Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [8]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [6]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [3]

Send PM
Re: Ideal Snacks for the GMAT Breaks [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Yes, that absolutely sounds reasonable, Karishma! As long as test-takers don't get the feeling that they should go on a crazy sugar binge, it's all good. A little bit of dessert with a pre-GMAT meal never really hurt anyone. :-D

And I wholeheartedly agree that test day is a terrible time for an experiment. It's all about figuring out what works best for you, since we're all wired differently.

I'm going to go eat some almonds now. Thanks for making me hungry, MacFauz.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
No Sachin, don't eat bananas! Bananas are known to cause terrible anxiety. :banana

Just kidding. In all seriousness, I think bananas are fine, though I would probably add nuts to the mix so that you have a better balance of macronutrients. Granola bars aren't too bad--there are enough fats and complex carbohydrates in most granola bars to prevent a sugar crash, especially if you're eating during both of your breaks. Having some sugar in your snack is fine, but I think that it's dangerous to go for a snack that's ALL sugar, unless you have a bizarrely slow metabolism.

Gorgonzola and baguette sounds awesome, though. But I wonder: would the proctors object if you brought a particularly fragrant cheese into the test center? I would be very impressed by anybody who gets kicked out of a test because of a stinky cheese violation.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3119 [1]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
BM wrote:
An interesting dialogue so far between the two above members. We have an old thread on this topic that may (or may not) be helpful:

gmat-snacks-98462.html

Bananas, almonds (kirkland signature roasted and salted), snicker bars and trail mix.. Not the best snacks for the GMAT.. They are the best snacks period.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
An interesting dialogue so far between the two above members. We have an old thread on this topic that may (or may not) be helpful:

gmat-snacks-98462.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
I always love your perspective on the GMAT, Karishma, but I have to respectfully disagree with your advice in this case.

Unfortunately, pure sugar is arguably the worst thing a test-taker can consume prior to a four-hour exam, simply because it causes a crash afterwards. Yes, your brain desperately needs sugars (usually in the form of glucose) to function, but to succeed on a four-hour exam, your brain needs a nice, steady supply of energy. Sugary snacks cause a quick spike in glucose and insulin levels... and then a very speedy crash.

(A fun cautionary tale: back when I taught high school, one of my students ate a massive bag of Skittles before his SAT exam. He confidently ripped through the first section... and then literally fell asleep during the middle of the second section. Oops.)

I can see how the New York Times article could cause a little bit of confusion, though. All of the experiments in the article mentioned glucose (a relatively pure form of simple sugar), but the article didn't fully explain that our bodies ultimately break all carbohydrates down into glucose. If you consume pure glucose (or fructose or dextrose or any other closely related simple sugar), minimal digestion is required, and the glucose will rapidly work its way through your body. You'll get a wonderful spike, then an inevitable crash. But if you consume balanced foods that contain a nice mix of proteins, fats, and complex carbohydrates, your body will slowly break them into glucose, and your brain will receive the steady supply of the energy it needs for a four-hour GMAT marathon.

The New York Times piece buried this little nugget deep in the article:

Quote:
A sugar-filled snack or drink will provide a quick improvement in self-control (that’s why it’s convenient to use in experiments), but it’s just a temporary solution. The problem is that what we identify as sugar doesn’t help as much over the course of the day as the steadier supply of glucose we would get from eating proteins and other more nutritious foods.

I hate to be the bad guy who discourages cupcake binges, but the sugary snacks are only useful if you need a very short-term glucose spike. The safer way to keep your brain consistently fueled is to eat foods that offer a nice mix of proteins, fats, and complex carbohydrates--a high-protein energy bar (such as Clif Builder bars or Think Thin bars or Balance bars) or a small sandwich on whole grain bread, for example. If you're familiar with the glycemic index (GI), then look for low GI foods for your breaks and pre-test meals.

Would it be possible to survive a GMAT exam on a diet of M&Ms and Jolly Ranchers? Sure--some people metabolize sugars more slowly than others, and some people will do just fine as long as they continue to inhale candy during their breaks. But for most of us, the best way to ensure a steady glucose supply to our brains is to avoid simple sugars, and eat balanced (and probably less appealing!) foods that contain a good mix of macronutrients.

Hi Charles and Karishma,
Many people recommend banana. I had a banana and papaya and I was normal during the test except that I was unable to control my anxiety.

What is your opinion about having a banana?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
I brought a gatorade, granola bar and a banana into the test (put in locker). I had half the gatorade, some banana and half the granola bar during first break- finished gatorade and granola bar during second break.

I definitely experience brain fatigue and I think the sugar helped! As for GMAT studying breaks - creamy gorgonzola and baguette was my fuel of choice. :)
GMAT Club Bot