Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT Date: 09-17-2011
GPA: 3.22
WE:Underwriter (Insurance)
Send PM
Re: I need a boost [#permalink]
Kudos
believer wrote:
I've only been a member for a few days and am very impressed with the quality and skill of all of you guys. I may be lagging behind, but am still looking to you for some encouragement.

I just started to study and took an initial test, scoring an abysmal 400... I WAS SHOCKED. I am planning on 3-4 months of studying with the goal to get anywhere between 620-650. I haven't had any math IN YEARS and am struggling with the way the GMAT is wording its questions.

Is it possible to get a 200+ score increase? Who has done it, and most importantly, what do you (GMAT experts) suggest ought to be my course of action for achieving my goal?

Hi,
I am not an expert on gmat but preparing for gmat just like you, and my first diagnostic was I think 440? I dont even remember the Q/V breakdown, I have MGMT guides and am scoring around 550, So 200+ point increase is definitely possible,
try the following site for basic math refresher:
https://www.khanacademy.org/
I actually view the tutorials first and then go to MGMT chapter, and this has helped me to move along much faster through MGMT Quant material.
all the best for your prep!
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
The good news is that it's much easier to raise a low score than a high score! Understanding what GMAT problems are asking you to do is a matter of practice and analysis. As you work through questions, be sure you understand why the wrong answers are wrong just as much as you understand why the right answers are right. That's a big component of studying GMAT style in addition to content. Best of luck!
Retired Moderator
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Kudos
hey man. idk if i can be of any use but i was in the same shoes you were in a few months back. I got a 430 and now I'm averaging in the mid 600's and i take it for real in a few weeks. just goes to show hard work pays off. Get you some MGMAT books and Kaplan CAT's. Don't waste your CAT's and study hard. Takes notes. and use the error log.
VP
VP
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Kudos
vwjetty wrote:
hey man. idk if i can be of any use but i was in the same shoes you were in a few months back. I got a 430 and now I'm averaging in the mid 600's and i take it for real in a few weeks. just goes to show hard work pays off. Get you some MGMAT books and Kaplan CAT's. Don't waste your CAT's and study hard. Takes notes. and use the error log.

Kudos because I just read your Target Schools on your profile. I like that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Thanks everybody, I really hope I can get to my goal of 620-650 within a few months or so.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
400 is just a poor score that denotes you were not prepared at all. With a bit of training you'll easily reach 600.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
lagomez wrote:
vwjetty wrote:

Kudos because I just read your Target Schools on your profile. I like that.

Kudo's to you just cause you read it. Although I'm sure there's probably others who have too and just snickered. Neither do I have the brains or the cash to be competing with the big dogs. Sometimes, admitting defeat isn't such a bad thing. After all, who said you had to graduate from a top school to work for goldman sachs :-)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts