Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32875 [20]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 4
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32875 [3]
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32875 [1]
Send PM
Re: "I want to criticize the social system, and to show it at work, at its [#permalink]
Kudos
Top Contributor
srinjoy1990 wrote:
carcass : Can you please post the answer key to question number 5 ["The author implies that a major element of the satirist's art is the satirist's "] ? I got 2 incorrect. I got the error for one, just had no clue about the 5th question, which according me is the toughest of the lot.

I found the content the facts very dense, though was able to discern the main idea, scope, tone.

Overall 14 mins, with around 4mins to read.

Btw, what is the source of the RC ?

Thanx,

The passage says
Quote:
She describes phenomena and provides materials for a judgment about society and social issues: it is the reader's work to put the observations together and understand the coherent point of view behind them.

Which means that is the reader makes the observations, so is contemplative and not aggressive.

Always try to figure out the contexts in which the question is asking: maybe you can find the answer slightly before where is the real gist of the question or just a bit after.

Ask if something is unclear to you
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: "I want to criticize the social system, and to show it at work, at its [#permalink]
[quote="carcass"]Guys on the GMAT usually Short passages have 3 questions and the longer 4. This is a GRE passage that I love for two main reasons

• They are really dense and well written. They are official source so you can bet on them. Moreover, they help you to train at its finest for the test.
  • They are even more convoluted than GMAT passages because of GRE stress a lot on the verbal side of the test, meanwhile GMAT more on quant

I would say from 2 to 4 minutes for the longest passages to read head down, and from 30 seconds to 90 seconds to answer each question you face oof.

So, make the count. 8 minutes at most on average

Ask if you need further assistance.

carcass -Are you sure that GRE stresses more on verbal side than on Quant side? I have studied for GRE and know how it works. SO i could not disagree with you more on your remark. GMAT my friend is focused on verbal whereas GRE is mostly math and in that mostly geometry.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32875 [0]
Send PM
Top Contributor
When we say that a test relies more on one side rather than another we should take it with a grain of salt.

That said, I scanned all the questions you can find at this link https://greprepclub.com/forum/powerprep ... -3118.html

And the most difficult math question ranging from 680 to 720 relative to that of GMAT.

On the other hand, a verbal question like this is really difficult if you do not grasp the real essence of the meaning https://greprepclub.com/forum/the-journ ... -3344.html

On the contrary, even the most difficult SC could be solved with some trick or touch of grammar without fully have the meaning at its core https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-holland-a ... 44373.html

Then everybody has his/her feeling/opinion.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Kudos
can somebody explain the answer choice selection for question 7:

The passage supplies information for answering which of the following questions?

(A) Have literary critics ignored the social criticism inherent in the works of Chekhov and Chaucer?
(B) Does the author believe that Woolf is solely an introspective and visionary novelist?
(C) What are the social causes with which Woolf shows herself to be sympathetic in her writings?
(D) \Vas D. H. Lawrence as concerned as Woolf was with creating realistic settings for his novels?
(E) Does Woolf attribute more power to social environment or to historical forces as shapers of a person's life?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
passage Map:
P1: Author favors VW over her critics for writing realistically in her novels.
P2: why her writings are not recognized and her view on reformers in her novels
P3: How she phrases her social criticism and why she likes writings of Chaucer.

carcass can you please confirm if the map is correct. I am struggling with RCs as I got 1 right and 6 wrong after spending 15 minutes on the passage.

Also can you provide the OE's?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Guys can you explain Q4 to Q7

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Timebomb wrote:
passage Map:
P1: Author favors VW over her critics for writing realistically in her novels.
P2: why her writings are not recognized and her view on reformers in her novels
P3: How she phrases her social criticism and why she likes writings of Chaucer.

carcass can you please confirm if the map is correct. I am struggling with RCs as I got 1 right and 6 wrong after spending 15 minutes on the passage.

Also can you provide the OE's?

I have faced the same issue. This passage is really hard to understand. Can someone please provide a summary of how you understood the passage? Literature is such a challenging topic for me.

When the author said this: "But Virginia Woolf was a realistic as well as a poetic novelist, a satirist and social critic as well as a visionary: literary critics' cavalier dismissal of Woolf's social vision will not withstand scrutiny." Did s/he mean to emphasize that Woolf is the realistic novelist? Are there differences between poetic vs realistic novelist in general term? This is plainly English question for me. Hope someone can help
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [2]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.72
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Ishita95 wrote:
Guys can you explain Q4 to Q7

Posted from my mobile device

Hi

I got all the questions correct except the last. I can try to explain

4. It can be inferred from the passage that the most probable reason Woolf realistically described the social setting in the majority of her novels was that she

This is a direct question:

The reference is from Paragraph 1 - "In her novels, Woolf is deeply engaged by the questions of how individuals are shaped (or de-formed) by their social environments, how historical forces impinge on people's lives, how class, wealth, and gender help to determine people's fates. Most of her novels are rooted in a realistically rendered social setting and in a precise historical time."

(A) was aware that contemporary literary critics considered the novel to be the most realistic of literary genres >> The influence of critics on Wolf's writings is no where mentioned in the passage.
(B) was interested in the effect of a person's social milieu on his or her character and actions >> Correct - In line with the reference
(C) needed to be as attentive to detail as possible in her novels in order to support the arguments she advanced in them >> Not mentioned anywhere in the passage
(D) wanted to show that a painstaking fidelity in the representation of reality did not in any way hamper the artist >> Out of scope
(E) wished to prevent critics from charging that her novels were written in an ambiguous and inexact style >> The intention of showing social setting is not to prevent critics from charging anything.

5. Which of the following phrases best expresses the sense of the word "contemplative" as it is used in lines 43-44 of the passage?

The reference is from Last paragraph: Woolf's own social criticism is expressed in the language of observation rather than in direct commentary since for her, fiction is a contemplative, not an active art. She describes phenomena and provides materials for a judgment about society and social issues: it is the reader's work to put the observations together and understand the coherent point of view behind them. As a moralist, Woolf works by indirection, subtly undermining officially accepted mores, mocking, suggesting, calling into question, rather than asserting, advocating, bearing witness: hen is the satirist's art.

(A) Gradually elucidating the rational structures underlying accepted more > Wolf goes opposite to the accepted mores. So she never actually explains the structures of the accepted more - Opposite
(B) Reflecting on issues in society without prejudice or emotional commitment >> This is Opposite again. She expresses accepted more in a an undermining tone - so She is subjective & emotional.
(C) Avoiding the aggressive assertion of the author's perspective to the exclusion of the reader's judgment >> Correct - As the passage says wolf provides the material to frame perspectives.
(D) Conveying a broad view of society as a whole rather than focusing on an isolated individual consciousness >> Not mentioned
(E) Appreciating the world as the artist sees it rather than judging it in moral terms >> She did undermine the accepted more.

6. The author implies that a major element of the satirist's art is the satirist's

The reference is same as for Q5.

(A) consistent adherence to a position of lofty disdain when viewing the foibles of humanity >> Undermining <> consistent disdain
(B) insistence on the helplessness of individuals against the social forces that seek to determine an individual's fate <> Extreme & out of context - The passage merely said that the society influences people but this answer choice goes on to say that the people are helpless.
(C) cynical disbelief that visionaries can either enlighten or improve their societies >> Out of Context
(D) fundamental assumption that some ambiguity must remain in a work of art in order for it to reflect society and social mores accurately >> Out of context
(E) refusal to indulge in polemic when present-ing social mores to readers for their scrutiny > Correct

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Harsh
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
"I want to criticize the social system, and to show it at work, at its [#permalink]
Kudos
carcass wrote:
"I want to criticize the social system, and to show it at work, at its most intense." Virginia Woolf's provocative statement about her intentions in writing Mrs. Dalloway has regularly been ignored by the critics since it highlights an aspect of her literary interests very different from the traditional picture of the "poetic" novelist concerned with examining states of reverie and vision and with following the intricate pathways of individual consciousness. But Virginia Woolf was a realistic as well as a poetic novelist, a satirist and social critic as well as a visionary: literary critics' cavalier dismissal of Woolf's social vision will not withstand scrutiny. In her novels, Woolf is deeply engaged by the questions of how individuals are shaped (or de-formed) by their social environments, how historical forces impinge on people's lives, how class, wealth, and gender help to determine people's fates. Most of her novels are rooted in a realistically rendered social setting and in a precise historical time.

Woolf's focus on society has not been generally recognized because of her intense antipathy to propaganda in an. The pictures of reformers in her novels are usually satiric or sharply critical. Even when Woolf is fundamentally sympathetic to their causes, she portrays people anxious to reform their society and possessed of a message or program as arrogant or dishonest, unaware of how their political ideas serve their own psychological needs. (Her Writer's Diary notes: "the only honest people are the artists," whereas "these social reformers and philanthropists ... harbor ... discreditable desires under the disguise of loving their kind....") Woolf detested what she called "preaching" in fiction, too, and criticized novelist D. H. Lawrence (among others) for working by this method.

Woolf's own social criticism is expressed in the language of observation rather than in direct commentary since for her, fiction is a contemplative, not an active art. She describes phenomena and provides materials for a judgment about society and social issues: it is the reader's work to put the observations together and understand the coherent point of view behind them. As a moralist, Woolf works by indirection, subtly undermining officially accepted mores, mocking, suggesting, calling into question, rather than asserting, advocating, bearing witness: hen is the satirist's art. Woolf's literary models were acute social observers like Chekhov and Chaucer. As she put it in The Common Reader, "It is safe to say that not a single law has been framed or one stone set upon another because of anything Chaucer said or wrote; and yet, as we read him, we are absorbing morality at every pore." Like Chaucer, Woolf chose to understand as well as to judge, to know her society root and branch—a decision crucial in order to produce art rather than polemic.

1. Which of the following would be the most appropriate title for the passage?

(A) Poetry and Satire as Influences on the Novels of Virginia Woolf
(B) Virginia Woolf: Critic and Commentator on the Twentieth-Century Novel
(C) Trends in Contemporary Reform Movements as a Key to Understanding Virginia Woolf's Novels
(D) Society as Allegory for the Individual in the Novels of Virginia Woolf
(E) Virginia Woolf's Novels: Critical Reflections on the Individual and on Society

2. In the first paragraph of the passage, the author's attitude toward the literary critics mentioned can best be described as

(A) disparaging
(B) ironic
(C) facetious
(D) skeptical but resigned
(F) disappointed but hopeful

3. It can be inferred from the passage that Woolf chose Chaucer as a literary model because she believed that

(A) Chaucer was the first English author to focus on society as a whole as well as on individual characters
(B) Chaucer was an honest and forthright author, whereas novelists like D. H. Lawrence did not sincerely wish to change society
(C) Chaucer was more concerned with understanding his society than with calling its accepted mores into question
(D) Chaucer's writing was great, if subtly, effective in influencing the moral attitudes of his readers
(E) her own novels would be more widely read if, like Chaucer, she did not overtly and vehemently criticize contemporary society

4. It can be inferred from the passage that the most probable reason Woolf realistically described the social setting in the majority of her novels was that she

(A) was aware that contemporary literary critics considered the novel to be the most realistic of literary genres
(B) was interested in the effect of a person's social milieu on his or her character and actions
(C) needed to be as attentive to detail as possible in her novels in order to support the arguments she advanced in them
(D) wanted to show that a painstaking fidelity in the representation of reality did not in any way hamper the artist
(E) wished to prevent critics from charging that her novels were written in an ambiguous and inexact style

5. Which of the following phrases best expresses the sense of the word "contemplative" as it is used in lines 43-44 of the passage?

(A) Gradually elucidating the rational structures underlying accepted more
(B) Reflecting on issues in society without prejudice or emotional commitment
(C) Avoiding the aggressive assertion of the author's perspective to the exclusion of the reader's judgment
(D) Conveying a broad view of society as a whole rather than focusing on an isolated individual consciousness
(E) Appreciating the world as the artist sees it rather than judging it in moral terms

6. The author implies that a major element of the satirist's art is the satirist's

(A) consistent adherence to a position of lofty disdain when viewing the foibles of humanity
(B) insistence on the helplessness of individuals against the social forces that seek to determine an individual's fate
(C) cynical disbelief that visionaries can either enlighten or improve their societies
(D) fundamental assumption that some ambiguity must remain in a work of art in order for it to reflect society and social mores accurately
(E) refusal to indulge in polemic when present-ing social mores to readers for their scrutiny

7. The passage supplies information for answering which of the following questions?

(A) Have literary critics ignored the social criticism inherent in the works of Chekhov and Chaucer?
(B) Does the author believe that Woolf is solely an introspective and visionary novelist?
(C) What are the social causes with which Woolf shows herself to be sympathetic in her writings?
(D) \Vas D. H. Lawrence as concerned as Woolf was with creating realistic settings for his novels?
(E) Does Woolf attribute more power to social environment or to historical forces as shapers of a person's life?

RC Butler 2021 - Practice Two RC Questions Everyday.
Passage # 238 Date: 16-Jun-2021
This question is a part of RC Butler 2021. Click here for Details

Spent 14 mins, got Q1-Q5 right , Q6 & Q7 wrong.

For title, you always chose the answer that covers the entire passage, the entire passage talks about VW & her approach in her writings, how that was revolving around society as a whole, thus option E.

2. In the first paragraph of the passage, the author's attitude toward the literary critics mentioned can best be described as

iterary critics' cavalier dismissal of Woolf's social vision will not withstand scrutiny.[\b] In P1 author mentions this which means that he is trying to disregard the literary critic's criticism of Woolf, therefore [b]disparaging[\b]

[b]3. It can be inferred from the passage that Woolf chose Chaucer as a literary model because she believed that

The last para clearly mentions that -
"It is safe to say that not a single law has been framed or one stone set upon another because of anything Chaucer said or wrote; and yet, as we read him, we are absorbing morality at every pore." [\b]
Chaucer's writings were making the readers to look at the moral angles therefore (D)

[b]4. It can be inferred from the passage that the most probable reason Woolf realistically described the social setting in the majority of her novels was that she

she was more focused on looking at the affects of social environment on people's life, as mentioned in the P1 as well -
"Most of her novels are rooted in a realistically rendered social setting and in a precise historical time.[\b]

[b]5. Which of the following phrases best expresses the sense of the word "contemplative" as it is used in lines 43-44 of the passage?

This was pretty straight forward, the word contemplative itself means weighing-out-different-alternatives or looking for different answers, this is exactly what this word id doing here, asking readers to not just read and believe what is written but be contemplative about it.
Woolf just shares observations - [b]"it is the reader's work to put the observations together and understand the coherent point of view behind them"[\b]

Q6 & Q7 I got wrong but after a second look I could see why the OA is right.

Too much to write here, if there is any clarification in the above answers please comment.
Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
"I want to criticize the social system, and to show it at work, at its [#permalink]
bm2201

Could you please add explanation for Q7?

I chose the answer E
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32899 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
swan17 wrote:
bm2201

Could you please add an explanation for Q7?

I chose the answer E

Read the lines from the passage:

"Virginia Woolf's provocative statement about her intentions in writing Mrs. Dalloway has regularly been ignored by the critics since it highlights an aspect of her literary interests very different from the traditional picture of the "poetic" novelist concerned with examining states of reverie and vision and with following the intricate pathways of individual consciousness."

"But Virginia Woolf was a realistic as well as a poetic novelist, a satirist and social critic as well as a visionary: literary critics' cavalier dismissal of Woolf's social vision will not withstand scrutiny."

B is correct according to para 1. There is no comparison made in paragraph 1 that is why E is wrong.

Answer: A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 899
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
Send PM
arya251294 wrote:
carcass wrote:
"I want to criticize the social system, and to show it at work, at its most intense." Virginia Woolf's provocative statement about her intentions in writing Mrs. Dalloway has regularly been ignored by the critics since it highlights an aspect of her literary interests very different from the traditional picture of the "poetic" novelist concerned with examining states of reverie and vision and with following the intricate pathways of individual consciousness. But Virginia Woolf was a realistic as well as a poetic novelist, a satirist and social critic as well as a visionary: literary critics' cavalier dismissal of Woolf's social vision will not withstand scrutiny. In her novels, Woolf is deeply engaged by the questions of how individuals are shaped (or de-formed) by their social environments, how historical forces impinge on people's lives, how class, wealth, and gender help to determine people's fates. Most of her novels are rooted in a realistically rendered social setting and in a precise historical time.

Woolf's focus on society has not been generally recognized because of her intense antipathy to propaganda in an. The pictures of reformers in her novels are usually satiric or sharply critical. Even when Woolf is fundamentally sympathetic to their causes, she portrays people anxious to reform their society and possessed of a message or program as arrogant or dishonest, unaware of how their political ideas serve their own psychological needs. (Her Writer's Diary notes: "the only honest people are the artists," whereas "these social reformers and philanthropists ... harbor ... discreditable desires under the disguise of loving their kind....") Woolf detested what she called "preaching" in fiction, too, and criticized novelist D. H. Lawrence (among others) for working by this method.

Woolf's own social criticism is expressed in the language of observation rather than in direct commentary since for her, fiction is a contemplative, not an active art. She describes phenomena and provides materials for a judgment about society and social issues: it is the reader's work to put the observations together and understand the coherent point of view behind them. As a moralist, Woolf works by indirection, subtly undermining officially accepted mores, mocking, suggesting, calling into question, rather than asserting, advocating, bearing witness: hen is the satirist's art. Woolf's literary models were acute social observers like Chekhov and Chaucer. As she put it in The Common Reader, "It is safe to say that not a single law has been framed or one stone set upon another because of anything Chaucer said or wrote; and yet, as we read him, we are absorbing morality at every pore." Like Chaucer, Woolf chose to understand as well as to judge, to know her society root and branch—a decision crucial in order to produce art rather than polemic.

(A) Poetry and Satire as Influences on the Novels of Virginia Woolf
(B) Virginia Woolf: Critic and Commentator on the Twentieth-Century Novel
(C) Trends in Contemporary Reform Movements as a Key to Understanding Virginia Woolf's Novels
(D) Society as Allegory for the Individual in the Novels of Virginia Woolf
(E) Virginia Woolf's Novels: Critical Reflections on the Individual and on Society

(A) disparaging
(B) ironic
(C) facetious
(D) skeptical but resigned
(F) disappointed but hopeful

3. It can be inferred from the passage that Woolf chose Chaucer as a literary model because she believed that

(A) Chaucer was the first English author to focus on society as a whole as well as on individual characters
(B) Chaucer was an honest and forthright author, whereas novelists like D. H. Lawrence did not sincerely wish to change society
(C) Chaucer was more concerned with understanding his society than with calling its accepted mores into question
(D) Chaucer's writing was great, if subtly, effective in influencing the moral attitudes of his readers
(E) her own novels would be more widely read if, like Chaucer, she did not overtly and vehemently criticize contemporary society

(A) was aware that contemporary literary critics considered the novel to be the most realistic of literary genres
(B) was interested in the effect of a person's social milieu on his or her character and actions
(C) needed to be as attentive to detail as possible in her novels in order to support the arguments she advanced in them
(D) wanted to show that a painstaking fidelity in the representation of reality did not in any way hamper the artist
(E) wished to prevent critics from charging that her novels were written in an ambiguous and inexact style

(A) Gradually elucidating the rational structures underlying accepted more
(B) Reflecting on issues in society without prejudice or emotional commitment
(C) Avoiding the aggressive assertion of the author's perspective to the exclusion of the reader's judgment
(D) Conveying a broad view of society as a whole rather than focusing on an isolated individual consciousness
(E) Appreciating the world as the artist sees it rather than judging it in moral terms

(A) consistent adherence to a position of lofty disdain when viewing the foibles of humanity
(B) insistence on the helplessness of individuals against the social forces that seek to determine an individual's fate
(C) cynical disbelief that visionaries can either enlighten or improve their societies
(D) fundamental assumption that some ambiguity must remain in a work of art in order for it to reflect society and social mores accurately
(E) refusal to indulge in polemic when present-ing social mores to readers for their scrutiny

7. The passage supplies information for answering which of the following questions?

RC Butler 2021 - Practice Two RC Questions Everyday.
Passage # 238 Date: 16-Jun-2021
This question is a part of RC Butler 2021. Click here for Details

Spent 14 mins, got Q1-Q5 right , Q6 & Q7 wrong.

For title, you always chose the answer that covers the entire passage, the entire passage talks about VW & her approach in her writings, how that was revolving around society as a whole, thus option E.

iterary critics' cavalier dismissal of Woolf's social vision will not withstand scrutiny.[\b] In P1 author mentions this which means that he is trying to disregard the literary critic's criticism of Woolf, therefore [b]disparaging[\b]

[b]3. It can be inferred from the passage that Woolf chose Chaucer as a literary model because she believed that

The last para clearly mentions that -
"It is safe to say that not a single law has been framed or one stone set upon another because of anything Chaucer said or wrote; and yet, as we read him, we are absorbing morality at every pore." [\b]
Chaucer's writings were making the readers to look at the moral angles therefore (D)

[b]4. It can be inferred from the passage that the most probable reason Woolf realistically described the social setting in the majority of her novels was that she

she was more focused on looking at the affects of social environment on people's life, as mentioned in the P1 as well -
"Most of her novels are rooted in a realistically rendered social setting and in a precise historical time.[\b]

[b]5. Which of the following phrases best expresses the sense of the word "contemplative" as it is used in lines 43-44 of the passage?

This was pretty straight forward, the word contemplative itself means weighing-out-different-alternatives or looking for different answers, this is exactly what this word id doing here, asking readers to not just read and believe what is written but be contemplative about it.
Woolf just shares observations - [b]"it is the reader's work to put the observations together and understand the coherent point of view behind them"[\b]

Q6 & Q7 I got wrong but after a second look I could see why the OA is right.

Too much to write here, if there is any clarification in the above answers please comment.
Hope this helps.

Great explanations, can you please explain Q6?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
carcass Sajjad1994 in question 7, option B says "solely...". isnt that very limited in scope to what the passages says?

But Virginia Woolf was a realistic as well as a poetic novelist, a satirist and social critic as well as a visionary: literary critics' cavalier dismissal of Woolf's social vision will not withstand scrutiny.

How should introspection be interpreted in the question?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32875 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
The question is

Is Woolf ONLY a novelist? or is she something else that we did not recognize before ?

"I want to criticize the social system, and to show it at work, at its most intense." Virginia Woolf's provocative statement about her intentions in writing Mrs. Dalloway has regularly been ignored by the critics since it highlights an aspect of her literary interests very different from the traditional picture of the "poetic" novelist concerned with examining states of reverie and vision and with following the intricate pathways of individual consciousness.

The bold portion means she has NOT only an interest to discern the intricate pathways of individual consciousness

But Virginia Woolf was a realistic as well as poetic novelist, a satirist, and social critic as well as a visionary:

literary critics' cavalier dismissal of Woolf's social vision will not withstand scrutiny. In her novels,

1) Woolf is deeply engaged by the questions of how individuals are shaped (or de-formed) by their social environments,
2) how historical forces impinge on people's lives, how class, wealth,
3) and gender help to determine people's fates.

She was interested in 3 things and NOT just in novel

Most of her novels are rooted in a realistically rendered social setting and in a precise historical time.

She had a deep understanding I would say, prosaically, of what was going on at the time. She WAS NOT ONLY a simple novelist

I hope this helps
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts