Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Schools: IESE '24 LBS '22
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: I comforted the lost boy, whom was shivering and cold, before the auth [#permalink]
why is it whom and not who
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: I comforted the lost boy, whom was shivering and cold, before the auth [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I agree with what kiranaimhigh has written above. That is an error in the Grammar Guide, one among a few I have caught while covering the material with a client. It would not make sense in the sentence at hand to say, him was shivering and cold; thus, the pronoun should be who instead. There are a few situations in which the simple trick referenced above is not quite so simple, and this occurs when speakers of English more commonly use the grammatically incorrect pronoun to begin with, as in the following dialogue:

Question: Who took the cookie from the cookie jar?
Answer: It was him. (Incorrect, since the full response would read, It was he who took the cookie...)
Response: Whom? (Incorrect, since him should have been he in the answer above.)

To be clear, I am not bashing the GMAT Club Grammar Guide, but as with many guidebooks, it does have a few issues. If and when you run into anything you do not understand, just bring up the reference in the forum.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
SanjaySrini wrote:
I comforted the lost boy, whom was shivering and cold, before the authorities arrived.

Can someone explain why it is "whom" instead of "who".

Hi Sanjay, in the relative clause whom/who was shivering and cold, clearly whom/who is the subject of this clause.

Hence we need to use the subject pronoun who (remember whom is an object pronoun).

So, the correct sentence is:

I comforted the lost boy, who was shivering and cold, before the authorities arrived.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
SanjaySrini wrote:
why is it whom and not who

Hi Sanjay

The question of whether to use "who" or "whom" can be confusing. There is a simple rule that you can use to make the decision. But before that, let us understand a simple classification of pronouns.

Pronouns can act as the subject ie; protagonist/doer in a sentence. For eg: he, she, they, I, you etc.

eg: She gave John some money.

Pronouns can also act as the object ie; receiver of the action in a sentence. For eg: him, her, them, me, you etc.

eg: Tracy gave him some money.

Please note that "you" can act as both a subject pronoun and an object pronoun - you will have to decide which is the case by examining the sentence in question.

Now, to decide whether the appropriate usage is "who" or "whom", answer the question being asked in the sentence. If the answer is a subject pronoun, the correct usage would be "who". If the answer is an object pronoun, the correct usage would be "whom". Let us consider an example.

_________ wrote the book?

The answer to the above question would be "He/She wrote the book", never "Him/Her wrote the book". "He/She" are subject pronouns. Therefore, the correct way to frame the original question would be "Who wrote the book?".

__________ did Jason give the book to yesterday?

The answer to the above question would be "Jason gave the book to him/her", never "Jason gave the book to he/she". "Him/Her" are object pronouns. Therefore, the correct way to frame the original question would be "Whom did Jason give the book to yesterday?".

Hope this helps.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts