like an error to you. If you go into your boss's office and begin by saying "I believe this is wrong," and then it turns out, as with this question, you misinterpreted something, think about the opinion this boss will have of you. Nobody else likes to be told "You are wrong," and if someone say this and then it turns out to have no basis, it is as if that person insulted someone for no reason. If someone does this, other people's respect or that person will tend to drop off quickly.

You see, traditional religious and ethic systems say that humility is a virtue precisely because humility is an extraordinarily powerful strength that can help you in an astonishing number of ways in life. The humble person who says, "Perhaps it is due to my mistake, but this doesn't make sense to me" is in a win-win scenario. If the matter in question is really correct, this humble attitude makes someone else more apt to explain it and clarify the matter. If the matter is really wrong, the humble person gets all the credit for pointing out the mistake as well as the personal respect for doing so humbly. There are few personality traits that will open more doors or impress more people than will genuine humility.

Furthermore, just in terms of pure pedagogy, your mind is more primed to learn when you are in genuine questioning mode. To the extent that you adopt the "this is wrong" mindset, you shut down curiosity and openness to new perspectives. Curiosity and openness to learning are also powerful skills that should not be underestimated: they also have the potential to assist you powerful in a number of venues in your life, including in GMAT preparation. They are definitely the best mindsets to cultivate if you want to learn the most.

My friend, does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 9004 [17], given: 113

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 16 Jul 2015
Posts: 17

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 31

Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2016, 22:25
mikemcgarry wrote:
In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto manufacturer, is anticipating sales of its vehicles. Tecumseh manufactures compact cars, sedans, minivans, trucks, SUVs, and sports cars. In all categories of vehicles, Tecumseh sets prices so that the profit per vehicle is, on average, about the same. Since the best indicator for sales in each category are the sales last year, Tecumseh’s marketing analysts’ prediction of the three most profitable categories of vehicles in the coming year will be compact cars, minivans, and SUVs respectively.

Tecumseh’s marketing analysts’ prediction relies on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) Across all manufacturers, the most popular cars on the road in America are compact cars, minivans, and SUVs.

(B) The models of Tecumseh’s compact cars to be sold in the upcoming year are identical to or similar to those of last year.

(C) Last year, no other category of Tecumseh’s vehicles generated more profits than SUVs and less than minivans.

(D) The prediction will be refined after an analysis of the sales in the first quarter of this year.

(E) The number of models of compacts cars that Tecumseh produces is greater than the number of models of either minivans or SUVs.



Assumption questions are among the most common questions on the GMAT CR. For a discussion of them, with three other practice questions, as well as the OE of this particular question, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2016/gmat-criti ... questions/

Mike :-)


Hi mikemcgarry

I dont think I really understand the rationale of selecting Option C. Can you please elaborate why Option C is the best choice and what is wrong with Option A. Frankly speaking, I thought all the 4 options to be irrelevant. :)

Question seemed to be very tough!!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 31

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4571

Kudos [?]: 9004 [3], given: 113

Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2016, 12:18
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
andy2502 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry

I dont think I really understand the rationale of selecting Option C. Can you please elaborate why Option C is the best choice and what is wrong with Option A. Frankly speaking, I thought all the 4 options to be irrelevant. :)

Question seemed to be very tough!!

Dear andy2502,

I'm happy to respond. :-) Yes, this is a tough question.

My friend, here's what I am going to say. You are on GMAT Club to learn. Well, the process of learning, the process of education is not something that the experts "do" to you. Instead, it's something you do by yourself and for yourself, and experts such as myself simply support you in the process. One of the most valuable qualities a student can have is initiative. if you can clearly demonstrate initiative, this will set you apart in your applications for B school, in your job applications, and with respect to opportunities for promotion in your career. The people who always want to be told what to do don't advance very far in their careers. The people who are confidently self-sufficient and able to explore the unknown on their own are the ones who can perform well as leaders.

Rather than simply hand you an answer, because I am ambitious for you, I am going to ask you to take initiative. Look at at the link at the top post of the page: that post, in which the original problem appears, contains the OE. Also, look at my response to modarresansharif yesterday, in which I explain (C) in detail. Find out everything you can about the question first, then come back and, referring to all these sources, ask your question.

You see, most students will not achieve elite scores on the GMAT unless they commit themselves to the habits of excellence. One such habit is that of asking excellent questions. See:
Asking Excellent Questions
To support your own learning, I am going to challenge you to write the most excellent detailed question you can about this question.

My friend, I truly wish you the very best in your studies.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 9004 [3], given: 113

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Jul 2010
Posts: 31

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 33

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2016, 20:20
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mikemcgarry wrote:
In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto manufacturer, is anticipating sales of its vehicles. Tecumseh manufactures compact cars, sedans, minivans, trucks, SUVs, and sports cars. In all categories of vehicles, Tecumseh sets prices so that the profit per vehicle is, on average, about the same. Since the best indicator for sales in each category are the sales last year, Tecumseh’s marketing analysts’ prediction of the three most profitable categories of vehicles in the coming year will be compact cars, minivans, and SUVs respectively.

Tecumseh’s marketing analysts’ prediction relies on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) Across all manufacturers, the most popular cars on the road in America are compact cars, minivans, and SUVs.

(B) The models of Tecumseh’s compact cars to be sold in the upcoming year are identical to or similar to those of last year.

(C) Last year, no other category of Tecumseh’s vehicles generated more profits than SUVs and less than minivans.

(D) The prediction will be refined after an analysis of the sales in the first quarter of this year.

(E) The number of models of compacts cars that Tecumseh produces is greater than the number of models of either minivans or SUVs.



Assumption questions are among the most common questions on the GMAT CR. For a discussion of them, with three other practice questions, as well as the OE of this particular question, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2016/gmat-criti ... questions/

Mike :-)


Hi Mike,

I am not really convincing with the option C and end up choosing option A. Here is my rationale:

Premise:
1. Tecumseh Autos anticipate sales of next year.
2. Tecumseh Autos manufacture 5 types of autos: Compact cars (A), sedans (B), minivans (C), trucks (D), SUVs (E), and sports cars (F)
3. Tecumseh Autos set price so that profit of A, B, C, D, E and F, on average, is the same (lets say, x)
4. New year forecast based on sales in previous year.

Conclusion:
Three most profitable ones will be A, C and E

Underlying assumption:
Since:
(1). Profit per car is expected to be the same in the upcoming year, and.
(2). Sales forecasts are based on previous years' actual level.

Then,
Sales of A, C and E in next year > Sales of the other two
Or, Sales of A, C and E in previous year > Sales of the other two, which is mentioned in option A

For option C, as the profit per car is the same in next year, last year profit factor is irrelevant, in my opinion, to determine future profitability.

Thanks,

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 33

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Jul 2010
Posts: 31

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 33

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2016, 20:27
Ah, I see where I went wrong.

It's the policy of the company to set price to make the same average profit per car across models, not new initiative in next year.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 33

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 788

Kudos [?]: 22 [1], given: 275

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2016, 05:34
1
This post received
KUDOS
Premise: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto manufacturer, is anticipating sales of its vehicles.
Premise: Tecumseh manufactures compact cars, sedans, minivans, trucks, SUVs, and sports cars.
Premise: In all categories of vehicles, Tecumseh sets prices so that the profit per vehicle is, on average, about the same.
Premise: Since the best indicator for sales in each category are the sales last year,
Conclusion: Tecumseh’s marketing analysts’ prediction of the three most profitable categories of vehicles in the coming year will be compact cars, minivans, and SUVs respectively.

So the company is expecting the sales of its vehicles to rise in the coming year and 3 categories would be Most profitable.
Profit on compact cars, minivans, and SUVs would on average be same.
The underlying assumptions can be:
1) Buyers of these 3 models are comparatively more than for other categories
2) Last year sales of these 3 models was more than other categories
3) As profit on average is same per vehicle, there would be more buyers to make these categories MOST profitable
Let’s look at the choices:
(A) Across all manufacturers, the most popular cars on the road in America are compact cars, minivans, and SUVs.
All manufacturers is out of scope.

(B) The models of Tecumseh’s compact cars to be sold in the upcoming year are identical to or similar to those of last year.
OUT OF SCOPE. Models do not matter because in the argument, its nowhere mentioned that if model changes the sales would increase or the buyers look for models…..

(C) Last year, no other category of Tecumseh’s vehicles generated more profits than SUVs and less than minivans.
This is the CORRECT choice.
Negated statement: Last year, other category of Tecumseh’s vehicles generated more profits than SUVs and less than minivans.
This completely shatters our conclusion because if there is other vehicle that would give more profits than SUV (mentioned in the 3 models), then the profits would be impacted.
We just know that ‘on average’ the profit is same but the profit is not EXACTLY same……

(D) The prediction will be refined after an analysis of the sales in the first quarter of this year.
Irrelevant

(E) The number of models of compacts cars that Tecumseh produces is greater than the number of models of either minivans or SUVs.
Again we are more concerned with the sales and not the production data.

I hope this understanding is correct…….
_________________

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Kudos [?]: 22 [1], given: 275

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3227

Kudos [?]: 3652 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2016, 11:04
The OA is correct and explanations provided in the thread appear sufficient. If there are any specific questions, please post them here and then click again on the "Request Expert Reply" button.

Kudos [?]: 3652 [0], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 26 Aug 2016
Posts: 475

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 53

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 05:06
This question looks more like must be true question- if it is so it will be sub 500 level question . :D because it is assumption and presuming this is hard. and moreover, People tend to presume that factors affecting the sales should be same last year and this year. We usually tend to favor 2nd option - but this is only a partial assumption. :) .

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 53

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Status: Countdown Begins...
Joined: 03 Jul 2016
Posts: 302

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 74

Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 21:37
mikemcgarry wrote:
In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto manufacturer, is anticipating sales of its vehicles. Tecumseh manufactures compact cars, sedans, minivans, trucks, SUVs, and sports cars. In all categories of vehicles, Tecumseh sets prices so that the profit per vehicle is, on average, about the same. Since the best indicator for sales in each category are the sales last year, Tecumseh’s marketing analysts’ prediction of the three most profitable categories of vehicles in the coming year will be compact cars, minivans, and SUVs respectively.

Tecumseh’s marketing analysts’ prediction relies on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) Across all manufacturers, the most popular cars on the road in America are compact cars, minivans, and SUVs.

(B) The models of Tecumseh’s compact cars to be sold in the upcoming year are identical to or similar to those of last year.

(C) Last year, no other category of Tecumseh’s vehicles generated more profits than SUVs and less than minivans.

(D) The prediction will be refined after an analysis of the sales in the first quarter of this year.

(E) The number of models of compacts cars that Tecumseh produces is greater than the number of models of either minivans or SUVs.



Assumption questions are among the most common questions on the GMAT CR. For a discussion of them, with three other practice questions, as well as the OE of this particular question, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2016/gmat-criti ... questions/

Mike :-)


Hi mikemcgarry, I read all of your posts above but still I have following doubt.

I was intended towards option C, but at last I selected A. Option C only talks about SUV's and Minivan's and not about Compact cars. Last year, if the sales of compact cars are less than that of SUV's and Minivan's then I think the conclusion may is not likely to be true.

Please clear this understanding if it is wrong..
_________________

Need Kudos to unlock GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 74

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 18:20
Dear Mr McGarry

May I kindly clarify a point: In option C, does the word "profits" necessarily imply in the second part of the sentence i.e. less than minivans?

I did not pick this answer choice as it seem to indicate anything can be 'less than minivans'. Maybe I am just reading too much into this.

I will be grateful for your guidance.

Best wishes,
Hamant

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4571

Kudos [?]: 9004 [0], given: 113

Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 13:12
RMD007 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry, I read all of your posts above but still I have following doubt.

I was intended towards option C, but at last I selected A. Option C only talks about SUV's and Minivan's and not about Compact cars. Last year, if the sales of compact cars are less than that of SUV's and Minivan's then I think the conclusion may is not likely to be true.

Please clear this understanding if it is wrong..

Dear RMD007,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Just because (C) only mentioned two of the three cars is not, in and of itself, a reason to reject it. Yes, if compact cars were even lower than SUVs and minivans, that would be another issue, but the problem does not ask us to consider that issue. Choice (A) is not correct because it is too far-reaching, concerning all manufacturers in the market. Choice (A) is vaguely suggestive but not strictly relevant to the prompt argument. Did you read the explanation for this particular question? Look specifically at that, at the blog linked above, and let me know if you have questions about it.
hmaini wrote:
Dear Mr McGarry

May I kindly clarify a point: In option C, does the word "profits" necessarily imply in the second part of the sentence i.e. less than minivans?

I did not pick this answer choice as it seem to indicate anything can be 'less than minivans'. Maybe I am just reading too much into this.

I will be grateful for your guidance.

Best wishes,
Hamant

Dear hmaini

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, choice (C) is 100% grammatically correct, and this is a point of grammar that can be particularly hard for non-native speakers to appreciate. See this blog article:
Dropping Common Words in Parallel on the GMAT

Let me know if you have any questions about that blog article.

Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 9004 [0], given: 113

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 28 Jan 2017
Posts: 62

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 40

In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2017, 22:15
mikemcgarry wrote:
In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto manufacturer, is anticipating sales of its vehicles. Tecumseh manufactures compact cars, sedans, minivans, trucks, SUVs, and sports cars. In all categories of vehicles, Tecumseh sets prices so that the profit per vehicle is, on average, about the same. Since the best indicator for sales in each category are the sales last year, Tecumseh’s marketing analysts’ prediction of the three most profitable categories of vehicles in the coming year will be compact cars, minivans, and SUVs respectively.

Tecumseh’s marketing analysts’ prediction relies on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) Across all manufacturers, the most popular cars on the road in America are compact cars, minivans, and SUVs.

(B) The models of Tecumseh’s compact cars to be sold in the upcoming year are identical to or similar to those of last year.

(C) Last year, no other category of Tecumseh’s vehicles generated more profits than SUVs and less than minivans.

(D) The prediction will be refined after an analysis of the sales in the first quarter of this year.

(E) The number of models of compacts cars that Tecumseh produces is greater than the number of models of either minivans or SUVs.



Assumption questions are among the most common questions on the GMAT CR. For a discussion of them, with three other practice questions, as well as the OE of this particular question, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2016/gmat-criti ... questions/

Mike :-)


To me it seems more like a "must be true" question than an "assumption" question. Or I am not able to understand the question at all.

I choose "B" for this "assumption" question.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 40

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4571

Kudos [?]: 9004 [0], given: 113

Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 14:01
ravi11 wrote:
To me it seems more like a "must be true" question than an "assumption" question. Or I am not able to understand the question at all.

I choose "B" for this "assumption" question.

Dear ravi11,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, do you really think there is a huge difference between assumption questions and "must be true" questions? Remember that, on the GMAT CR, a statement can be an assumption only if it must be true for the argument to work. Both assumptions and inference questions involve finding statements that must be true. It's true, this question here also might have been framed as an inference question, but it works perfectly well as an assumption question.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 9004 [0], given: 113

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 03 May 2017
Posts: 113

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 14

GMAT ToolKit User
In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2017, 16:45
This is a challenging question, however, the trick lies in the fact that all the other options barring C are insufficient assumptions. C is actually an indirect assumption, in that it skirted the conclusion by focusing on the excluded subset (SUV and minivan) and the equality of profit, but it is a valid one no less.
Again, this question is indicative of the uncanny similarity between Assumption CRs and DS questions.

Thanks for the question.

Best,

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2017
Posts: 10

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 10:28
Isnt this more of an inference type as opposed to an assumption type of question? How does this assumption (C) bridge the premise to the conclusion?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4571

Kudos [?]: 9004 [0], given: 113

Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 13:31
allenmartin1986 wrote:
Isnt this more of an inference type as opposed to an assumption type of question? How does this assumption (C) bridge the premise to the conclusion?

Dear allenmartin1986,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

There's not necessarily the sharpest distinction between an assumption and an inference. If the passage is suppose to be taken as completely true, then (C) would be an inference. As it is, the argument is simply presented as an uncertain thing, needing logical bolstering, and (C) provides support for it as an assumption would.

Here, (C) doesn't necessarily "bridge," but it quite successfully passes the Negation Test. This later is a more widely applicable indication of an assumption.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 9004 [0], given: 113

Re: In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2017, 13:31

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 27 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

In anticipation of the coming year, Tecumseh Autos, a national auto ma

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.