GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2019, 03:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

If a cube of dimension 4 by 4 by 4 is cut into 1 by 1 by 1 after pain

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
CEO
CEO
D
GMAT: INSIGHT
Schools: Darden '21
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
If a cube of dimension 4 by 4 by 4 is cut into 1 by 1 by 1 after pain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Aug 2016, 10:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

23% (03:10) correct 77% (02:35) wrong based on 91 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

If a cube of dimension 4 by 4 by 4 is cut into 1 by 1 by 1 after painting it by red color then which of the following is/are true.

I) Ratio of number of painted surfaces of resultant cubes to total number of surfaces is 1/4
II) Number of cubes having no faces pointed is equal to number of cubes having three faces painted.
III) Number of cubes having 2 faces painted is same as number of cubes having one face painted

a) None
b) II and III
c) II only
d) I, II & III
e) I & III only

Source: http://www.GMATinsight.com

e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Originally posted by GMATinsight on 01 Aug 2016, 10:50.
Last edited by GMATinsight on 01 Aug 2016, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 4
If a cube of dimension 4 by 4 by 4 is cut into 1 by 1 by 1 after pain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2016, 12:28
GMATinsight wrote:
If a cube of dimension 4 by 4 by 4 is cut into 1 by 1 by 1 after painting it by red color then which of the following is/are true.

Long explanation, probably too detailed

Hypercube facts (\(n=3\) for a cube):
\(2^n\text{ vertices} \\
2^{n−1}n\text{ edges}\\
2 + E - V \text{ faces}\)

For a cube: 8 vertices, 12 edges and 6 faces

Let \(G = 4\) be the size of the original cube.

I) Ratio of number of painted surfaces of resultant cubes to total number of surfaces is 1/4

There is 1 large cube with 6 sides of \(G^2\) painted faces.

There is \(G^3\) 1x1 cubes with 6 sides of surface area 1.

\(\frac{1 \times 6 \times G^2}{G^3 \times 6 \times 1} = \frac{G^2}{G^3} = G^{-1} = \frac{1}{4}\)

True

II) Number of cubes having no faces pointed is equal to number of cubes having three faces painted.

There are always 8 vertices on a cube, each vertex is the only 1x1 block which has 3 coloured faces.

Inside the cube, there is a secondary unpainted cube. Each side of this unpainted cube is equal to the size of the original cube minus two (on each axis, there will be two 1x1 cubes on the exterior of the larger cube). The size of this cube is \((G-2)^3\).

There are \((G-2)^3\) cubes with 0 sides painted. \(= 2^3 = 8\)
There are \(V = 2^3\) cubes with 3 sides painted \(= 8\)

True

III) Number of cubes having 2 faces painted is same as number of cubes having one face painted

There are 12 edges on a cube. Each edge consists of G cubes, two of which are the vertices of the cube (and have 3 colours), the rest have two colours.

On each exterior face, there is a square of \((G-2)\) cubes, surrounded by 4 vertex cubes and \((G-2) \times 4\) edge cubes.
Each square consists of \((G-2)^2\) 1-coloured faces. There is 1 square per face.

There are \((G-2)\times E\) cubes with 2 sides painted. \(= 2 \times 12 = 24\)
There are \((G-2)^2 \times F\) cubes with 1 side painted. \(= 2^2 \times 6 = 24\)

True

d) I, II & III

D
GMAT: INSIGHT
Schools: Darden '21
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge
Re: If a cube of dimension 4 by 4 by 4 is cut into 1 by 1 by 1 after pain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2016, 10:54
GMATinsight wrote:
If a cube of dimension 4 by 4 by 4 cuts into 1 by 1 by 1 after painting it by red color then which of the following is/are true.

a) None
b) II and III
c) II only
d) I, II & III
e) I & III only

Please check the detailed of calculating everything about the painted cubes as shown in attachment

Answer: option D
Attachments

File comment: www.GMATinsight.com
Answer 4.jpg
Answer 4.jpg [ 144.82 KiB | Viewed 1990 times ]

e-mail: info@GMATinsight.com I Call us : +91-9999687183 / 9891333772
Online One-on-One Skype based classes and Classroom Coaching in South and West Delhi
http://www.GMATinsight.com/testimonials.html

ACCESS FREE GMAT TESTS HERE:22 ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION
Intern
Intern
B
Re: If a cube of dimension 4 by 4 by 4 is cut into 1 by 1 by 1 after pain  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2019, 17:06
DAllison2016 wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:

Long explanation, probably too detailed

Hypercube facts (\(n=3\) for a cube):
\(2^n\text{ vertices} \\
2^{n−1}n\text{ edges}\\
2 + E - V \text{ faces}\)

For a cube: 8 vertices, 12 edges and 6 faces

Let \(G = 4\) be the size of the original cube.

There is 1 large cube with 6 sides of \(G^2\) painted faces.

There is \(G^3\) 1x1 cubes with 6 sides of surface area 1.

\(\frac{1 \times 6 \times G^2}{G^3 \times 6 \times 1} = \frac{G^2}{G^3} = G^{-1} = \frac{1}{4}\)

True

There are always 8 vertices on a cube, each vertex is the only 1x1 block which has 3 coloured faces.

Inside the cube, there is a secondary unpainted cube. Each side of this unpainted cube is equal to the size of the original cube minus two (on each axis, there will be two 1x1 cubes on the exterior of the larger cube). The size of this cube is \((G-2)^3\).

There are \((G-2)^3\) cubes with 0 sides painted. \(= 2^3 = 8\)
There are \(V = 2^3\) cubes with 3 sides painted \(= 8\)

True

There are 12 edges on a cube. Each edge consists of G cubes, two of which are the vertices of the cube (and have 3 colours), the rest have two colours.

On each exterior face, there is a square of \((G-2)\) cubes, surrounded by 4 vertex cubes and \((G-2) \times 4\) edge cubes.
Each square consists of \((G-2)^2\) 1-coloured faces. There is 1 square per face.

There are \((G-2)\times E\) cubes with 2 sides painted. \(= 2 \times 12 = 24\)
There are \((G-2)^2 \times F\) cubes with 1 side painted. \(= 2^2 \times 6 = 24\)

True

d) I, II & III

HI! Can you please explain how did you get G3 in the first statement?

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2019, 06:36
GMATinsight wrote:

a) None
b) II and III
c) II only
d) I, II & III
e) I & III only

given: large cube with side=4 has its faces painted in red, then its cut into small cubes with side=1;

num of smaller cubes is 4^3=64;
num of faces not red is (4-2)^3=8;
num of 1 red faces: (cubes in the center)(faces)=4•6=24
num of 2 red faces: (cubes in the edge that are not vertices)(edges)=2•12=24
num of 3 red faces: (cubes in the vertices)=8

Answer (D).
GMAT Club Bot
Re: If a cube of dimension 4 by 4 by 4 is cut into 1 by 1 by 1 after pain   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2019, 06:36

If a cube of dimension 4 by 4 by 4 is cut into 1 by 1 by 1 after pain

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics