It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

If a jury of 12 people is to be selected randomly from a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Reviews Badge
If a jury of 12 people is to be selected randomly from a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2016, 08:41
A guessing strategy from Magoosh:

When you see that the problem can be solved using the 1-(P of opposite), in this case 1-(P of 5 women being selected), find two choices among the answers that added together yield 1. (no calculations what so ever, just the addition of any two answers must have 1 as result)

In this case its A and D. No other answers combo gives you 1 as result of addition.

When you subtract 24/91 from 1 you get 67/97, so the final answer. And we are looking for these "pairs" in the answer choices.

The P(5 women being selected) is a trap answer for those who forget to subtract that from 1. So the existence of these trap-answers that are supposed to confuse you allows you to use this strategy on a well-designed, typical GMAT question.

Then you have a 50% guess or:

see that you have a +- 33% chance (A) and a +-66% chance (D) choices. You can reason that the nº of men is quite large so its likely that the jury will be comprised mostly of men. so D looks like a good guess.

Thanks to Magoosh ;)
Magoosh Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)
Re: If a jury of 12 people is to be selected randomly from a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2017, 08:30
Approach 1:-

Another way to solve this is "1-x" prob shortcut.
We need to know what is the probability of 7 men in jury, since it is the only way there are fewer than 8 men in jury ( maximum number of women is 5 ==> so 12-5=7 must be men). Then you have to 1-prob.of.7men.

1) All possible ways to assemble jury are : 15!/12!3!=455.
2) 7 of 10 men : 10!/7!3!=120
3) and the only way to include all women in jury is 5!/5!=1.

All possible ways to assemble 7men-5women jury will be 120*1=120.
Then, 120/455=24/91 - is the probability of 7 men and 5 woman in jury.
Hence, the probability that there will be more than 7 men in the jury is (1 - 24/91)=67/

Approach 2:-

there are total 10 men and 5 women
in 12 jury members, could be:

M W T
10+2=12
9+3=12
8+4=12
7+5=12
M-men , W-women T - total

So out of 4 possible outcomes 3 are favourbale, 1 is unfavorable, it is 3/4=0.75

67/91~73%., which is the closest to 3/4.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Non-Human User
Premium Member
Re: If a jury of 12 people is to be selected randomly from a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 10:47
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: If a jury of 12 people is to be selected randomly from a   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2018, 10:47

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

If a jury of 12 people is to be selected randomly from a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap