Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16650 [127]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618924 [61]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [6]
Given Kudos: 142
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16650 [3]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V45
GPA: 2.9
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: If a, b, c, d and e are integers and p=2^a3^b and q=2^c3 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel - you are a LEGEND. Many thanks for the lovely explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Kudos
The question here is, whether b >= d.
Why is that? p and q are given in their prime factorization. If q has more twos and/or fives in its prime factorisation than p, it won't result in a non-terminating decimal, Remainder of 2 can only be 1: 1/2=0.5 and remainders of 5 result in: 1/5=0.2, 2/5=0.4 3/5=0.6 and 4/5=0.8.

However, this is not the case with the 3. If q has more threes than p, you can cancel all of the threes in the numerator, but there will remain some threes in the denominator, resulting in a non-terminating decimal, because 1/3=0.33333 and 2/3=0.666666

Statement (1) gives us no information about b and d.
Statement (2) does. There are fewer threes in the denominator. They will cancel with some of the threes in the numerator. Therefore, this statement is sufficient. We know that p/q will be a terminating decimal.

I hope my explanation is good enough.

Originally posted by Zinsch123 on 02 Sep 2012, 06:20.
Last edited by Zinsch123 on 02 Sep 2012, 06:29, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2136 [3]
Given Kudos: 43
WE:Science (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
himanshuhpr wrote:
what if b = -2 & d = -3 , then we have a case for terminating decimal ?? because the denominator now would be in 2^m * 5^n form.

Yes, \(p/q\) will be a terminating decimal. For \(b = -2\) and \(d = -3, b > d.\)

Since \(p/q = 2^{a-c}3^{b-d}5^{-e}\), the given ratio is a terminating decimal if and only if \(b-d\geq{0}\) or \(b\geq{d}.\) Which means there is no factor of 3 in the denominator, only factors of 2 and/or 5, if at all. If in addition \(a\geq{c}\) and \(e\leq{0}\), the given ratio is in fact an integer, which is a terminating decimal.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
As I understand, in order to be a non-terminating decimal we should be able to convert a number into X/99 format. If b>d then there is no way we can get 99 in the denominator and hence it will always be a terminating decimal. Thus, B is an answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [2]
Given Kudos: 102
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Bunuel,

Quick question on this rule.
How about 1/15? it can be written as 1/2^0 * 3 * 5. The denominator has 5, but the fraction is not a terminating decimal. Can you please explain why?

Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
If a, b, c, d and e are integers and p = 2^a3^b and q = 2^c3^d5^e, is p/q a terminating decimal?
(1) a > c
(2) b > d

Any idea what is the concept behind this question to get a answer B?

Theory:
Reduced fraction \(\frac{a}{b}\) (meaning that fraction is already reduced to its lowest term) can be expressed as terminating decimal if and only \(b\) (denominator) is of the form \(2^n5^m\), where \(m\) and \(n\) are non-negative integers. For example: \(\frac{7}{250}\) is a terminating decimal \(0.028\), as \(250\) (denominator) equals to \(2*5^3\). Fraction \(\frac{3}{30}\) is also a terminating decimal, as \(\frac{3}{30}=\frac{1}{10}\) and denominator \(10=2*5\).

Note that if denominator already has only 2-s and/or 5-s then it doesn't matter whether the fraction is reduced or not.

For example \(\frac{x}{2^n5^m}\), (where x, n and m are integers) will always be the terminating decimal.

We need reducing in case when we have the prime in denominator other then 2 or 5 to see whether it could be reduced. For example fraction \(\frac{6}{15}\) has 3 as prime in denominator and we need to know if it can be reduced.

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION:
If a, b, c, d and e are integers and p = 2^a3^b and q = 2^c3^d5^e, is p/q a terminating decimal?

Question: is \(\frac{2^a*3^b}{2^c*3^d*5^e}\) a terminating decimal? The question basically asks whether we cans reduce 3^d in the denominator so to have only powers of 2 and 5 left, which can be rephrased is b (the power of 3 in the nominator) greater than or equal to d (the power of 3 in the denominator): is b>=d?

(1) a > c. Not sufficient.
(2) b > d. Sufficient.

Answer: B.

Hope it helps.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618924 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
TARGET730 wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Quick question on this rule.
How about 1/15? it can be written as 1/2^0 * 3 * 5. The denominator has 5, but the fraction is not a terminating decimal. Can you please explain why?

Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
(1) a > c
(2) b > d

Theory:
Reduced fraction \(\frac{a}{b}\) (meaning that fraction is already reduced to its lowest term) can be expressed as terminating decimal if and only \(b\) (denominator) is of the form \(2^n5^m\), where \(m\) and \(n\) are non-negative integers. For example: \(\frac{7}{250}\) is a terminating decimal \(0.028\), as \(250\) (denominator) equals to \(2*5^3\). Fraction \(\frac{3}{30}\) is also a terminating decimal, as \(\frac{3}{30}=\frac{1}{10}\) and denominator \(10=2*5\).

Note that if denominator already has only 2-s and/or 5-s then it doesn't matter whether the fraction is reduced or not.

For example \(\frac{x}{2^n5^m}\), (where x, n and m are integers) will always be the terminating decimal.

We need reducing in case when we have the prime in denominator other then 2 or 5 to see whether it could be reduced. For example fraction \(\frac{6}{15}\) has 3 as prime in denominator and we need to know if it can be reduced.

Question: is \(\frac{2^a*3^b}{2^c*3^d*5^e}\) a terminating decimal? The question basically asks whether we cans reduce 3^d in the denominator so to have only powers of 2 and 5 left, which can be rephrased is b (the power of 3 in the nominator) greater than or equal to d (the power of 3 in the denominator): is b>=d?

(2) b > d. Sufficient.

Hope it helps.

1/15 = 1/(3*5). For a reduced fraction to be terminating, the denominator of the fraction should NOT have any prime but 2 or/and 5.

Check Terminating and Recurring Decimals Problems in our Special Questions Directory.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Schools: Babson '14
GMAT Date: 02-28-2013
Send PM
Kudos
what if b = -2 & d = -3 , then we have a case for terminating decimal ?? because the denominator now would be in 2^m * 5^n form.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618924 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
priyanknema wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
(1) a > c
(2) b > d

Theory:

(2) b > d. Sufficient.

Hope it helps.

-----------------

as you said that both the numerator and denominator should be reduced to the lower term ,,, but as in the question, it was clearly seen that 2^a and 2^c is present in both numerator and denominator so the term is not reduced to its lowest term...

now from statement 1, we can clearly state that 2 will not present in the denominator and we have to have only 2 and 5 in the denominator to say that the term would be terminating. Hence statement 1 looks sufficient to me

could you please help me explain this ?

If the denominator of a reduced fraction has only 2's OR only 5's OR only 2's and 5's the fraction will be a terminating decimal.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM