It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 14:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If a cube is inscribed inside a sphere...

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Posts: 868

Kudos [?]: 1413 [0], given: 543

If a cube is inscribed inside a sphere... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2013, 06:04
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
If a cube is inscribed inside a sphere then the diagonal ( longest side) of the cube is equal to the diameter of the sphere?

the formula for diagonal of a cube is D = \(\sqrt{3}\)a

Is this correct? Can I apply this strategy for such questions?
_________________

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Kudos [?]: 1413 [0], given: 543

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 41892

Kudos [?]: 129158 [0], given: 12194

Re: If a cube is inscribed inside a sphere... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2013, 06:11
fozzzy wrote:
If a cube is inscribed inside a sphere then the diagonal (longest side) of the cube is equal to the diameter of the sphere?

the formula for diagonal of a cube is D = \(\sqrt{3}\)a

Is this correct? Can I apply this strategy for such questions?


Don't understand what you mean by the red parts: longest side in a cube? Also what do you mean by "such questions"?

Other than that all is correct.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 129158 [0], given: 12194

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Posts: 868

Kudos [?]: 1413 [0], given: 543

Re: If a cube is inscribed inside a sphere... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2013, 06:19
I was referring to the diagonal of the cube as the longest side...

An example of this question would be cube is inscribed inside in a sphere. Volume of sphere is provided and we have to find the surface area of the cube?


Bunuel wrote:
fozzzy wrote:
If a cube is inscribed inside a sphere then the diagonal (longest side) of the cube is equal to the diameter of the sphere?

the formula for diagonal of a cube is D = \(\sqrt{3}\)a

Is this correct? Can I apply this strategy for such questions?


Don't understand what you mean by the red parts: longest side in a cube? Also what do you mean by "such questions"?

Other than that all is correct.

_________________

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Kudos [?]: 1413 [0], given: 543

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 41892

Kudos [?]: 129158 [0], given: 12194

Re: If a cube is inscribed inside a sphere... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2013, 06:27
fozzzy wrote:
I was referring to the diagonal of the cube as the longest side...

An example of this question would be cube is inscribed inside in a sphere. Volume of sphere is provided and we have to find the surface area of the cube?


Bunuel wrote:
fozzzy wrote:
If a cube is inscribed inside a sphere then the diagonal (longest side) of the cube is equal to the diameter of the sphere?

the formula for diagonal of a cube is D = \(\sqrt{3}\)a

Is this correct? Can I apply this strategy for such questions?


Don't understand what you mean by the red parts: longest side in a cube? Also what do you mean by "such questions"?

Other than that all is correct.


An edge (side) of a cube is not the same as diagonal.

Questions to practice:
a-sphere-is-inscribed-in-a-cube-with-an-edge-of-10-what-is-127461.html
a-rectangular-box-has-dimensions-of-8-feet-8-feet-and-z-128483.html
for-the-cube-shown-above-what-is-the-degree-measure-of-pqr-13841.html
a-rectangular-box-is-10-inches-wide-10-inches-long-and-144733.html
if-the-box-shown-is-a-cube-then-the-difference-in-length-127463.html
what-is-the-volume-of-the-cube-above-103680.html

Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 129158 [0], given: 12194

Re: If a cube is inscribed inside a sphere...   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2013, 06:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

If a cube is inscribed inside a sphere...

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.