Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:44 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [11]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3092 [2]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Re: Special a & b [#permalink]
Bookmarks
ahatoval wrote:
Hey guys,

I need your help again. Could anybody please explain why the answer is B?

If a > 0, is 2/(a+b) + 2/(a-b) = 1?

(1) b = 0
(2) a^2 − b^2 = 4a

My answer was D. I thought that STATEMENT 1 was SUFFICIENT to answer the question, because the question is not asking if the equation is 1 or not. It is asking if the info provided is SUFFICIENT to answer the question or not.

Thanks

From F.S 1, we know that the given expression condenses to 2/a+2/a = 4/a. The question stem asks, whether this is equal to 1. For a=4, we will have an affirmative answer, however for a=2,we would not get 1. Thus, as the answer from F.S 1, depends on the value of a, which is not unique, Statement A is not sufficient.

From F.S 2, we can simplify the given statement as\(\frac{[2(a-b)+2(a+b)]}{a^2-b^2} = \frac{4a}{a^2-b^2}\)= 4a/4a = 1[a is not equal to zero]. Thus F.S 2 is infact sufficient.

B.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: GNGO2, SSCRB
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.33
WE:Analyst (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Special a & b [#permalink]
ahatoval wrote:
Hey guys,

I need your help again. Could anybody please explain why the answer is B?

(1) b = 0
(2) a^2 − b^2 = 4a

My answer was D. I thought that STATEMENT 1 was SUFFICIENT to answer the question, because the question is not asking if the equation is 1 or not. It is asking if the info provided is SUFFICIENT to answer the question or not.

Thanks

-----------------------------------

Okay...... First it is given that a>0, Now, Question asks Is 2/(a+b) +2/(a-b) = 1 ?? That means Is Left Hand Side = Right Hand Side?? Now, First Rephrase the Question.
I.e., 2/(a+b) +2/(a-b) = 1 ⇒ (2a-2b+2a+2b)/(a^2-b^2 ) = 1 ⇒ (2a+2a)/(a^2-b^2 ) = 1 ⇒ 4a/(a^2-b^2 ) =1 ?? , So the Question basically asks ::

Is 4a/(a^2-b^2 ) =1 ?

Statement: 1 Says b=0 if we plugin b=0 in the equation given, the LHS ≠ RHS. Therefore, It is clearly insufficient.
Statement: 2 says a2 – b2 = 4a, Now, when you plugin a2 – b2 = 4a in the equation provided in the Question, You will get Left Hand Side = Right Hand Side. Therefore, it is sufficient.
Hence, B only.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Re: If a > 0, is 2/(a+b) + 2/(a-b) = 1? [#permalink]
I am still confused. Your explanation says Statement 1 LHS is not equal to RHS ...doesn't that mean it is sufficient in saying whether the first statement is enough or not? I too selected D and cannot understand why A is not sufficient to answer the question...perhaps require an explanation from a different angle ??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 787 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
rsworase wrote:
I am still confused. Your explanation says Statement 1 LHS is not equal to RHS ...doesn't that mean it is sufficient in saying whether the first statement is enough or not? I too selected D and cannot understand why A is not sufficient to answer the question...perhaps require an explanation from a different angle ??

Statement 1 says b=0, but there is no information on a.
If a = 4, only then we will have 2/(a+b) + 2/(a-b) = 1.
Without any information on a, neither we can say LHS = RHS, nor we can say LHS # RHS. Hence, statement 1 is insufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
ahatoval wrote:

(1) b = 0
(2) a^2 − b^2 = 4a

Thanks

I got the answer as D.

From Statement 1, I got the value for a=4, substituting the value of a and b in the above equation proves that the expression is equal to 1. Not sure what am I missing here.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
I know the answer is B, but I chose A.

The question simplified: 4a = (a+b) (a-b)

1.) If b = 0, then a has to equal to 4, then we can plug in a and b to to figure if [2/(a+b)] +[2/(a-b)] = 1 ?
b+ 0
4a = (a+b) (a-b) = (a^2)-(b^2)
4a = (a+0) (a-0) = (a^2)-(0)
a = 4

2.) I understand when you simplify the question, you get the same statement as statement two. However, I am having a hard time interpreting how this helps determine if statement is equal to 1. How can I figure if 4a = (a+b) (a-b) = (a^2)-(b^2) is equal to 1 ?

Am I missing something or assuming something extra?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
The answer should be C. It is essential to mention that a not equal to b, which is not done in the given details. But if we consider the given fact a>0 and statement 1: b=0 together, this can be true only if b=0, a>0 which means a not equal to be.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
Send PM
viswanathnittala wrote:
The answer should be C. It is essential to mention that a not equal to b, which is not done in the given details. But if we consider the given fact a>0 and statement 1: b=0 together, this can be true only if b=0, a>0 which means a not equal to be.

Because statement 1 is INSUFF, statement 2 is SUFF, therefore the answer can't be C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
I am unable to see options for any DS question. Can anyone help as soon as possible? :(
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
aksh5900 wrote:
I am unable to see options for any DS question. Can anyone help as soon as possible? :(

This is a data sufficiency question. Options for DS questions are always the same.

The data sufficiency problem consists of a question and two statements, labeled (1) and (2), in which certain data are given. You have to decide whether the data given in the statements are sufficient for answering the question. Using the data given in the statements, plus your knowledge of mathematics and everyday facts (such as the number of days in July or the meaning of the word counterclockwise), you must indicate whether—

A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient to answer the question asked.
B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient to answer the question asked.
C. BOTH statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are sufficient to answer the question asked, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient to answer the question asked.
D. EACH statement ALONE is sufficient to answer the question asked.
E. Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question asked, and additional data specific to the problem are needed.

I suggest you to go through the following posts:
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT.
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread

Hope this helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
ahatoval wrote:

(1) b = 0
(2) a^2 − b^2 = 4a

Thanks

With algebra ds always try to see if you can rewrite the original equation to find the hidden inference/question

2(a-b) + 2(a +b) / a^2-b^2
2a-2b +2a +2b/a^2-b^2
4a/ a^2-b^2

St 1

We don't know what A is and even if we cancel out terms we could still have different scenarios (e.x if A is 1 vs 3 the answer will be different)

insuff

St 2

Essentially

4a/4a = 1

suff

B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.9
WE:Education (Accounting)
Send PM
[quote="ahatoval"]If a > 0, is 2/(a+b) + 2/(a-b) = 1?

(1) b = 0
(2) a^2 − b^2 = 4a

the stem says whether 2a -2b +2a+2b /a^2 -b^2 =1 or, 4a = a^2 -b^2
1) when b =0, a has to be either 0 or 4 to answer the stem in YES. (4a -a^2 =0 , a(4-a)=0). Although w know a > 0, but we don't know the exact value of a. not sufficient.
2) directly answer the question. sufficient
B is the answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

Why is the ans not D here. From statement 1, we know that b=0, by substituting this value in the given equation, we get a=4, so both these values when substituted in the original equation, gives 1. Hence it is sufficient. I am having a hard time placing it as to why stmnt 1 is not sufficient. TIA!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618584 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Niha01 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Why is the ans not D here. From statement 1, we know that b=0, by substituting this value in the given equation, we get a=4, so both these values when substituted in the original equation, gives 1. Hence it is sufficient. I am having a hard time placing it as to why stmnt 1 is not sufficient. TIA!

The point is that when you substitute b = 0 into the QUESTION, the QUESTION becomes "does a = 4?". We don't know that, hence (1) is not sufficient. Notice that we are NOT given that 2/(a+b) + 2/(a-b) = 1. The question asks: "IS 2/(a+b) + 2/(a-b) = 1?".
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts