GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 15:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If a circle passes through points (1, 2), (2, 5), and (5, 4)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: If a circle passes through points (1, 2), (2, 5), and (5, 4)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2014, 08:11
Thanks again Bunuel :)

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Expert Post
Math Expert
V
Re: Cord Geometry  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2014, 07:45
gauravsoni wrote:
lonewolf wrote:
Good method. Simple and quick.

Just for refreshing memories... If two chords of a circle form a right angle degree (for example: AB, BC), then the chord AC must be the diameter of the circle.

Is the above statement always true?

but how do we get to know that the right angle is formed ?

Check here: if-a-circle-passes-through-points-1-2-2-5-and-42105.html#p672194

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2014, 09:27
Bunuel wrote:
gauravsoni wrote:
lonewolf wrote:
Good method. Simple and quick.

Just for refreshing memories... If two chords of a circle form a right angle degree (for example: AB, BC), then the chord AC must be the diameter of the circle.

Is the above statement always true?

I understand that if a right triangle is formed then the side will be the diameter. But in the question how do we come to know that a right angle triangle is being formed ?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2014, 08:51
gauravsoni wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
gauravsoni wrote:

I understand that if a right triangle is formed then the side will be the diameter. But in the question how do we come to know that a right angle triangle is being formed ?

I guess you did not read that post to the end:

The slope of line segment: A(1,2) and B(2,5) is 3 AND the slope of line segment: B(2,5) and C(5,4) is -1/3, the slopes are negative reciprocals hence these line segments are perpendicular to each other. We have right triangle ABC, AC=hypotenuse=Diameter.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 4
WE: Other (Other)

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2015, 08:43
Hi Friends,

This Q can b solved under a minute, as the question asks for the diameter, we know that the value must be 2*radius i.e. and among the options mentioned only sqrt(20) can be identified as 2*sqrt(5). Hence option B

Hopes it makes sense.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2016, 07:39
Since the formula is (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2. How did you take (a-1)^2 + (b-2)^2 = r^2?

Fig wrote:
(B) for me :)

The equation of circle C in the XY plan is :
(x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2

Where :
o (a,b) is the center of the circle
o r is the radius of the circle

Knowing that, u can plug the coordonates of each points to get a, b and r.

(1, 2) on C implies:
(a-1)^2 + (b-2)^2 = r^2
<=> a^2 -2*a + 1 + b^2 - 4*b + 4 = r^2 (1)

(2, 5) on C implies:
(a-2)^2 + (b-5)^2 = r^2
<=> a^2 -4*a + 4 + b^2 - 10*b + 25 = r^2 (2)

(5, 4) on C implies:
(a-5)^2 + (b-4)^2 = r^2
<=> a^2 -10*a + 25 + b^2 -8*b + 16 = r^2 (3)

(1) - (2)
<=> 2*a - 3 + 6*b -21 =0
<=> 2*a + 6*b = 24
<=> a + 3*b = 12 (4)

(1) - (3)
<=> 8*a -24 + 4*b - 12 = 0
<=> 2*a + b = 9 (5)

(5) -2*(4)
<=> -5*b = -15
<=> b = 3

From (1), we find a :
a = 12 - 3*b = 12 - 3*3 = 3

Still from (1):
(a-1)^2 + (b-2)^2 = r^2
<=> (2)^2 + (1)^2 = r^2
<=> r = sqrt(5)

Thus,
D = 2*sqrt(5) = sqrt(20)
Manager
Manager
Schools: IIMB

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2016, 08:49
Bunuel wrote:
gottabwise wrote:
lonewolf: I'd like to know the answer as well. Great question.

I got B. Draw a coord plane, plotted pts, draw right triangle. Used distance formula for each side. Thought about the radius formula for circumscribed circles. Nixed idea. Noticed isoceles right triangle and realized sqrt 20 was diameter b/c it's the hypotenuse. Ended there. Glad I tried the problem.

A right triangle inscribed in a circle must have its hypotenuse as the diameter of the circle. The reverse is also true: if the diameter of the circle is also the triangle’s hypotenuse, then that triangle is a right triangle.
Attachment:
Math_Tri_inscribed.png

So: If two chords of a circle form a right angle degree (for example: AB, BC), then the chord AC must be the diameter of the circle. TRUE.

As for the question: the slope of line segment: A(1,2) and B(2,5) is 3 AND the slope of line segment: B(2,5) and C(5,4) is -1/3, the slopes are negative reciprocals hence these line segments are perpendicular to each other. We have right triangle ABC, AC=hypotenuse=Diameter.

Also one tip: any three points, which are not collinear, define the unique circle on XY-plane. For more please see the Triangles and Circles chapters of Math Book in my signature.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunnuel,

Thanks a lot for your explanation, really helped me. However just wanted to understand how do we calculate the diameter if its not the right angle triangle in a circle. Apologies if this sounds too basic. I made a graph of the same, unable to analyze what could be diameter in such question.

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Regards
Megha
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 21:26
bz9 wrote:
If a circle passes through points \((1, 2)\), \((2, 5)\), and \((5, 4)\), what is the diameter of the circle?

A. \(\sqrt{18}\)
B. \(\sqrt{20}\)
C. \(\sqrt{22}\)
D. \(\sqrt{26}\)
E. \(\sqrt{30}\)

Let us consider the origin is at (x,y)
so from distance formula
(x-1)^2+ (y-2)^2 =r^2 ..................................1
(x-2)^2+(y-5)^2= r^2 ..................................2
(x-5)^2+(x-4)^2 =r^2 ..................................3
on solving 1 and 2 we get x+3y =12 ..................4
on solving 1 and 3 we get 2x+ 6y=9 ..................5
now solve 4 and 5
(x,y)= (3,3) and is the center
Sqrt((3-1)^2+(3-2)^2)= sqrt( 4+ 1)= sqrt(5)= radius
Diamiter = 2*radius = 2* sqrt(5) = sqrt(20)
hence B

You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come.

Give Kudos if you like my post

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2018, 03:32
I have a question:

It is a PS question, so the stem has to be enough to answer the question.
If ABC wasn't a right triangle, it wouldn't be possible.

Therefore, I believe checking whether there is or not a right angle is not necessary and we should jump straight to calculating the distance between (1,2) and (5,4) because it has to be the hypotenuse (ergo the diameter).

Do you agree?

Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
If a circle passes through points (1, 2), (2, 5), and (5, 4)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2018, 13:18
bz9 wrote:
If a circle passes through points \((1, 2)\), \((2, 5)\), and \((5, 4)\), what is the diameter of the circle?

A. \(\sqrt{18}\)
B. \(\sqrt{20}\)
C. \(\sqrt{22}\)
D. \(\sqrt{26}\)
E. \(\sqrt{30}\)

\(1st Method:\)

The equation of circle with \((h,k)\) as centre is given by, \((x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2\)
As per the given equation,
\((1-h)^2+(2-k)^2 = r^2 ---------1\)
\((2-h)^2 + (5-k)^2 = r^2---------2\)
\((5-h)^3 + (4-k)^2 = r^2---------3\)

Solving above 3 equations we get, \((h,k) = (3,3)\). Therefore, \(D = \sqrt{20}.\)

\(2nd Method:\)

The Points A, B & C form a right angle traingle. Hnece, the diameter will be equal to the distance between the Points forming the Hypotenous.

If my Post helps you in Gaining Knowledge, Help me with KUDOS.. !!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 11:17
How do we exactly know that the line combining these two points go through the center? What if (in another question) it does not go through the center?
Re: If a circle passes through points (1, 2), (2, 5), and (5, 4) &nbs [#permalink] 28 Mar 2018, 11:17

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 32 posts ] 

If a circle passes through points (1, 2), (2, 5), and (5, 4)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap