Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2728 [94]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618683 [43]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16832 [6]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [1]
Send PM
Re: If 0 < x < 1, which of the following inequalities must be true ? [#permalink]
Bookmarks
amitdgr wrote:
If 0<x<1 , which of the following inequalities must be true ?

I. \(x^5 < x^3\)
II. \(x^4 + x^5 < x^3 + x^2\)
III. \(x^4 - x^5 < x^2 - x^3\)

* None
* I only
* II only
* I and II only
* I,II and III

The answer is E

I: x^5-x^3 = x^3*(x-1)*(x+1) < 0 since x > 0 and x < 1
II: x^4+x^5-x^3-x^2 = x^2*(x+1)*(x-1)*(x+1) < 0 for same reasons
III: x^4-x^5-x^2+x^3 = x^2*(1-x)*(x-1)*(x+1) = -x^2*(x-1)^2*(x+1) < 0
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Industrial Sector
Schools:Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
 Q47  V28
Send PM
Re: If 0 < x < 1, which of the following inequalities must be true ? [#permalink]
My two cents:

I beeter if you divided by x^2: x^2+x^3<x+1 -> always
II better if you divided by x^2: x^2-x^3<1-x^2 always
III dividing by x^2: x^2-x^3<1-x^2
if x=0.1 thus 0.01-0.001<1-0.01 always
if x=0.9 thus 0.81-0.729<1-0.9 // 0.081<1 always

E

OA?

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I also believe the answer is E since even the third equation,
x^4 - x^5 < x^2 - x^3
= x^4 + x^3 < x^2 + x^5
=x^2 + x < 1+x^3
which is true since the value on the right hand side will be greater than 1.

thanks
SM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
i will also go with E

raising a decimal number to any power reduces the value of the number.
so .1^2=.01
and .1^3=.001

can be solved by picking numbers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
scofield1521 wrote:
People, please throw some more light!!

If 0 < x < 1, which of the following inequalities must be true ?

I. \(x^5 < x^3\)

A. None
B. I only
C. II only
D. I and II only
E. I, II and III

If 0 < x < 1, then x > x^2 > x^3 > x^4 > x^5 ...

I. \(x^5 < x^3\). True.

II. \(x^4 + x^5 < x^3 + x^2\). Each term on the left hand side is less than each term on the right hand side, thus LHS < RHS.

III. \(x^4 - x^5 < x^2 - x^3\) --> \(x^4(1 - x) < x^2(1 - x)\). Since 0 < x < 1, then 1 - x > 0, so we can reduce by it: \(x^4 < x^2\). True.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.

Bunuel

Can we do this question algebraically without substituting fractions? By trying to prove that each of the statements given indeed have x values within the range of 0 and 1 on the number line?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bunuel

Can we do this question algebraically without substituting fractions? By trying to prove that each of the statements given indeed have x values within the range of 0 and 1 on the number line?[/quote]

Hi sinhap07,

Please find the algebraic approach for the question

I. \(x^5 <x^3\)

\(x^3(x^2 - 1) < 0\) i.e. \(x^3 (x -1) (x +1) < 0.\)

Using the wavy line method we know that for \(0 < x < 1\) the inequality holds true.

II.\(x^4 + x^5 < x^3 + x^2\)

\(x^5 - x^3 + x^4 - x^2 < 0\) i.e. \(x^2(x -1) (x + 1)^2 < 0\)

Using wavy line method we know that for \(0 < x < 1\) the inequality holds true

III.\(x^4 - x^5 < x^2 - x^3\)

\(x^4 - x^2 - x^5 + x^3 < 0\) i.e. \(x^2 (x + 1)(x - 1) (1 -x) < 0\)

\(x^2 (x -1)^2(x + 1) > 0\)

Thus all the three inequalities are true for the range \(0 < x < 1\)

Hope it's clear :)

Regards
Harsh[/quote]

Thanks Harsh for your reply. Can you please throw some more light on the wave method? Of what I knw, signs usually alternate but what I see in your workings, signs don't always alternate. Can you explain it?
Second, why are we ignoring the negative portions say in statement 1 that makes it less than -1. It shows x values dont only pertain to 0 and 1 region. So how can stmt 1 be sufficient?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16832 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Quote:
Bunuel

Can we do this question algebraically without substituting fractions? By trying to prove that each of the statements given indeed have x values within the range of 0 and 1 on the number line?

Quote:
Hi sinhap07,

I. \(x^5 <x^3\)

Using the wavy line method we know that for \(0 < x < 1\) the inequality holds true.

Regards
Harsh

Quote:
Thanks Harsh for your reply. Can you please throw some more light on the wave method? Of what I knw, signs usually alternate but what I see in your workings, signs don't always alternate. Can you explain it?
Second, why are we ignoring the negative portions say in statement 1 that makes it less than -1. It shows x values dont only pertain to 0 and 1 region. So how can stmt 1 be sufficient?

Hi sinhap07,

You are right when you say signs usually alternate around zero points of the inequality but they only alternate when the expression is sign dependent i.e. for odd powers. For example sign of \(x^3\) is dependent on the sign of \(x\) but sign of \(x^2\) is independent of sign of \(x\). Hence for expressions, signs of which are independent of the signs of their base variable, the wave would not alternate but rather bounce back to the same region it is currently in.

I would also suggest you to go through this post on Wavy Line method which will help you understand it better.

For your second query, in st-I the range of \(x\) for which the inequality holds is \(0 < x < 1\) or \(x < -1\) as seen from the wavy line diagram. However as the question asks us if the inequality is true for the range \(0 < x < 1\), we are not concerned about the other possible values of x for which the inequality is true. Once the inequality satisfies the range \(0 < x < 1\), we have our answer.

Regards
Harsh
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
Quote:
Bunuel

Quote:
Hi sinhap07,

I. \(x^5 <x^3\)

Regards
Harsh

Quote:

Hi sinhap07,

You are right when you say signs usually alternate around zero points of the inequality but they only alternate when the expression is sign dependent i.e. for odd powers. For example sign of \(x^3\) is dependent on the sign of \(x\) but sign of \(x^2\) is independent of sign of \(x\). Hence for expressions, signs of which are independent of the signs of their base variable, the wave would not alternate but rather bounce back to the same region it is currently in.

I would also suggest you to go through this post on Wavy Line method which will help you understand it better.

For your second query, in st-I the range of \(x\) for which the inequality holds is \(0 < x < 1\) or \(x < -1\) as seen from the wavy line diagram. However as the question asks us if the inequality is true for the range \(0 < x < 1\), we are not concerned about the other possible values of x for which the inequality is true. Once the inequality satisfies the range \(0 < x < 1\), we have our answer.

Regards
Harsh

Ok Harsh, but by the same logic haven't been able to crack the question below? Can you help?

If –1 < x < 1 and x ≠ 0, which of the following inequalities must be true?
I. x3 < x
II. x2 < |x|
III. x4 – x5 > x3 – x2
(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16832 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sinhap07 wrote:
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
Quote:
Bunuel

Quote:
Hi sinhap07,

I. \(x^5 <x^3\)

Regards
Harsh

Quote:

Hi sinhap07,

Regards
Harsh

Ok Harsh, but by the same logic haven't been able to crack the question below? Can you help?

I. x3 < x
II. x2 < |x|
III. x4 – x5 > x3 – x2
(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

Hi sinhap07,

Please refer to this post where Japinder has presented the algebraic approach using the wavy line method.

Request you to go through it and let us know if you have trouble at any point of the solution :)

Regards
Harsh
Intern
Intern
Send PM

I. x3 < x
II. x2 < |x|
III. x4 – x5 > x3 – x2
(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III[/quote]

Hi sinhap07,

Please refer to this post where Japinder has presented the algebraic approach using the wavy line method.

Request you to go through it and let us know if you have trouble at any point of the solution :)

Regards
Harsh[/quote]

Hey Harsh

Saw Japinder's solution and posted some concerns. Haven't managed a reply yet. Pls find below my comments.

Japinder two concerns:
1. why have we not flipped the inequality sign for stmt 2 when changing the sign to negative?
2. for stmt 3, we have x values less than 1 till negative infinity. how can this be sufficient as the range we want it to be is from -1 to +1
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16832 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
sinhap07 wrote:

I. x3 < x
II. x2 < |x|
III. x4 – x5 > x3 – x2
(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

Hi sinhap07,

Regards
Harsh

Hey Harsh

Saw Japinder's solution and posted some concerns. Haven't managed a reply yet. Pls find below my comments.

Japinder two concerns:
1. why have we not flipped the inequality sign for stmt 2 when changing the sign to negative?
2. for stmt 3, we have x values less than 1 till negative infinity. how can this be sufficient as the range we want it to be is from -1 to +1

Hi sinhap07

Please refer to the post here where Japinder has addressed your concerns.

Also restraint from posting doubts of a question into another question's thread for avoiding confusion to others.

Hope this helps :)

Regards
Harsh
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
amitdgr wrote:
If 0 < x < 1, which of the following inequalities must be true ?

I. \(x^5 < x^3\)

A. None
B. I only
C. II only
D. I and II only
E. I, II and III

I've started with I: just pick x=1/2 --> 1/32<1/8. Now look at the answer choices -which would be easier to test. As we already know "I" is correct, now, if we test III and it's correct, we don't need to test II anymore, because the only answer choice that has I and III is E.
If you manipulate III as stated in many solutions here, one can see that it must be true --> Answer E (we could save some time by picking III after I)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [3]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Kudos