GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jul 2018, 00:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If 8x > 3x + 4x, what is the value of the integer x?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Premium Member Reviews Badge
If 8x > 3x + 4x, what is the value of the integer x? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 04 Sep 2014, 04:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:47) correct 46% (02:35) wrong based on 169 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

(1) 6 – 4x > –2
(2) 3 – 2x ≤ 4 – x ≤ 5 – 2x

I have an explanation for this problem which goes against the general explanation. Please explain me why I am wrong.

Here
8x> 3x+4x
8x>7x is the condition given in the question
so
if x<0 8x<7x
and if x>0 8x>7x So there is an ambiguity with the condition mentioned in the question. We cant right away decide that 8x>7x => 8x-7x>0 => x>0

Lets come to the options now

#1 6-4x >-2
=> x<2 and this condition does not help to solve the ambiguity in the Question stem as x can be -ve or +ve . so insufficient.

#2 3 – 2x ≤ 4 – x ≤ 5 – 2x
=> -1≤ x≤ 1 which also says that x can be +ve or -ve . So cant resolve the ambiguity in the question stem. Not sufficient

I would choose the 5th option for this data sufficiency question as the statements are not sufficient individually or collectively.

But the right answer is individually both the conditions are sufficient i.e D

What is wrong with my explanation????

need help ASAP as i feel i'm kinda ambiguous with regards to inequality data sufficiency problems. Thank you.

Originally posted by sasha40612 on 03 Sep 2014, 21:45.
Last edited by Bunuel on 04 Sep 2014, 04:35, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
P
Re: If 8x > 3x + 4x, what is the value of the integer x? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 22:03
sasha40612 wrote:
(1) 6 – 4x > –2

I have an explanation for this problem which goes against the general explanation. Please explain me why I am wrong.

Here
8x> 3x+4x
so
if x<0 8x<7x
and if x>0 8x>7x So there is an ambiguity with the condition mentioned in the question. We cant right away decide that 8x>7x => 8x-7x>0 => x>0

Not correct. You are given that 8x is greater than 3x + 4x.
What does this mean "If x is positive, what is the value of x+2?" - It means that x is given to be positive and keeping that in mind, you need to find the value of x+2.

Similarly, here you are given that 8x > 3x + 4x and you have to find x. Since you are given that 8x > 7x, you cannot consider that 8x < 7x.
We can right away say that x > 0.

Karishma
Private Tutor for GMAT

Intern
Intern
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 22:12
Ok I get it. I'm the one who is making these problems complex. So if in the above question 8x>7x means x>0.

Lets say instead of 8x>7x if the condition is x not equal to zero with the same conditions, then both the conditions are not sufficient individually or collectively right?
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 22:41
Hi Sasha,

As per the condition in the question statement,We get x > 0

Now from first condition we get..
6 -4x > -2
8>4x
x<2
now it is said that x is an integer which is greater than 0 and less than 2. So it has to be 1 . Therefore,x=1 .Statement 1 alone is sufficient.

Now from the Second condition, we get

3-2x ≤ 4-x ≤ 5-2x
solving this we get..

-1≤ x ≤ 1
Now we already know that x>0 so from the above equation and keeping in mind that x is greater than 0 ,We get..
0<x≤1
Thus,getting an integral solution x=1.Therefore,Statement 2 alone is sufficient.
Answer is D.

Press Kudos!! if you like my post !!! :)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2014, 03:53
sasha40612 wrote:
(1) 6 – 4x > –2

Here
8x> 3x+4x
so
if x<0 8x<7x

#1 6-4x >-2
=> x<2 and this condition does not help to solve the ambiguity in the Question stem as x can be -ve or +ve . so insufficient.

=> -1≤ x≤ 1 which also says that x can be +ve or -ve . So cant resolve the ambiguity in the question stem. Not sufficient

I would choose the 5th option for this data sufficiency question as the statements are not sufficient individually or collectively.

need help ASAP as i feel i'm kinda ambiguous with regards to inequality data sufficiency problems. Thank you.

let me try to explain.

If 8x > 3x + 4x, this implies 8x -7x > 0 => x > 0, so x is +ve

lets assume, question is asking what is the value of integer x.

st # 1 => 6-4x>-2, this can be simplified to, -4x > -8

removed -ve sign, we have

4x < 8, now since 8 is > 4x, that means x can't be 2, in that case it will be equal and x has to be greater then 0, so value is 1. Sufficient.

St# 2 , 3 – 2x ≤ 4 – x ≤ 5 – 2x

add +2x , we have => 3 ≤ 4 + x ≤ 5

subtract -4, we have ==> -1≤x≤1,

now it shows x can be -1,0 or 1. question says integer x, so 0 is not considered, it also says x > 0, so -ve is also gone.

we have the answer as x=1, Sufficient.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2015, 00:09
sasha40612 wrote:

(1) 6 – 4x > –2

Here
8x> 3x+4x
so
if x<0 8x<7x

#1 6-4x >-2

The key thing to note with this problem is that x is an integer. That means it can't be 1.4 or 1.7, etc. (1) tells us that x<2 and we already know that x>0, so we then know that x has to equal one, because it is the only integer in between those numbers.

(2) tells us that -1≤ x≤ 1 and since we know that x>0, the only integer available is 1, making each one sufficient

Eliza
GMAT Tutor
bestgmatprepcourse.com

Manager
Manager
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2015, 12:08
Given
From the question stem, we can infer several things:
- Constraint: x is an integer.
- Since 8x > 7x, then x is positive.
- The question asks about a definite value of x, but both the question stem and the statements are inequalities. Mmmmh interesting...

Statement 1
Solve the inequality to get x < 2. Since the question stem has already told us that x is a positive integer, then the only possible answer is x = 1.

Statement 2
Solve the compound inequality. First adding to ALL 3 PARTS +2x and then -4. You´ll get -1 ≤ x ≤ 1. Since the question stem has already told us that x is a positive integer, then the only possible answer is x = 1.

OA = D

Takeaways
- Translate the question stem and statements
- Pay attention to constraints. If you had missed that x is an integer, you would have yield to a different, yet incorrect answer. Be careful with this.

Consider giving me Kudos if I helped, but don´t take them away if I didn´t! :)

What would you do if you weren´t afraid?

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 18:22
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: If 8x > 3x + 4x, what is the value of the integer x?   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2018, 18:22

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap