Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Humanitiesx   Short Passagex                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [2]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 177
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
Re: Human beings, born with a drive to explore and experiment, thrive on l [#permalink]
5 minutes. All correct. Easy passage!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: IIMA PGPX'22
GPA: 4
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Human beings, born with a drive to explore and experiment, thrive on l [#permalink]
Hi,
[For those who prefer taking notes/summaries]
Below is what the author is trying to convey across in the paras:

P1- Importance of learning in superiod performances
P2- How organization should become learning organizations

Try to deconstruct the argument as above and do not write factfactfact

mk96
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 743 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I discuss the Main Idea question for this passage starting at the 4:40 mark here:

Hope it helps! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
RaviChandra wrote:
[align=justify]Human beings, born with a drive to explore and experiment, thrive on learning. Unfortunately, corporations are oriented predominantly toward controlling employees, not fostering their learning. Ironically, this orientation creates the very conditions that predestine employees to mediocre performances. Over time, superior performance requires superior learning, because long-term corporate survival depends on continually exploring new business and organizational opportunities that can create new sources of growth.

To survive in the future, corporations must become “learning organizations,” enterprises that are constantly able to adapt and expand their capabilities. To accomplish this, corporations must change how they view employees. The traditional view that a single charismatic leader should set the corporation’s direction and make key decisions is rooted in an individualistic worldview. In an increasingly interdependent world, such a view is no longer viable. In learning organizations, thinking and acting are integrated at all job levels. Corporate leadership is shared, and leaders become designers, teachers, and stewards, roles requiring new skills: the ability to build shared vision, to reveal and challenge prevailing mental models, and to foster broader, more integrated patterns of thinking. In short, leaders in learning organizations are responsible for building organizations in which employees are continually learning new skills and expanding their capabilities to shape their future.

I start by taking notes on the reading and at the end I identify the main idea from the notes.

[*] Current business model focuses on control, but it's not adequate
[*] Another business model that focuses on learning, and democratic management
[*] Leaders of the future need to encourage learning and adaptability
[*] Main Idea: Criticize a traditional business model and introduce another business model.

Question 1 wants to find the option that a traditional corporate leader believe.

A, B, D, and E are something the learning model would encourage. Incorrect.

C is correct and a direct reference to the reading is "a single charismatic leader should set the corporation’s direction and make key decisions", and " corporations are oriented predominantly toward controlling employees".

Question 2 wants us to find the option that is encouraged within learning organizations.

A, B, C, and D all revolve around the traditional organization by following, or obeying the corporate order.

E is correct because it's allows a person to work independent from the corporate organization.

Question 3 requests that we identify what a corporate leader would do in an learning organization.

A is tempting, so we'll hold on to this one.

B is what a leader in a traditional model would do.

C still adheres to an individual mindset of the traditional model.

E enforces the traditional corporate structure.

D is the most correct, since it allows employees to be independent. Let's rule out A, it is still an order to follow the corporate leader, so that is out.

Question 4 wants to main idea, and/or purpose.

A is incorrect since the focus is the new learning model.

B is wrong since there is no criticize of the learning model.

C is out. There is no mention of a reconcile between the traditional and learning model in the reading.

D is not contrasting since there is not an equal weight placed on traditional and learning models.

E is correct, we see an alternative to the traditional model after giving criticize to the traditional model.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Hi experts,

For question "which of the following best describes employee behavior encouraged within learning organizations..."?

I just want to make sure that I accurately found the support to undermine Choice C.
--> "challenge prevailing mental models"

In the traditional corporate structure, people focus on specific tasks. However, in learning organizations, people can work on various different things.

Is this the exact support that you would use to disprove this answer choice?
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
Hi experts,

For question "which of the following best describes employee behavior encouraged within learning organizations..."?

I just want to make sure that I accurately found the support to undermine Choice C.
--> "challenge prevailing mental models"

In the traditional corporate structure, people focus on specific tasks. However, in learning organizations, people can work on various different things.

Is this the exact support that you would use to disprove this answer choice?

I would say it's more directly and forcefully contradicted by the last sentence, which specifically talks about the function of employees in these organizations:
employees are continually learning new skills and expanding their capabilities to shape their future

Staying focused on one micro-aspect of one larger activity is the exact opposite of "continually learning new skills".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 256
Send PM
is there any option to find the correct answers?
it seems that the answers in the question are different and answers posted by people are different.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts