Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: I failed the gmat 470(44Q,17V)!!! [#permalink]
Hi,

Thank you for your replay :)

For goals,
1) 600-650
2)the deadline is on may 1st
3)university of Michigan-Flint

For CATs:
The prep tests were a lot easier than the actual exam especially the quant part, but verbal was similar
1)yes i did the entire tests,i wanted to practice my writing skills within limited time.
2) i took the exam at home
3) i took them during a period of two weeks before the exam
4)i only took breaks never skipped but ended up guessing five questions as i'm always unable to finish on time
5)i took 5 prep test, 2 Manhattan CAT
The ideas on the prep tests were somehow similar.

I hope you could help me :(
Im really depressed what did i do wrong ? :(

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jiana90,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as hoped. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your goals and how you took your practice CATs:

Goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi,

Thank you for your replay :)

For goals,
1) 600-650
2)the deadline is on may 1st
3)university of Michigan-Flint

For CATs:
The prep tests were a lot easier than the actual exam especially the quant part, but verbal was similar
1)yes i did the entire tests,i wanted to practice my writing skills within limited time.
2) i took the exam at home
3) i took them during a period of two weeks before the exam
4)i only took breaks never skipped but ended up guessing five questions as i'm always unable to finish on time
5)i took 5 prep test, 2 Manhattan CAT
The ideas on the prep tests were somehow similar.

I hope you could help me :(
Im really depressed what did i do wrong ? :(

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jiana90,

The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week. By taking seven CATs in the two weeks right before your Official GMAT, there's a reasonable chance that you experienced some 'burn out' on Test Day - and that would help to explain why your score dropped so much in the Verbal section (since that's the last 75 minutes of the Test, when you would have been your most tired). In addition, by taking the CATs at home did, you did not properly prepare for what you were going to experience on Test Day (leaving your home, taking the Test in a strange environment with potential distractions, etc.). As such, regardless of how you choose to proceed, you will have to change your 'routine' for taking your CATs.

Thankfully, you still have plenty of time before the application deadline you've listed to continue to study and improve. However, to raise this 470 to a 600+, you will likely need to use all of that time - and do so in an efficient fashion - to hit that score. With a V17, you would have lost significant points in all 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR). You would likely find it really beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi jiana90,

The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week. By taking seven CATs in the two weeks right before your Official GMAT, there's a reasonable chance that you experienced some 'burn out' on Test Day - and that would help to explain why your score dropped so much in the Verbal section (since that's the last 75 minutes of the Test, when you would have been your most tired). In addition, by taking the CATs at home did, you did not properly prepare for what you were going to experience on Test Day (leaving your home, taking the Test in a strange environment with potential distractions, etc.). As such, regardless of how you choose to proceed, you will have to change your 'routine' for taking your CATs.

Thankfully, you still have plenty of time before the application deadline you've listed to continue to study and improve. However, to raise this 470 to a 600+, you will likely need to use all of that time - and do so in an efficient fashion - to hit that score. With a V17, you would have lost significant points in all 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR). You would likely find it really beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

Rich

Thank you so much for your advice.
Any recommendation on where find good gmat english instructor?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi jiana90,

From your posts, I think that your English "skills" are fine - so I don't think that you need an English instructor to improve your GMAT score. You probably DO need to learn more about the Verbal section of the GMAT - the content & question types, Tactics, patterns, common wrong answer types, etc. so that you can hone your Verbal skills and earn a higher score.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 560 Q34 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q36 V40
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Heh Jiana90,
I am also a non-native english speaker. I took the GMAT three times, my first time was last october I canceled the score and it wasn't so different than yours. Look at my results afterwards. I don't think I'll win the next Pulitzer prize for journalism but I finally somehow did it! Don't lose hope, keep exercising and you'll do it! :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
akra wrote:
Heh Jiana90,
I am also a non-native english speaker. I took the GMAT three times, my first time was last october I canceled the score and it wasn't so different than yours. Look at my results afterwards. I don't think I'll win the next Pulitzer prize for journalism but I finally somehow did it! Don't lose hope, keep exercising and you'll do it! :-)

Hey Akra!
Thanks for your reply.
I cant see your score anywhere hehehe
However, I'm planning to take a break before i would dig deep.
Can you pleaaaase tell me how did you improve your verbal skills?
Thanks alot!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 560 Q34 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q36 V40
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Hey,
I thought you could read my scores below my name. Anyway, I finally scored 630 (Q 36 V 40). I followed Manhattan prep books strategy, both for verbal and quantitative. The best way to improve verbal skills in my opinion is reading a lot (magazines, articles, websites, journals...). In my opinion, the more you read the better your score will be.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 325
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Education)
Send PM
Hey Akra,

Well done. 630 is a really good score. I struggle with Verbal a lot (especially RC). What magazines or journal would you recommend to read in order to improve on reading comprehension ??

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
Send PM