Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [107]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [46]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: NASA’s methodical approach to the exploration of Mars has not yet answ [#permalink]
Awaiting OA

NASA’s methodical approach to the exploration of Mars has not yet answered the questions of whether biological life forms ever emerged on Mars and whether, presuming such life forms having left fossil traces to begin with, those traces can still exist in some moist recesses of the cold and arid planet.

A. and whether, presuming such life forms having left fossil traces to begin with, those traces can
Traces can? Having left?

B. and whether, if it is presumed that such life forms left some fossil traces to begin with, can those traces
Whether can ? Redundancy

C. and whether, presuming such life forms left fossil traces to begin with, those traces
Correct

D. and, presuming such life forms did leave some fossil traces to begin with, if they can
Whether if? Redundancy

E. and, presuming such life forms to have left fossil traces to begin with, if they
Whether if? Redundancy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Re: NASA’s methodical approach to the exploration of Mars has not yet answ [#permalink]
souvik101990 wrote:
NASA’s methodical approach to the exploration of Mars has not yet answered the questions of whether biological life forms ever emerged on Mars and whether, presuming such life forms having left fossil traces to begin with, those traces can still exist in some moist recesses of the cold and arid planet.

(A) and whether, presuming such life forms having left fossil traces to begin with, those traces can

(B) and whether, if it is presumed that such life forms left some fossil traces to begin with, can those traces

(C) and whether, presuming such life forms left fossil traces to begin with, those traces

(D) and, presuming such life forms did leave some fossil traces to begin with, if they can

(E) and, presuming such life forms to have left fossil traces to begin with, if they

A) "Having" participle makes no sense here
B) "Whether can those traces" is a fragment, "if" clause also could be written better
C) Correct
D, E) Not parallel -> "Whether if" is not correct.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
NASA’s methodical approach to the exploration of Mars has not yet answ [#permalink]
(A) and whether, presuming such life forms having left fossil traces to begin with, those traces can
The issue with (a) is the "having". Since there is no form of be (is/was/are/be) "having" isn't acting as a verb, but rather a modifier.

(B) and whether, if it is presumed that such life forms left some fossil traces to begin with, can those traces
Issue: "whether..can" is illogical

(C) and whether, presuming such life forms left fossil traces to begin with, those traces
Good.

(D) and, presuming such life forms did leave some fossil traces to begin with, if they can
"Whether... and..if" aren't parallel? Use if in "if/then" constructions (careful though as the "then" can be omitted) otherwise use whether.

(E) and, presuming such life forms to have left fossil traces to begin with, if they
"Whether... and..if" aren't parallel. Use if in "if/then" constructions (careful though as the "then" can be omitted) otherwise use whether.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Genoa2000 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,
GMATPrep tag required here!

Done, thanks for pointing!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
NASA’s methodical approach to the exploration of Mars has not yet answered the questions of
whether biological life forms ever emerged on Mars
and whether, presuming such life forms
having left fossil traces to begin with,
those traces can
still exist in some moist recesses of the cold and arid planet.

IMO C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Wharton '23
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
in option C. the modifying thing in between whether, presuming such life forms left fossil traces to begin with, those traces. Can anyone tell me how a verb and subject pair exists in this modifier
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Deeptanshu02 wrote:
in option C. the modifying thing in between whether, presuming such life forms left fossil traces to begin with, those traces. Can anyone tell me how a verb and subject pair exists in this modifier

Not sure if I understand your question correctly; life forms is the subject and left is the verb.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Send PM
How can the structure be like whether(subordinate) ,clause,clause isn't this comma splice
Whereas what i thought it should whether, modifier, clause
And if the structure is what i thought then how can a subject verb pair exsist in a modifier

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DanTe02 wrote:
How can the structure be like whether(subordinate) ,clause,clause isn't this comma splice
Whereas what i thought it should whether, modifier, clause
And if the structure is what i thought then how can a subject verb pair exsist in a modifier

Posted from my mobile device

Rule #1 for Sentence Correction: do not invent rules. :)

It's fine to have a subject and verb as part of a modifier. These constructions are quite common. For example:

Tim, who fancies himself an excellent father, occasionally forgets to feed and clothe his children.

Here, "who fancies" is a subject-verb pair within a modifier describing Tim. This is perfectly acceptable. Notice that "who fancies himself an excellent father" cannot stand on its own, so we don't have to worry about the possibility of a run-on or comma splice.

Similarly, we could have:

Assuming that Tim would like to stay out of prison, his wife decided to give their two-year-old some dried food in a bowl.

Again, we have a subject and verb - Tim would like - within a modifier, this one describing Tim's wife. And because "assuming Tim would like to stay out of prison" cannot stand on its own, we don't have a comma splice.

The same is true in the example you cited. "Presuming such life forms left fossil traces to begin with" contains a subject and verb, but because it's a modifier that cannot stand on its own, there's no problem here.

I hope that clears things up!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
Tim, who fancies himself an excellent father, occasionally forgets to feed and clothe his children
Similarly, we could have:

Assuming that Tim would like to stay out of prison, his wife decided to give their two-year-old some dried food in a bowl.

GMATNinja The above examples you cited use a subordinate marker of a sort. In the first example who (a relative pronoun) follows a verb and is sort of a dependent clause , and in second example there's "that" which again marks the beginning of a dependent clause where as I don't see one in our question.
Could it be the case that the line below even if it has a subject verb pair and does not have a subordinate marker(Or maybe has a marker I don't know is a marker)
"presuming such life forms left fossil traces to begin with" is still a dependent clause because it does not standalone and does not convey an independent idea , and hence there's no comma splice as two independent clauses need a conjunction but one independent and one dependent do not.
I am sorry you had to read through my mess. Hope I was able to articulate my thought :)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [4]

Send PM
Kudos