GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 25 May 2018, 05:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If a, b and n are positive integers such that n = 3a – b3

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
avatar
G
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 745
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: If a, b and n are positive integers such that n = 3a – b3 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 06:13
Bunuel, abhimahna, and @e-gmat

I got confused with the statements like others.

The question I interpreted was:

If a, b, and n are positive integers such that n= 3*a-b^3, is n^2+3 divisible by 2?

Given:
1) a,b,n >0
2) n= 3(a-b^3)

To find:
n^2+3 will be divisible by 2 when n^2+3 is even.
n^2+3 will be even when n is odd (odd+odd= even).


So the question becomes: Find the even- odd nature of n.

Statement 1:
(a^2-4)*(b^3-5)=0

a^2*b^3-5a^2-4b^3+20=0
a^2*b^3-5a^2-4b^3= -20
a^2*b^3-5a^2= Even+4b^3= Even

Possible cases:
1) Even-even= Even
Then a and b are even.
So n= even

2) Odd-Odd= Even
Then a and b are odd.
So n= 3(odd-odd)= even

Sufficient.

Statement 2: 3b^3-a^2+6= 0

3b^3-a^2= -6= Even

That means 3b^3-a^2 is even.
Therefore either a and b are even or odd.

Sufficient.


D


This is what I interpreted and marked D as the answer. I know this is not the question but if the question was framed like this, then would this be correct?
_________________

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Oct 2016
Posts: 124
CAT Tests
If a, b and n are positive integers such that n = 3a – b3 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2018, 21:07
I solved this using the method posted by e-gmat. Only diff is that i ignored 3 from n=3a-\(b^{3}\) -> n =a-\(b{^3}\). Reason 3 is odd so doesn't play a role in even/odd of n. Eventually we just need to determine if a and b are a combination of even odd numbers for n to become an odd number so that its divisible by 2.
DS Forum Moderator
avatar
G
Joined: 22 Aug 2013
Posts: 1145
Location: India
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: If a, b and n are positive integers such that n = 3a – b3 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2018, 22:58
Shiv2016 wrote:
Bunuel, abhimahna, and @e-gmat

I got confused with the statements like others.

The question I interpreted was:

If a, b, and n are positive integers such that n= 3*a-b^3, is n^2+3 divisible by 2?

Given:
1) a,b,n >0
2) n= 3(a-b^3)

To find:
n^2+3 will be divisible by 2 when n^2+3 is even.
n^2+3 will be even when n is odd (odd+odd= even).


So the question becomes: Find the even- odd nature of n.

Statement 1:
(a^2-4)*(b^3-5)=0

a^2*b^3-5a^2-4b^3+20=0
a^2*b^3-5a^2-4b^3= -20
a^2*b^3-5a^2= Even+4b^3= Even

Possible cases:
1) Even-even= Even
Then a and b are even.
So n= even

2) Odd-Odd= Even
Then a and b are odd.
So n= 3(odd-odd)= even

Sufficient.

Statement 2: 3b^3-a^2+6= 0

3b^3-a^2= -6= Even

That means 3b^3-a^2 is even.
Therefore either a and b are even or odd.

Sufficient.


D


This is what I interpreted and marked D as the answer. I know this is not the question but if the question was framed like this, then would this be correct?


Hi Shiv

I think you have misinterpreted what was written in the question. n is NOT 3*(a - b^3) But n = (3*a) - (b^3)

Also the first statement is NOT (a^2-4)*(b^3-5)=0, Instead first statement is (a^2) - 4*(b^3) - 5 = 0.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Jul 2017
Posts: 52
Re: If a, b and n are positive integers such that n = 3a – b3 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 08:22
Can I get more questions like this, I need to practice more of these. I am facing difficulties in concept applications.

Thanks!
_________________

Ujjwal
Sharing is Gaining!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 45422
Re: If a, b and n are positive integers such that n = 3a – b3 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 10:13
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ujjwal80 wrote:
Can I get more questions like this, I need to practice more of these. I am facing difficulties in concept applications.

Thanks!


Check Our Questions' Banks


For more:
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread

Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Jul 2017
Posts: 52
If a, b and n are positive integers such that n = 3a – b3 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 10:37
Bunuel wrote:
ujjwal80 wrote:
Can I get more questions like this, I need to practice more of these. I am facing difficulties in concept applications.

Thanks!


Check Our Questions' Banks


For more:
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread

Hope it helps.


Wow! Thanks for sharing such a useful resource Bunuel, this is great.
_________________

Ujjwal
Sharing is Gaining!

If a, b and n are positive integers such that n = 3a – b3   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2018, 10:37

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

If a, b and n are positive integers such that n = 3a – b3

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.