Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos

Kellogg (no $$$) vs. Darden (full scholarship)

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: I need your inputs: Kellogg vs Darden (full scholarship) [#permalink]
Congratulations on getting a full ride to Darden! You're facing a great dilemma. Personally, I think that's an awful lot of "free money" to turn down and would choose to go with the full ride. Unless you believe that a Kellogg degree would cover the costs with a higher salary in the near future/be substantially more in the long term, I think Darden seems the more viable option.

Originally posted by cecilpaladin32 on 26 Feb 2012, 18:51.
Last edited by cecilpaladin32 on 26 Feb 2012, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
At the end of the day, it's your choice.

However, given that Darden has offered you a full ride and is also a top notch program, if it was me, I'd go to Charlottesville. One of my college roommates is finishing his 2nd year there and will get a nice job out in the west coast.

Charlottesville is also a very nice college town, where "The Grounds" is literally next to the middle of downtown if this appeals to you. I am from Virginia, but not UVA itself but I know a good number of UVA alums.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
First of all, congrats on being admitted to two such incredible programs!

Now, based on your post, I'm guessing that your work experience is with a strong but not top-tier consulting firm, and you hope to switch to one of M/B/B post-MBA. If that is your goal, then Kellogg is probably a better option than Darden, even given the full-ride. Kellogg places a huge number of people into M/B/B each year, while significantly fewer come from Darden.

That said, Darden does place people in M/B/B, so if you're a top-performer, you could still get an offer from one of those firms.

I would also argue that the alumni network is stronger at Kellogg. The alumni network is (obviously) a major benefit of getting an MBA. You can think of the value of the alumni network as an annuity that pays dividends over a long period of time as you leverage the network to move forward in your career (whether it is help finding a new job, landing a new account, or whatever).

It will be difficult to do, but you'll need to try to evaluate whether the increased likelihood of landing M/B/B plus the long-term value of the network will compensate for the $100k or whatever you end up paying in tuition and fees.

If I were you, I'd choose Kellogg (that's how I voted), but obviously you'll need to evaluate the pros/cons given your own goals, preferences, etc.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Darden. No-brainer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Thanks guys! This is all very helpful! Very good perspective from all of you. I have a few more weeks to decide so lets keep this active. I have to admit, though it appears that Darden is the clear winner based on the current poll results, I didn't think there would be that many votes for Kellogg. Rather interesting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Although I am a little late on this one, I would have choosen Darden. You could not go wrong with a full scholarship, could you? Anyways well done and good luck with getting your MBA.
GMAT Club Bot